Make a donation

Author Topic: Selling a car with finance on?  (Read 7053 times)

Offline joesgti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
Re: Selling a car with finance on?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 10:02:53 am »
Soooo you'll be parting with a few tasty parts??? Or selling it as it is?

look in the for sale section!  :signLOL:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 10:03:57 am »

You might have missed the boat Cal  :laugh:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline cal tdi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 5
  • dub or die
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 10:27:17 am »

You might have missed the boat Cal  :laugh:

damn the bank holiday it's left me dazed and confused ever since I personally blame jimlad for making me miss out
Candy weiß Mk6 GTI - Stage 2

Ifti

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 11:29:29 am »
When I first purchased my ED30, it had finance on it.
The person I purchased from was a private luxury car dealer, and the ED30 was his 'runaround'.

Anyways, he gave me the following option:

1. He would give me the finance details, and I could pay it off myself, then give him the remaining cash to make up the full amount.
2. I could pay a deposit of £2k. He then clears the finance and I get proof of cleared finance when I picked up the car and paid the remainder.
3. I gave him full amount, and he cleared finance via the phone on the spot in front of me, We then wait for the finance company to fax across proof of no further interest in the car, which I would keep as evidence.

I decided to go for the 3rd option. I gave him a draft for the full amount. He then rang the finance company in front of me and cleared the full amount. He then passed the phone across to me and the person on the phone confirmed the finance had ben cleared. We then waited for the fax, which came through a few mins later to say that finance had been cleared etc. I checked this to confirm it had the proper company markings etc. I then rang back the finance company via their internet customer service number, just to double check it was them!
Once happy, i took the keys, the guy gave me a full invoice/receipt, and I left with a smile!

I would go with the same scenario if I were you. Inform the buyer you will clear finance on the spot with him present, so he knows its been done.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 11:35:37 am »
I wouldn't worry so much, most new cars have finance on them, so this must be fairly common? As long as you're upfront with people about how the transaction will be done, then you're ok.
Sideways yo!

Offline NEWEY

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Flickr
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 12:10:18 pm »
i sold my last car when it was on finance. the bloke gave me the money. i then phoned up and paid the finance off. didnt have any problems :)

TSR powered 1.9 16v mk2 Golf GTI
TSR big turbo mk5 golf gti

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 12:20:59 pm »
I wouldn't worry so much, most new cars have finance on them, so this must be fairly common? As long as you're upfront with people about how the transaction will be done, then you're ok.

Seriously dodgy ground though... It's illegal, it's not your car, it belongs to the finance company from whom you are 'renting' the car.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 12:24:36 pm »
Sorry, I meant using the example given where you settle the finance there and then with the new buyer.

Trusting someone to settle it afterwards I wouldn't touch with a bargepole.
Sideways yo!

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • .:R32
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 12:27:26 pm »
Sorry, I meant using the example given where you settle the finance there and then with the new buyer.

Trusting someone to settle it afterwards I wouldn't touch with a bargepole.

Fairy nuff. Surely you can just take out a bridging loan?
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline B3n

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
  • Boom!!!!
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2010, 12:40:56 pm »
When I first purchased my ED30, it had finance on it.
The person I purchased from was a private luxury car dealer, and the ED30 was his 'runaround'.

Anyways, he gave me the following option:

1. He would give me the finance details, and I could pay it off myself, then give him the remaining cash to make up the full amount.
2. I could pay a deposit of £2k. He then clears the finance and I get proof of cleared finance when I picked up the car and paid the remainder.
3. I gave him full amount, and he cleared finance via the phone on the spot in front of me, We then wait for the finance company to fax across proof of no further interest in the car, which I would keep as evidence.

I decided to go for the 3rd option. I gave him a draft for the full amount. He then rang the finance company in front of me and cleared the full amount. He then passed the phone across to me and the person on the phone confirmed the finance had ben cleared. We then waited for the fax, which came through a few mins later to say that finance had been cleared etc. I checked this to confirm it had the proper company markings etc. I then rang back the finance company via their internet customer service number, just to double check it was them!
Once happy, i took the keys, the guy gave me a full invoice/receipt, and I left with a smile!

I would go with the same scenario if I were you. Inform the buyer you will clear finance on the spot with him present, so he knows its been done.

Those 2 options get my thumbs up!
When i sold my car i had the customer settle the remaining finance themselves over the phone the finance company then faxed me a letter saying they had no further interest in the car i then photcopied it one for me and one for the customer, depending on the finance company they usually also send out a letter to you just to confirm the finance has been settled.

Buying a car with finance shouldnt really put anyone off these days as it is so easy to settle. Technically almost every car on a dealer forecourt is on finance anyway as the dealers have them on funding plans :wink:

My Flickr    Instagram: Chappers84

Offline TurboTrev

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2010, 03:30:31 pm »
The owner of the car I was buying got a settlement figure in writing just before I went for the car, I got a bankers draft for that amount.  Having paid him the balance in cash, we went to the local post box and posted the finance settlement cheque off with a request for the receipt to be sent to me.  That worked for us. :smiley:

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2010, 05:31:26 pm »
Not read the whole thread but chucking my 2p worth in..

I have sold 2 with remaining finance on and just make the buyer aware. One bought the ED30 for 17k cash I then paid this in and then settled the balance...

Sold an Astra which the buyer paid directly to the finance company and the remainder to me...probably the best and most efficient way.
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2010, 12:01:10 am »
Or 2 bankers drafts, one for the settlement one for the balance. Simply take a walk around to the post box with a draft and the settlement letter in an envelope and send it to the finance company

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2010, 08:22:45 pm »
i sold my last car when it was on finance. the bloke gave me the money. i then phoned up and paid the finance off. didnt have any problems :)

Exactly how I sold my last one too, the finance was paid off while he was with me. As long as you are up front with the buyer, then as long as they want your car and a genuine buyer then you shouldn't have a problem.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 06:57:05 pm by Deako »

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2010, 03:39:04 am »
^^I personally wouldn't buy a car like this, although I have had someone do it with me, you never know if they actually will pay it off.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 04:56:56 am by Edition30 »
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633