Make a donation

Author Topic: steering rack...please help...16000 km  (Read 1267 times)

Offline shamrock

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
steering rack...please help...16000 km
« on: May 25, 2010, 09:05:23 pm »
Only 13 S3's where I come from so the mechanics are not so familiar.  I've had the car for the last 4000 km of its total 16000.  Ive always noticed a slight rattle from the front end when going over uneven road surfaces and I believe the rattle has gotten worse recently. I had a mechanic (not audi authorized) look over the car quickly.  Firstly, when the steering wheel is moved back and forth (only a 3 cm wiggle)  from any position I feel and hear a clunking noise.   When holding the tire and moving the steering wheel back/forth the clunk is felt more pronounced in the left tire.  The mechanic (only looked a couple minutes) feels that the steering rack is shot; however, I have yet to bring it to the audi garage.  The car has only 16000 km and I think the noise has been around a long time! The car has always been driven with extreme car and no agressivness.  I dont even speak the language here and a new rack costs about 4000 $. The car is three years old and no longer under warrantee.  Can anyone help me I am going tomorrow morning to the dealer and then I am on duty for a month.  Any clue as to whether this is a known problem.  Can anyone give me some technical links!!  Thanks

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: steering rack...please help...16000 km
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 06:08:59 pm »
The steering racks on earlier Mk 5 GTI's were failing quite a lot but the S3 is not to common on here so i am not sure you will get many answers.  :happy2:

Offline shamrock

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: steering rack...please help...16000 km
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 08:55:14 pm »
Where can I get some answers?  If anyone could relate to the symptoms which are general I would really appreciate it.