Make a donation

Author Topic: Aircon kaput  (Read 2047 times)

Offline Rado16v

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Aircon kaput
« on: May 24, 2010, 09:17:36 am »
Hi,

We picked up our March 2007 Edition 30 a few weeks ago (enjoying it up until this point) and noticed this weekend the AC isn’t working. I’ve had a sniff around on the forum and see it’s a common issue. I’ll pop the bonnet open later tonight to try and see which compressor we have. I was hoping it would just need a re-gas.

Is there a sure way of me finding whether or not its the compressor? Think I stand any chance with the stealerships seeing as it’s under 3 months  out of warranty? Maybe I can take out extended warranty and have this covered later?

Appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks

Saint Steve

Re: Aircon kaput
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 11:02:45 am »
It most proberly needs re-charging with Argon.

Good luck getting the warranty to cough up, for some reason, most car dealers wont cover you for it. But that doesnt mean your dealership wont. Give them a call. If the cars been stood, which at only 16k, its more then likely it hasnt been used. So just a re-charge should sort it.

Offline danishmkvgti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 08:58:15 pm »
Hi,

We picked up our March 2007 Edition 30 a few weeks ago (enjoying it up until this point) and noticed this weekend the AC isn’t working. I’ve had a sniff around on the forum and see it’s a common issue. I’ll pop the bonnet open later tonight to try and see which compressor we have. I was hoping it would just need a re-gas.

Is there a sure way of me finding whether or not its the compressor? Think I stand any chance with the stealerships seeing as it’s under 3 months  out of warranty? Maybe I can take out extended warranty and have this covered later?

Appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks

an idea would be a mirror placed down be the side of the aircon axle, if briken the belt wheel will move and the axle stand still on the xezel model.
Haven't try it though  :scared:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 10:15:04 pm »
If you know anybody with VCDS put it on and do a code check, if its the compressor its likely to have a code stored even though you have no fault lights on. I cant remember the actual code i had but when doing a search on the code it's a very common problem with early compressors.

Gav

Offline Rado16v

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 07:20:42 pm »
Thank you guys for your help.

I'll try the vagcom and re-gassing first, seems to be the most cost effective ways.