Make a donation

Author Topic: DSG remap on sale in the USA  (Read 16991 times)

Offline jonnyc

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
Re: DSG remap on sale in the USA
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2009, 07:01:53 pm »
Speaking about big numbers, i was reading in performance VW about JD in Holland developing a stage 8 with well over 500BHP for the Mk 5 platform the other 7 stages where already done.  :party:  :chicken: :chicken: :chicken:

Stage 8 lol..

Well I could run up to 575 Crank HP with the turbo Im thinking of but im really not confident about the DSG at that power with the stock clutches..

Also there comes the point at which that power is going to only be usable over 120mph, which is pretty pointless on the road..

If I went BT on this car then the power I would aim for would be a reliable, and repeatable 475 crank HP. Before I get to that point im planning on sorting everything else out, and I mean everything!

Really the last part of the car that I would need to address once I finish the plans that I already have the car would be to allow modify the car such that it would enable me to run a 265/35/18 tyre, so that means lots of work for the arches, wide front arches and flared rears, 9inch wide rims etc etc.. That would really help with the traction!

Jonny
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2009, 07:36:44 pm »
Really the last part of the car that I would need to address once I finish the plans that I already have the car would be to allow modify the car such that it would enable me to run a 265/35/18 tyre, so that means lots of work for the arches, wide front arches and flared rears, 9inch wide rims etc etc.. That would really help with the traction!

....Don't let Hurdy read this! :evilgrin:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2009, 10:07:15 pm »

....Don't let Hurdy read this! :evilgrin:

LOL,

I've been looking at changing to 245 section tyres on the 18's for track use later this year R888's or Yoko's A048's and they should fit without arch modification :wink:

265 section = nirvana :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline stiggy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2009, 01:34:01 am »
As i understood it, the torque limit on the dsg 'box is for mechanical reasons (i.e. the components of the 'box can't handle the extra torque).  Is this true, or is it more of a software (ecu) thing?
MkV GTI Edition 30 - 5 door - DSG - Diamond Black - RNS 510 - Now with a hint of blueflame.....

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2009, 11:08:54 am »
Ahh, just winding back a touch to JonnyC's response I see they don't touch the D-mode until you're in the realms of the Stage 3R.

http://www.hpamotorsports.com/dsg.htm

I would consider the Stage 1, purely for the control over the manual shifts. There's nothing more annoying than having it boot up a gear mid corner when you're steeering on the throttle.

Also, having looked apparently the DSG shifts up in 8 milliseconds, so 60% faster isn't really that much although sounding impressive. I presume they've done the work on how fast the power comes back in to improve it that way?
Sideways yo!

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2009, 12:27:16 pm »
Yeah the stage 3 seems a bit pointless to me, if it makes D mode anything like S then it would be a step backwards IMO.

I know that they play around with the clutch engagement points and pressure etc so it does make the shift faster

Jonny

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2009, 12:39:39 pm »
As i understood it, the torque limit on the dsg 'box is for mechanical reasons (i.e. the components of the 'box can't handle the extra torque).  Is this true, or is it more of a software (ecu) thing?

You are partly right Stiggy.

The 350nm rating of the DSG box is there for the longevity of the 'box. Increasing the torque through the 'box will inevitably reduce the lifespan of it. Slippage occurs due to the regulation of the clamping pressure and the pressure can be altered with remapping. The components withing the 'box should be okay to 400bhp and similar torque as in the original link. :smiley:
Golf R gone.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2009, 01:43:10 pm »
Yeah the stage 3 seems a bit pointless to me, if it makes D mode anything like S then it would be a step backwards IMO.

I know that they play around with the clutch engagement points and pressure etc so it does make the shift faster

Jonny

I see now, I think - so nothing to do with the mechanical switching of the gears. On upshift, the 'box kind of drags the clutch a little, dialling in the power gradually to make a smooth transition. The HPA speeds up this transition process so full power can be applied quicker, thus making faster shifts that way?

I agree on the S mode too, it's too frantic and I can't get used to it. I just use D for docile and M for manic.  :happy2:
Sideways yo!

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2009, 01:58:04 pm »
Yeah thats about it mate  :happy2: The power is reduced as you approach the red line too, and power is gradually fed in (very fast) but still not full power right after the gear change is made..

Should make it a lot more aggressive, whilst still being smooth..  :laugh:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2009, 02:41:27 pm »
Interesting, so could the reason I see power tail off on a RR graph be because of the DSG limiting instead of, as I thought, the turbo running out of puff? Meaning the increase in redline might actually be of benefit??
Sideways yo!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2009, 03:00:31 pm »
Interesting, so could the reason I see power tail off on a RR graph be because of the DSG limiting instead of, as I thought, the turbo running out of puff? Meaning the increase in redline might actually be of benefit??

Exactamundo :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2009, 03:20:14 pm »
****!, that's more of my good money going down the pan then, although I'm in no rush... I think I'll wait and see who detonates a box in the States first though  :wink:
Sideways yo!

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2009, 03:22:15 pm »
The K04 keeps making power until 7250rpm ish.. The tail off at 6500rpm is the soft cut limiter engaging.. Lots to come from the DSG map IMO!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2009, 03:26:56 pm »
****!, that's more of my good money going down the pan then, although I'm in no rush... I think I'll wait and see who detonates a box in the States first though  :wink:

Most of them tend to be detonating the rods first :signLOL:
Golf R gone.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2009, 03:32:30 pm »
I've only got the vanilla KO3 though  :ashamed:
Sideways yo!