Make a donation

Author Topic: DRL/Fog lights question  (Read 15949 times)

Offline golfman

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 33
  • If your not first your last!!!
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69645.0.html
Re: DRL/Fog lights question
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 08:43:42 pm »

Oh god what have i started!!!! :sad1:
i might have been better sending you a pm red

scott

....I'm glad you didn't. It's better to share discussion and learn things publicly and it's afterall what we're here for.. partly.

I get too many PM's asking things which are better discussed publicly and which others might answer better than myself.

Can you give me a link or a phone number to buy these please or an idea of price red :happy2:
cheers

scott

Modded The Way I Like It!!!!!!
Vag-com Hex+Can in scotland
I Hate Timewasters...

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 09:01:31 pm »

Can you give me a link or a phone number to buy these please or an idea of price red :happy2:
cheers

scott

....Let me make sure I understand correctly: You're thinking of having the same DRL's as mine and wanting a source and approx costs?

Well, you may be in luck because you don't have a GTI and Hella already offer a unit for the Mk5 Golf which doesn't need to modify the fog panels.

http://www.daytime-running-light.com/index_uk.html > Go to link to UK page > Retrofit > you'll see your Golf!!

Hella UK is pretty useless I found [as is Recaro's UK agent, and OZ Racing's! WTF is wrong with British 'agents'!?], so email Hella Germany, unless things have changed since my efforts a while ago.

They have also recently produced these:   http://www.daytime-running-light.com/index_uk.html

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 01:08:53 am »

Convert being the operative word here RR - I wasn't suggesting just using the existing set-up. TBH, I rarely turn my lights off anyway. May well recode with Scandanavian set-up when I finally order my VCDS cable.

....Sorry, I missed the importance of "convert". Why not just buy a Volvo?  :evilgrin:

I did consider C30...  :laugh:
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 09:08:17 am »
^^^^
Well that special trackday version C30 which was recently posted about would be very desirable. I considered it too once upon a time.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Mr Punch

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 1
  • Has Pulled Cables At A Resonable Level
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2010, 10:35:09 am »
Guys as you probably know i now have xenons on my car(fitted by the vw god MR MORTIMER :notworthy: )
what im wondering is that on mk6 golfs they have daytime running lights and i was wondering if i can use my fogs as daytime running lights or will that be against the LAW :P

cheers

scott

I think these daytime running lights all look great, I like the strip ones the best.

However when I have my car polished up I like to show it off...... I drive with my side lights on with my front fogs only during the day though not at night unless it's foggy. :innocent:

It makes people look at my pride & joy and also it alerts them to move out of the way. :grin:

Would they send me to jail for this?????....... surely not. :scared:
I Always Wanted A Black Golf GTI Now I Have One...Yippee

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2010, 11:45:23 am »

However when I have my car polished up I like to show it off...... I drive with my side lights on with my front fogs only during the day though not at night unless it's foggy. :innocent:
It makes people look at my pride & joy and also it alerts them to move out of the way. :grin:

Have i read this correctly.  :confused:  You like to drive round of a day with your front fog lights on to show it off.  :stupid:
I take it you drive a Nova and have drilled lots of holes in your exhaust.

Offline Mr Punch

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 12:20:29 pm »

Have i read this correctly.  :confused:  You like to drive round of a day with your front fog lights on to show it off.  :stupid:
I take it you drive a Nova and have drilled lots of holes in your exhaust.

If I take it for a drive up through the Yorkshire Moors on the winding roads etc... It just alerts people & it's easier to see me coming I don't think I would be blinding anyone in the day time.

Pretty much like a motorbike during the day that's all :ashamed:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2010, 01:31:31 pm »

I think these daytime running lights all look great, I like the strip ones the best.

....Mr Punch, please read my DRL's Review thread (link in Reply #2) and hopefully understand the differences in types of lights and why.

Locally, the police have been having a campaign against the use of fogs when it's not foggy. I got stopped but apologised to when they learnt I had proper DRL's and correctly wired. Points and a fine await you.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 01:33:25 pm by RedRobin »

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2010, 01:39:21 pm »
Guys as you probably know i now have xenons on my car(fitted by the vw god MR MORTIMER :notworthy: )
what im wondering is that on mk6 golfs they have daytime running lights and i was wondering if i can use my fogs as daytime running lights or will that be against the LAW :P

cheers

scott

If you have Front fogs on I wouldn't be to sure that they thinking how nice the car looks   :wink:

Offline Mr Punch

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2010, 01:42:00 pm »

....Mr Punch, please read my DRL's Review thread (link in Reply #2) and hopefully understand the differences in types of lights and why.

Locally, the police have been having a campaign against the use of fogs when it's not foggy. I got stopped but apologised to when they learnt I had proper DRL's and correctly wired. Points and a fine await you.

I did not realise this I wont be doing that again did not realise you got Points & a Fine.. :surprised:

Thanks for letting me know :happy2:  :ashamed:

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2010, 02:14:27 pm »
i only think audi's look good with DRL's and any other car that comes with them STANDARD. every mk4 golf on A8 reps around my area has them, they look gash now!

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2010, 02:20:43 pm »

I did not realise this I wont be doing that again did not realise you got Points & a Fine.. :surprised:

....Well I'm not 100% sure about the points/fine but you'd certainly get a warning and they'd be looking out for you. It is technically against the law as I understand it.

It's best not to take the piss with police, especially if you're known locally. Being cooperative and friendly can help you when it comes down to their discretion.

Offline Mr Punch

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2010, 03:13:08 pm »

....Well I'm not 100% sure about the points/fine but you'd certainly get a warning and they'd be looking out for you. It is technically against the law as I understand it.

It's best not to take the piss with police, especially if you're known locally. Being cooperative and friendly can help you when it comes down to their discretion.

Thanks RedRobin,

I totally get your meaning the county car that snakes around town would love to give me a tug with ref to "if you're known locally"  :happy2:

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2010, 11:45:54 am »

It's an offense - it's in the Highway Code!!

The LED message boards in the back of Police cars actually have a 'FOGS OFF' instruction because so many numpties think it's 'cool' to drive around with fogs on.  :fighting:
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2010, 02:39:36 pm »

Thanks for letting me know :happy2:  :ashamed:

It's an offense - it's in the Highway Code!!

The LED message boards in the back of Police cars actually have a 'FOGS OFF' instruction because so many numpties think it's 'cool' to drive around with fogs on.  :fighting:

....I'm looking forward to seeing that 'FOGS OFF' sign  :evilgrin:

Hey, the Highway Code has changed since I knew it 40 years ago and I don't regularly read it.