Make a donation

Author Topic: Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) - Anyone had one replaced?  (Read 16857 times)

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 3
Re: Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) - Anyone had one replaced?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 08:27:11 am »

Nottingham dealer, it was daybrook one, its not a mount, its a feature LOL, quite a few cars do it, some people have solved it by adding a ECS dog bone mount under the car

out of interest what is you actual issue ?
[/quote]

182_blue - You kindly helped me with this before. I have a kind of reciprical creak/'chugg' only at the bite point. As is seems to sort of pulse, I thought that it might be the flywheel rather than a mount. Anyway, it developed into a vibration, so the dealer dropped the box and found a pressure plate spring bent. The clutch assy and bearing were replaced, and the DMF visually inspected and found OK. However, although the vibration has been rectified, the damn noise is still there! As it is quite frustrating (I use the car in traffic everyday now), I even offered to pay for the DMF while the box was out, but they naturally weren't keen.

Cheers!

Offline monk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 12:42:12 pm »
Does anyone know the  tolerances(backwards and forwards rotational play) on DMF so I can check if my 24K one is ok???
....German car fan...

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 03:04:02 pm »
Mine was opposite, they did the DMF under warranty and i paid to have a new clutch fitted at £225 all in

Nottingham dealer, it was daybrook one, its not a mount, its a feature LOL, quite a few cars do it, some people have solved it by adding a ECS dog bone mount under the car

out of interest what is you actual issue ?

182_blue - You kindly helped me with this before. I have a kind of reciprical creak/'chugg' only at the bite point. As is seems to sort of pulse, I thought that it might be the flywheel rather than a mount. Anyway, it developed into a vibration, so the dealer dropped the box and found a pressure plate spring bent. The clutch assy and bearing were replaced, and the DMF visually inspected and found OK. However, although the vibration has been rectified, the damn noise is still there! As it is quite frustrating (I use the car in traffic everyday now), I even offered to pay for the DMF while the box was out, but they naturally weren't keen.

Cheers!
[/quote]

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2010, 03:08:39 pm »

I paid £490 with discount from my dealer for a DMF. Was meant to be £590!  :fighting: :fighting:

GazbutS3 on here can buy them for around £260

HTH

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2010, 03:24:24 pm »

I paid £490 with discount from my dealer for a DMF. Was meant to be £590!  :fighting: :fighting:

HTH

my dealer charged me around £260 for the dmf. Clutch and dmf Inc fitting cost me £630 if I remember correctly

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2010, 03:26:21 pm »

How long ago was that?  This was from Seat who seem to be good at putting prices up

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2010, 03:28:06 pm »

HTH

my dealer charged me around £260 for the dmf. Clutch and dmf Inc fitting cost me £630 if I remember correctly

Mike & Winrya - may I ask what the symptoms were (if any)? Also which dealers were invovled?

Cheers!

Offline jcm76

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 04:50:02 pm »
i will be very keen to hear the result of this tread as I have the exact bearing/drone type noise at the bighting point on my clutch when in 1st or reverse! Please keep this tread updated with your findings..

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010, 05:32:09 pm »

How long ago was that?  This was from Seat who seem to be good at putting prices up

It was a week after xmas 2009, not a nice time to get a big bill :sick:

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2010, 05:34:36 pm »
i will be very keen to hear the result of this tread as I have the exact bearing/drone type noise at the bighting point on my clutch when in 1st or reverse! Please keep this tread updated with your findings..

Mine was replaced because my clutch was slipping and when the clutch was taken off the flywheel was in bits so had to be replaced.

Ref the noise/ feeling, If i get what you mean then mine did it before and after and 3 other gti's i've driven also do it.  I was under the impression it was normal, certainly doesn't concern me?  I read that stronger clutches often have this characteristic although the gti ones seem to be soft as butter once you throw some torque their way
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 05:40:04 pm by winrya »