Make a donation

Author Topic: Axle Tramp, banging, etc....  (Read 4363 times)

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Axle Tramp, banging, etc....
« on: May 26, 2010, 11:08:23 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm new here so hello to you all  :pomppomp: :happy2:

I've had my Ed30 for 3 weeks now, and absolutely love the thing.  Its a Black 3 door, manual,  lovely example, one owner, standard car.

I noticed quite a bit of Axle tramp when it goes over 5k revs, and am looking for the best way to cure/lessen the issue.  I've read a few posts on the engine mounts being soft, (lower one first to replace I think) and the WALK threads, dog bone, poly suspension bushes,  ARB's  etc etc... 

I dont want to end up with a noisy cabin though as I do a fair few miles a year (track car mounts not reqd  :signLOL:

BTW: The car has just been custom mapped   :laugh: WOW  :laugh:   
Had: Edition 30, 3 Door Manual, Pearl Black, Cruise Control, IPod Prep, Arm Rest, Auto Lights and Wipers

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
Re: Axle Tramp, banging, etc....
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 11:28:34 pm »
In order to cure wheel hop you are going to have to tighten things up which will inevitably increase NVH.

I cant speak from experience as wheel hop isnt as issue for me, but from my early research when lining up a GTI, the WALK kit would definitely be the way to go, or consider the S3 bushes as a compromise?
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 11:35:01 pm »
In order to cure wheel hop you are going to have to tighten things up which will inevitably increase NVH.

I cant speak from experience as wheel hop isnt as issue for me, but from my early research when lining up a GTI, the WALK kit would definitely be the way to go, or consider the S3 bushes as a compromise?

Ah yes, sorry, I realise there will be some increase in vibration/noise, but I'd rather keep it to a minimum if possible. (Thanks for your reply by the way)
Had: Edition 30, 3 Door Manual, Pearl Black, Cruise Control, IPod Prep, Arm Rest, Auto Lights and Wipers

Offline djhorace

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 12:07:00 am »
It will still do it with WALK, Engine Mounts, Tranny Mount, stiff suspension etc.

Offline x18wag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 02:57:24 am »
dont mean to hijack your thread but what is wheel hop :ashamed:
blue graphite Gti, full leather, arm rest with 6disk changer, 18'' Monza 2's, now changed to Perscara's, rear (i cant see) parking sensors :p dual climate, pipercross panel filter. remus sports cat back to come

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 07:39:12 am »
wheel hop is caused by the engine rocking on its mounts.  when you accelerate and the wheel looses traction, the TCS will cut power causing the engine to rock.  This unsteadies the wheels, loosing traction again and then you are in a viscious circle.

An anti lit kit wouldnt solve wheel hop.  the best way to stop/reduce it is with uprated engine mounts.  the biggest difference will come from uprating the lower engine mount.  not too expensive but there is a drastic difference between mine and TFSI_mikes.  mine has the ECS dogbone insert, and his has the VWR lower mount. mine suffers the hop much more than his.

You could do the side and transmission mounts but then you will get more noise.

have a read through these mate

this is the cheapest but least effective metod(better than stock though)
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,393.0.html

lower mount
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,5082.0.html
full mounts
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6086.0.html
other alternative mounts
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9477.0.html

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 09:12:02 am »
wheel hop is caused by the engine rocking on its mounts.  when you accelerate and the wheel looses traction, the TCS will cut power causing the engine to rock.  This unsteadies the wheels, loosing traction again and then you are in a viscious circle.

An anti lit kit wouldnt solve wheel hop.  the best way to stop/reduce it is with uprated engine mounts.  the biggest difference will come from uprating the lower engine mount.  not too expensive but there is a drastic difference between mine and TFSI_mikes.  mine has the ECS dogbone insert, and his has the VWR lower mount. mine suffers the hop much more than his.

You could do the side and transmission mounts but then you will get more noise.

have a read through these mate

this is the cheapest but least effective metod(better than stock though)
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,393.0.html

lower mount
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,5082.0.html
full mounts
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6086.0.html
other alternative mounts
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9477.0.html

Thats Great  :smiley: !   I think I will probably go with the VWR fast road lower mount first, and see if that does the job.  If not,  maybe side mounts too.

Thanks for your help with this  :happy2:

Saint Steve

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 09:43:57 am »
What tyres are you running fella??

If your keen to keep the cars feel as it is, then doing Walk kits, engine mounts WILL change the cars Characteristic's and potentially ruin what you say is good as standard.
Im the same , hate noise and more Vibration, which if you do any of these will induce more of it. Its a question on how much you are willing to tollerate tbh. Just food for thought before you get on the slope fella.  :wink:
Im running stage 2, decent grippy tyres and no complaints of excessive wheel bounce. Just a very controlled Right foot :smiley:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 09:46:09 am by Saint Steve »

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 10:36:09 am »

If your keen to keep the cars feel as it is, then doing Walk kits, engine mounts WILL change the cars Characteristic's and potentially ruin what you say is good as standard.
Im the same , hate noise and more Vibration, which if you do any of these will induce more of it. Its a question on how much you are willing to tollerate tbh. Just food for thought before you get on the slope fella.  :wink:
Im running stage 2, decent grippy tyres and no complaints of excessive wheel bounce. Just a very controlled Right foot :smiley:

This is exactly what I was getting at... You can't realistically have both. But, I think the WALK (or even the S3 components) will offer a reasonable compromise.

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 03:41:49 pm »

Hi,
Until this morning, I was running Continental Sportcontact 2.  Just been changed for Bridgestone Potenza RE050A but I've not let it loose in low gears yet since the swap.  I have however been feeding the power in gently since the remap, (essential) otherwise the fronts spin up (and bang) like crazy.  Its 290bhp there about, since mapping.

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 03:58:29 pm »
The other thing to consider is firmer suspension. If set up properly, this can vastly improve things with compromising ride too significantly. Firmer dampers and springs, particularly at the rear, will help to counter-act the front wheels being unloaded during acceleration which in turn will help to reduce the tendancy to hop or spin. Adjusting the rake could further improve things as well.

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 04:34:45 pm »
The other thing to consider is firmer suspension. If set up properly, this can vastly improve things with compromising ride too significantly. Firmer dampers and springs, particularly at the rear, will help to counter-act the front wheels being unloaded during acceleration which in turn will help to reduce the tendancy to hop or spin. Adjusting the rake could further improve things as well.

Thanks animal, :smiley:

Hopefully I can cure most of it with the lower mount, as I really wanted to leave the suspension stock for now having just bought the car.  On my previous motor, I did switch to Eibach Springs (Pro-Kit), which were very good indeed although they lowered the car more than stated and I ended up catching the front a fair bit.

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 04:37:09 pm »

Thanks animal, :smiley:

Hopefully I can cure most of it with the lower mount, as I really wanted to leave the suspension stock for now having just bought the car.  On my previous motor, I did switch to Eibach Springs (Pro-Kit), which were very good indeed although they lowered the car more than stated and I ended up catching the front a fair bit.

Springs alone kill OE dampers too, you'd need to consider up-rated dampers for a true benefit rather than just a lower right height.

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 06:44:20 pm »
Mark,

I was in exactly the same boat as you last year, having been remapped I had loads of wheel hop which sounded and felt horrible.

After a lot of research I went for the VWR lower sub-frame mount (fast road version) and can confirm that the wheel hop has 95% gone, the only vibration you can feel is slightly on start up and this dissapears after a thousand or so miles, there is no additinal cabin noise.

My car is the same as yours Ed30, manual and 3door (and black too) with no other chasis mods.

I was careful to avoid extra noise and vibration as I'm the wrong side of 30. Also you will not notice any other negative benefits.

Oh and the engine turns over easier as well, probably due to the lack of engine movement. :happy2:
GTI Edition 30 No. 907, 3 door, Black. (Now Sold)

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 07:19:49 pm »
A quick update on the Axle tramp issue I had.

Since changing the fronts to Bridgestone Potenza RE050A, the problem has 100% gone  :laugh:.  I was on the verge of ordering a lower mount from VWR, but the tyre swap has done the trick.  Anyone suffering the same issue just try the Potenza's. Mine are the 92Y version.  :happy2: