Make a donation

Poll

Head or heart

What's on paper counts
3 (20%)
Heart rules the head, simple
12 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Buy a car with your head or your heart  (Read 4274 times)

Offline Nickyboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 7
  • 2007 ED30 in Grey
Buy a car with your head or your heart
« on: May 31, 2010, 03:09:43 am »
I like my Golf. It's very efficient, does the job. Fast, comfy, gets me there in 1 piece. But I don't 'love' it.

I've had other cars which I 'loved'. They weren't as fast, comfy, efficient etc but they had character.

So what to do...character or efficiency?

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 11
Re: Buy a car with your head or your heart
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 10:09:34 am »
How much money do you have to spend? Simple question really as most modern cars are just manufactured to be easy to live with. The Golf is the pinnacle(sp) of that. For the last 30 odd years if you look in the back of motoring mags where they list their impressions of Golfs it will read ''worthy but dull''. Which cars do many actual motoring journalists drive though? Quite a few put their own money into a Golf.

You could argue that old Golfs have far more character, but they are old. So you can quickly fall out of love with them when the reliability issues start rearing their head. And that sums up many cars that have so called character: what price does that character have and is that why you ended up in a Golf to start with? ie. You've got fed up with moody characterful cars so went for a safer option. Safe options are normally a bit dull.
Andy
7R

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 10:16:20 am »
If i had used my head, I would be driving a black mk4 golf gti.

I used my heart and bought a black mk5 golf gti.  :love:

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 11:50:33 am »
If you're bored move on! I've owned almost 40 cars and there's still loads on the list I wanna experience/own

I love my cars, and enjoy my time in each one. Think of it like food, everyone has a favourite dish but if you eat that dish over and over you'll get bored of it, try a new flavour there's so much to taste out there and you can always return to your favourite.

I've owned so many now and sometimes the sheer lack of power, comfort etc can be the very thing that makes a car appealing. My most loved car ever was an astra 1.6 merit estate, before that was was a hot hatch and after was a luxurious 4x4 but the astra was so different that's what appealed!

Lifes to short not to play, buy with your head but choose with your heart  :innocent:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 12:36:36 pm »
If you're bored move on! I've owned almost 40 cars and there's still loads on the list I wanna experience/own

I love my cars, and enjoy my time in each one. Think of it like food, everyone has a favourite dish but if you eat that dish over and over you'll get bored of it, try a new flavour there's so much to taste out there and you can always return to your favourite.

I've owned so many now and sometimes the sheer lack of power, comfort etc can be the very thing that makes a car appealing. My most loved car ever was an astra 1.6 merit estate, before that was was a hot hatch and after was a luxurious 4x4 but the astra was so different that's what appealed!

Lifes to short not to play, buy with your head but choose with your heart  :innocent:

....As you have a missus, I hope you're not like that with women! Unless you get bored of the rimmage you find yourself obliged to apply corrective treatment to  :evilgrin:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 12:39:03 pm »

You could argue that old Golfs have far more character, but they are old. So you can quickly fall out of love with them when the reliability issues start rearing their head. And that sums up many cars that have so called character: what price does that character have and is that why you ended up in a Golf to start with? ie. You've got fed up with moody characterful cars so went for a safer option. Safe options are normally a bit dull.

....I wouldn't describe the standard oem Mk5 GTI/Ed30 as dull but modifying them certainly makes them great fun and long term.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 12:49:47 pm »
I buy a car with my heart.. I do almost everything with my heart. My head usually gets locked into and left in the garden shed if it tries to be too much of a Captain Sensible. There's a balance but my heart always has the last say. It's why I cancelled my dull grey TDI order for a throbbin' red GTI - Thank Goodness I did!!!!

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 01:11:00 pm »

....As you have a missus, I hope you're not like that with women! Unless you get bored of the rimmage you find yourself obliged to apply corrective treatment to  :evilgrin:

no, not like that with women  :laugh:

cars i understand  :grin:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 01:33:43 pm »

no, not like that with women  :laugh:

cars i understand  :grin:

....Good point: Women very difficult impossible to understand!

Can't live with them, can't live without them.

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 46
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 01:50:02 pm »

....I wouldn't describe the standard oem Mk5 GTI/Ed30 as dull but modifying them certainly makes them great fun and long term.

A bit of a contradiction there RR! Its not dull but modifying makes them great fun, so before they are modded they are not great fun?

Dont think ill ever love a car as much as my R32, it had loads of character, a great noise and looked superb! Im sure the S3 will be close but i know im always going to miss the noise and the sheer 'jaw dropped' looks of people seeing a golf make it  :smiley:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 01:56:20 pm »

A bit of a contradiction there RR! Its not dull but modifying makes them great fun, so before they are modded they are not great fun?

....No contradiction intended: I'm saying that even before modifying, the standard GTI is great fun and never dull. Other oem Golfs (excepting the .:R) not so exciting though.. IMO.

[Liking your new S3 sig.. Very smart]

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 46
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 02:00:15 pm »
Ah i see mate, i understand what you mean. My mums GTI is good fun and was the very reason i moved away from my type R and am now on my 2nd VAG motor  :grin:

Cheers, i didnt nab it from an S3 forum  :innocent:

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 03:16:05 pm »
in standard form Id say mu cupra is dull to drive. Didnt think so when I first got it seeing as I was coming from a 1.4, but if I had to go back to stock now Id get rid pronto!

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 04:51:09 pm »

Sorry but I do find the standard car a bit dull. No mid-range punch as standard and throttle response not the best. It's a very good car as standard but didn't set my heart racing. Re-mapped is another story.
Andy
7R

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 09:02:41 pm »
^^^^
Well yes, it's all relative.  :happy2: