Make a donation

Author Topic: Turbo Vane Actuator Stuck  (Read 5901 times)

Offline scotta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 15
  • Edition 30
Turbo Vane Actuator Stuck
« on: June 03, 2010, 12:14:40 am »
My uncle has a mk5 GT TDI 140 and has been having some bother with his turbo. He put it in to get it loooked at today to be told that the turbo actuator vanes are stuck and that its £800 to fix.

Seems a bit steep to me - Thoughts?

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
Re: Turbo Vane Actuator Stuck
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 06:20:19 am »
Sounds about right TBH.  It'll be a replacement turbo.

Pretty common and can be fixed by stripping down and cleaning the turbo but the most common route is to simply replace it.

The turbo basically gets coked up inside which jams and stops the variable vanes moving.

Google is your friend on this one.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 03:19:44 pm »
This is just one reason why you need to use a good quality LongLife 3 oil - as these have a 'low SAPS' rating - basically, the oil wont produce any soot or ash when burnt.

And don't overfill the oil either.

And don't use cheapo supermarket diesel.  :sick:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline scotta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 15
  • Edition 30
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 06:46:58 pm »
This is just one reason why you need to use a good quality LongLife 3 oil - as these have a 'low SAPS' rating - basically, the oil wont produce any soot or ash when burnt.

Neglect wasnt the issue! My uncle is fastideous with maintenece and uses top quality oils!

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 07:11:07 pm »

Neglect wasnt the issue! My uncle is fastideous with maintenece and uses top quality oils!
What some may perceive to be 'top quality' may actually be quite inferior - Mobil 1 and Shell oils are categorically not as good as the equivalent Castrol, Fuchs, Motul or Elf.  :booty:  Ask him what base-stock the oil was formulated from!  :wink:
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 07:19:57 pm »
Not for your average DiYer, but interesting none the less, it is from a MK4 TDi forum I bookmarked many moons ago.

http://www.technologie-entwicklung.de/Gasturbines/VNT15-Turbo/body_vnt15-turbo.html

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 07:57:40 pm »
Not for your average DiYer, but interesting none the less, it is from a MK4 TDi forum I bookmarked many moons ago.

http://www.technologie-entwicklung.de/Gasturbines/VNT15-Turbo/body_vnt15-turbo.html
Yes, very good article.  Perhaps the image at the very bottom article explains these beasts the best!
------