Make a donation

Author Topic: After Market Warranty  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Mr Punch

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 1
  • Has Pulled Cables At A Resonable Level
    • Email
After Market Warranty
« on: May 27, 2010, 04:09:14 pm »
Has anyone got any suggestions on after market warranties?

Spending quite a lot of my spare time on here lately......... now I've purchased a GTI...... .... reading some good & BAD stories.

My wife recently had a Mini Cooper S which we had on a Warranty Direct Policy...for some 2-3 years without a claim.

The wheel bearing went on the N/S/F it was a nightmare getting them to pay out.... :fighting:

I even took the car to the AA Auto centre (Halfords) to be fixed, instead of taking it to BMW Mini which I could of done.

Fair play to the Manager of AA Auto centre who persisted with the claim for us..... they finally gave them authorisation to carry out the repair after I paid the first £75.

If I had taken the car anywhere else It would not of got repaired.

So if I do decide to pay for some piece of mind with my GTI in the eventuality of something sizeable going wrong i.e...Turbo etc... who would you guy's recommend.

As I said above I'm a little bit weary of Warranty direct after last time...However it did get done in the end!.... but it was not a Major job!..... I dread to think if it was.

Are they really worth the paper they are written on?. :confused:

Thanks.
I Always Wanted A Black Golf GTI Now I Have One...Yippee

Offline x18wag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: After Market Warranty
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 04:19:48 pm »
call up Vw and just get and extended warrenty, prob one of the best ones altho i dont think its cheap, but they take your car in the garage look over it etc,   hope this helps
blue graphite Gti, full leather, arm rest with 6disk changer, 18'' Monza 2's, now changed to Perscara's, rear (i cant see) parking sensors :p dual climate, pipercross panel filter. remus sports cat back to come

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 04:30:23 pm »
VW's extended warranty has a claim limit, which a new turbo would exceed.

To be fair to Warranty Direct, their cover is good and more comprehensive than most if you go for the full package - which is expensive. I can understand them quibbling on a wheel bearing as this could be put down to wear and tear - which I'm sure is the defense they.

I'm currently weighing up my options as I want to get my DSG mech unit covered, but WD have quoted over £500 year...
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline x18wag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 04:33:41 pm »
ah i didnt know this,  i knew somone could help more than me  :signLOL:
blue graphite Gti, full leather, arm rest with 6disk changer, 18'' Monza 2's, now changed to Perscara's, rear (i cant see) parking sensors :p dual climate, pipercross panel filter. remus sports cat back to come

Offline Mr Punch

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 08:38:01 am »
VW's extended warranty has a claim limit, which a new turbo would exceed.

To be fair to Warranty Direct, their cover is good and more comprehensive than most if you go for the full package - which is expensive. I can understand them quibbling on a wheel bearing as this could be put down to wear and tear - which I'm sure is the defense they.

I'm currently weighing up my options as I want to get my DSG mech unit covered, but WD have quoted over £500 year...

Quoted £380 Think I'll put it away in a bank account? Just in case...For the record if my turbo went pop what would it cost approx for a new one.

Thanks

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 01:29:53 pm »
Ball park figure - £1500-1600. Turbo is ~£1000 on its own if memory serves.

Even out of warranty, VW may well contribute if the car has been serviced properly and it is agreed that the failure in premature.

I know of a few guys who have had £1000 contribution to failed MCU's on DSG 'boxes, despite being out of warranty.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline Mr Punch

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 01:40:08 pm »
Ball park figure - £1500-1600. Turbo is ~£1000 on its own if memory serves.

Even out of warranty, VW may well contribute if the car has been serviced properly and it is agreed that the failure in premature.

I know of a few guys who have had £1000 contribution to failed MCU's on DSG 'boxes, despite being out of warranty.

Yes it's got a fully Stamped service book by VW.....I'll keep the above comments in mind if anything goes, it's worth a try :happy2:

Offline Usual Suspect

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 03:13:02 pm »
Click4warranty.co.uk seemed reasonable. try them