Make a donation

Author Topic: what do u think of this remap??  (Read 20775 times)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: what do u think of this remap??
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2010, 02:49:47 pm »
nice one PDT.  ill be quoting that the next time some loon on briskoda asks about his custom mapping for £100

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2010, 02:57:15 pm »
Nah, leave them to it, Sy.

Means more bits on the used market when their car blows up and they can't afford to fix it - fools & money being easily parted, and all that...
Sideways yo!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2010, 02:59:01 pm »
in that case im going to reccomend those tuning box resistor jobbies to all the k04 guys so i can get their turbo and injectors :grin: :grin:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2010, 03:24:30 pm »
^^^^
I like what Joe has done: His K03 turbo goes kaput so instead of just upgrading to a K04 and all the bits, he changes the whole engine to an Ed30 :notworthy:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2010, 04:22:41 pm »
^^^^
I like what Joe has done: His K03 turbo goes kaput so instead of just upgrading to a K04 and all the bits, he changes the whole engine to an Ed30 :notworthy:

:smiley:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2010, 05:21:46 pm »
^^^^

Yup, that's the proper way to do it. I bet his legs went a bit wobbly when he saw the front of the car with no engine in it. I know I did when mine was out. :signLOL:

Do it once and do it right is something I always tend to miss out with as I'm fickle and always want something better when it comes out. :ashamed:
Golf R gone.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2010, 05:49:46 pm »
a guyon briskoda with a k04 converted engine had it blow, and found that a k04 engine was cheaper than the k03????

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2010, 06:43:54 pm »
a guyon briskoda with a k04 converted engine had it blow, and found that a k04 engine was cheaper than the k03????

I found that for Harry on Ebay. It was an Ed30 lump minus ancillaries and turbo which he paid £500 IIRC.

All his bits fitted and he gains a stronger bottom end ftmfw.  :happy2:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2010, 06:48:12 pm »
he's selling up soon i think as well.  i might get on there with some bifs early :grin:

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2010, 07:03:16 pm »
I agree with PDT, I had a custom remap on my 993 and it was excellent, the key factors that made it excellent were:

1) The mapper, wayne schofield - chip wizards in rochdale - has an excellent reputataion in porsche circles - what rep does your £300 guy have?

2) At this time of year (and for the previous 3/4 months) no chance of using him as he is busy mapping GT3 cup cars and the like for race teams - his shop always has a couple of very interesting, expensive and serious cars in it - what cars is your £300 guy working on?

3) He has his own rolling road facilities, or if he comes to you, he books a local rr for the day and he only maps the car on the rr looking at the effect changes have on the various parameters in live rr time - what facilities does your £300  man have?

4) It takes him prety much all day and he is a real perfectionist, how long does your £300 man take?

5) I askd him to tweak my idle via the map, (had lwf stalling issues) which he did as he knows the code, can your £300 man accomodate such requests, i.e. he really does know the code

6) Finally you get a power graph print out and he keeps a copy of your std and new map in case you want original back.

How much £500 plus vat 1.5 yrs ago. Bargain! Keep thinking of going to him to see what he can do with my k03 gti, but don't know how well he knows the mkV GTI code.

Oh the result, with engine mods - cams, exhaust and high flow heads and bigger valves, (which another tuner fitted, wayne was just optimising) the car went from 275hp to 330hp on a non turbo car, impressive!

Anyway 6 simple questions to ask your tuner when it is a custom coded remap to check out oif he is any good or not  :wink:, btw revo compared to above is not custom coded, but i would agree is more custom (and hence can run more power as more optimised) than std remap such as the superchips map I am running. HTH John

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2010, 07:13:55 pm »
dont even start me on my old k03 bluefin map. :sick:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2010, 07:16:38 pm »
Does your £300 man who comes to your door let you know where he lives?

So when he fries your ECU, shrugs his shoulders and says something like "erm, my laptop's playing up - I'll come another day" and buggers off, you know where to find him when your car won't start.
Sideways yo!

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2010, 09:08:50 pm »
custom code has 40% off at the mo , the best and the cheapest , no brainer for me  :happy2:

:indifferent:  :sick:
you guys wind up far too easy , chill out boys  :laugh:
Who's wound up?  :confused:

At the end of the day if I crimp one off and roll it in glitter it might be shiny but its still a turd. Take 40% away from that and lo and behold it hasn't changed it is still a turd.

There you go. Custom Code in a nutshell.  :laugh:
do you have an expereience of custom code , have you driven any car re mapped by them ?

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2010, 09:43:27 pm »
do you have an expereience of custom code , have you driven any car re mapped by them ?

Thankfully no and I probably never will.

Before you ask my opinion is based on the numerous instances of poor customer service, shoddy workmanship and outlandish claims.
Take my current car. 3.2 litres of throbbing V6 which they reckon they can squeeze an additional 35-40bhp from.
Fair enough but not any rolling road other than their own.

Thats my piece said. You obviously are a fanboy and as long as you're happy that's all that matters but trust me when I say there are many that aren't.

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2010, 10:08:44 pm »

Do your own research, .......dont just go with one recommendation.  I chose my tuner carefully, mostly off good feedback from the internet and plenty of emails/conversation beforehand.  As prev mentioned on this thread, insurance is a must, also is the tuners ability to write their own code, not just download it and pass it on.

IMO, good mapping should deliver smooth and progressive power right through the rev range, and not just spiking for the 'top end' figure.   :happy2:
Had: Edition 30, 3 Door Manual, Pearl Black, Cruise Control, IPod Prep, Arm Rest, Auto Lights and Wipers