Make a donation

Author Topic: Windows Just Been Tinted  (Read 7237 times)

Offline jaffa666

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
Windows Just Been Tinted
« on: May 29, 2010, 04:32:40 pm »
Hey troops, as title suggests, just got back from gettin the windows done on the old girl.

makes such a difference in my opinion, the rears are done in a tint called midnight and the fronts are light smoke, hopefully light enough that 5-0 dont huckle me for them.

got them done for 190 which I though was reasonable, as I got my ST done a cpl years back and it was 180 and it was a 3dr.

Couple companys, i got quotes from where outrageous, as they said they had to take the door skins off etc. Guy that done mine, says if their having to take ur door skinds off, then their not good enough at their job.

comments are more than welcome good or bad   :P

Saint Steve

Re: Windows Just Been Tinted
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 04:43:55 pm »
Do you have a white ring around the outside edge of the rear screen??

or have your fitters managed to cover it?

Had tints done before but that was my only gripe.

Good price  :happy2:

Offline jaffa666

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 05:02:55 pm »
Do you have a white ring around the outside edge of the rear screen??

or have your fitters managed to cover it?

Had tints done before but that was my only gripe.

Good price  :happy2:

have got white marks where the transparent bit of the glass meets the black bit, if that makes any sense, lol. but the guys says they will virtually be gone in a cpl days and if not to take it back to him, saying that only been done about 6hours, and have started to disappear, so pretty sure all the while bit will be gone in no time.

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 05:04:48 pm »
Improves the looks no end in my view.

However your car is now illegal, due to the tint on the front window.  And it does make me laugh, when the sales guy says that people who remove the door cards, etc to tint the windows are not good enough at their job????  er DOH, thats how the professionals do it - try telling that to Pentagon!!!
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Saint Steve

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 05:08:20 pm »
It will get slightly less , but you wont be able to shift it. Reason is the black dotted section around the screen, when you apply the tint, air gets trapped in the dots and gives you the white rim edge, because the tint isnt sat on the glass directly.

From your 1st photo, it doesnt look too bad. Mine was appauling even after a 2nd attempt to put it right.

If that is a tint on your front glass , remove it as oli says. They do however a Carbon UV light tint. Which doesnt tint the glass, but helps stop UV light getting in, gives the glass an ever so slight mirror reflection on the outside, and helps keeping the car cooler inside ,especially if you have full leather.

taken 30 mins after it was done...

« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 05:17:05 pm by Saint Steve »

Offline jaffa666

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 06:06:37 pm »
Improves the looks no end in my view.

However your car is now illegal, due to the tint on the front window.  And it does make me laugh, when the sales guy says that people who remove the door cards, etc to tint the windows are not good enough at their job????  er DOH, thats how the professionals do it - try telling that to Pentagon!!!

I can understand taking the door cards off but few companys had said they need the door SKINS off meaning the panel on the outside of the car. and due to the time involved quoted stupidy high prices, fair enough there maybe taking the glass completely out and doing the actual whole window including the bit thats always gonna be inside the door (I dont know), worth spending double the amount, (i dont think so)
to be honest would say the job done on my car is just as good as a job as the "professionals" at pentagon lol.
with a warranty for as long as I have the car the guys obviously fairly confident in his work.
As for fronts bein tinted I am aware its illegal, fronts on the ST where done the same, and never got unwanted attention. So I guess its only illegal if you get caught.
I am guessing you have never watched a pirated dvd or listened to a copied cd, lol.

Offline danishmkvgti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 06:14:06 pm »
loks the bizz, i have the same done, keep forgetting that they are, it the way the car is meant to look. big thumbs up from me  :happy2:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 06:14:36 pm »
comments are more than welcome good or bad   :P

Obviously........... :booty:

:wink:

Offline Mackie1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 09:39:04 pm »
Your car looks great after the tinting. I had mine done a couple of weeks ago by a professional outfit in N. ireland and i'm well pleased with the result, i just think it kinda "finishes" the profile of the Mk5. Of course i justified the job to the Mrs by saying i had to tint the windows to keep the sun outta the baby's eyes... :laugh:

Offline Mandy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 11:18:32 pm »
Wow! Looks great, especially on a silver golf- really compliments it.   :drool:

Steve:
Did you have your tints done at South Coast Tints by any chance? If so, any good?
Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline P80RSY

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 12:21:34 am »
I don't think the front's are illegal, when i had my last car done the grade of film used was 35+  which i was informed was right on the limit anything darker would have been illegal. I was pulled and tested in County Durham and the tints stayed and they looked darker than your fronts.

Don't shoot me if i'm wrong, just passing on what i was lead to believe.

Oh yea look nice too and at a good price  :smiley:

Saint Steve

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 06:47:30 am »
Yes it was Mandy, under the Itchen bridge, where the old Hovercraft terminal used to be on the town side, Little industrial estate :happy2:

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 08:08:14 am »
I don't think the front's are illegal, when i had my last car done the grade of film used was 35+  which i was informed was right on the limit anything darker would have been illegal. I was pulled and tested in County Durham and the tints stayed and they looked darker than your fronts.

Don't shoot me if i'm wrong, just passing on what i was lead to believe.

Oh yea look nice too and at a good price  :smiley:

Even a clear bit of film on a standard cars tints makes you illegal unfortunately.  Most cars standard tint, from the factory is right on the limit.

Offline jaffa666

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 09:44:53 am »
It will get slightly less , but you wont be able to shift it. Reason is the black dotted section around the screen, when you apply the tint, air gets trapped in the dots and gives you the white rim edge, because the tint isnt sat on the glass directly.

From your 1st photo, it doesnt look too bad. Mine was appauling even after a 2nd attempt to put it right.

If that is a tint on your front glass , remove it as oli says. They do however a Carbon UV light tint. Which doesnt tint the glass, but helps stop UV light getting in, gives the glass an ever so slight mirror reflection on the outside, and helps keeping the car cooler inside ,especially if you have full leather.

taken 30 mins after it was done...

gave the car a quick clean this morning, and I must admit they white ring has almost disappeared completely, not sure how he has managed it, but doesnt seem to be there at all anymore. will try and remember to get a pic of it next time I am out.

Offline turbo t

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 10:26:03 am »
looks good !