Make a donation

Author Topic: I have an itch.  (Read 4150 times)

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
I have an itch.
« on: May 23, 2010, 12:13:31 pm »
I have recently been wanting to get a bike, and with the weather recently it has made my itch worse. A couple of friends have 650cc restricted to 33bhp. (because we are 18).
I know a few people on here who are into bikes so I thought maybe they could give me some advice. I don't have any bike licence yet. Just a full UK car license. What would be the best route to get my bike licence? I know you have to do CBT and then your full licence to get on a 650 but it has to be restricted to 33bhp. What is the best option to get to the full test quickly?
I can ride a bike and have been out on my friends quite a lot (on private land). I need work obviously to perfect for the test.

Also what bike to look at getting. I have been looking at this one, which one of my friend has, and its looks the piece:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201013355770076/sort/priceasc/usedbikes/engine-size-bikes/490cc_to_675cc/model/er-6/make/kawasaki/radius/1501/quicksearch/true/page/6/postcode/wa11ts?logcode=p

Any other ones to be looking at?

What is high millage for a bike?

I bet now is the wrong time to buy a bike going into the summer so prices will be higher?

Cheers
Ollie :happy2:

Offline cmdrfire

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
Re: I have an itch.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 01:48:24 pm »
I'd wait a year tbh. You can do your direct access once you a 21 and don't need to be faffing around with retests. I understand that you'll need to do a retest for the direct access stuff to get onto bigger bikes.

Incidentally, I recently did my direct access so I could ride this:

Probably not sort of machine you're thinking of, but it's terrifying at any speed over 20mph which  makes it great fun to drive, and you get to feel like Steve McQueen. Plus it's superb offroad, if that's your thing.

Offline jimlad09

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 01:50:01 pm »
Thats an awesome bike! What is it? harley?

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 02:01:38 pm »
I'd wait a year tbh. You can do your direct access once you a 21 and don't need to be faffing around with retests. I understand that you'll need to do a retest for the direct access stuff to get onto bigger bikes.

Incidentally, I recently did my direct access so I could ride this:

Probably not sort of machine you're thinking of, but it's terrifying at any speed over 20mph which  makes it great fun to drive, and you get to feel like Steve McQueen. Plus it's superb offroad, if that's your thing.

Why would you wait a year cmdrfire? I will be 19 next year? I think if I pass my full test and ride with the bike restricted for two years I can have the restricter took off. (Is that what you are saying you need to sit another test to get it unrestricted?)

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 02:24:58 pm »
Also does anyone know any good insurance companies for new riders?  :happy2:

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 02:28:21 pm »
Thats an awesome bike! What is it? harley?

KMZ "Dnepr" K750M. Soviet military bike, copy of the WW2 BMW R71. 750cc engine with only about 20hp but millions of torque.

Why would you wait a year cmdrfire? I will be 19 next year? I think if I pass my full test and ride with the bike restricted for two years I can have the restricter took off. (Is that what you are saying you need to sit another test to get it unrestricted?)

Ah, thought you were 20. If you're only turning 19 maybe better to do it now. As I understand the rules you will have to sit another test to enable you to ride bikes over 33hp/500cc.

I'm wrong - looked at the direct.gov website and here is what it says:
Quote from: Alistair Darling
a standard motorcycle licence (A), is obtained if the practical test is taken on a bike of over 120 cc but not more than 125 cc and capable of at least 100 km/h per hour. After passing the standard motorcycle practical test, you will be restricted for two years to riding a bike of up to 25 kW and a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16 kW/kg. After this you may ride any size of bike

Means you can automagically drive any size of bike after 2 years.
But if you turn 21 during your "restriction period" and wish to move immediately to a bigger bike without waiting, you require the retest:
Quote from: Alistair Darling
Accelerated access

Riders who reach the age of 21, while still within the two year period where they are restricted to maximum 25 kW machines, but who wish to ride larger bikes need to pass a further test on a motorcycle of at least 35 kW. They may practice on bikes over 25 kW under the same practice conditions for direct access riders. You will revert to learner status while practicing (on a motorcycle greater than 25 kW) although test failure will not affect your existing licence.

Full deets here:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/motoring/learnerandnewdrivers/ridingmotorcyclesandmopeds/dg_4022568

Offline jimlad09

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 02:45:29 pm »
Looks brilliant, what made you buy that? Its very unconventional, i like it!

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 02:48:00 pm »
Thanks cmdrfire!  :happy2:

I have just rang my mate and he reckons the best way to go about it is book my CBT on a 125 geared. Then buy a cheap 125 to ride around on for a couple of months to get experience. Then go for my full test.

It seems reasonable, is this the way to do it? :happy2:

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 07:48:47 pm »
Looks brilliant, what made you buy that? Its very unconventional, i like it!

Look at it, how could I not buy it?  :rolleye: Is quite nuts, last time I drove it I had my brother in the sidecar and took a corner quite sharply, lifted him clear off the ground!  :scared: Drove like that for a few moments trying to figure out how to get him down and yelling at him to lean out!

Thanks cmdrfire!  :happy2:

I have just rang my mate and he reckons the best way to go about it is book my CBT on a 125 geared. Then buy a cheap 125 to ride around on for a couple of months to get experience. Then go for my full test.

It seems reasonable, is this the way to do it? :happy2:

That's the way I did it, except with direct access  :happy2: Do your CBT and your theory, get a bit of practice then you can pass your mod1/2 fairly easily. You'll love moving onto the bigger bike - when I started using a GS650 for my training/tests I found it much more stable and comfortable. The extra power is nice as well going onto roundabouts and the like. Always do your "lifesaver" check!  :rolleye:

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 46
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 07:58:06 pm »
I was the same and would advise waiting till you are 21 as it seems a lot easier! I decided to buy an S3 instead as no one wanted me to get a bike. I will get one some day, just not soon.

Also the missus said she would insure the S3 if i dont get a bike so i cant lose really  :signLOL:

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 11:37:54 pm »
I have exactly the thing for you mate, a 1999 Honda RVF400 with a restrictor kit to take it to 33bhp (one of the latest ones).

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,14739.0.html

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140410487697&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

In my opinion (and it's just my opinion), at your age you will always enjoy a sportsbike more than a sit up touring style

basically pass your test and your good to go (I bought it when I was 17, rode it restricted for 2 years then at 19 I took the restrictors out and used it for a year) I'm 20 now and i'm only selling because i've bought a Yamaha R6 yesterday :jumping:

If you want any mopre info about the tests or bike e.t.c drop me a P.M and i'll send you my mobile number :happy2:

Matt
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 11:46:57 pm by MattPoss »
Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........