Make a donation

Author Topic: Can it be done - and what is needed? Adding paddle shift to MFSW - pls help :o)  (Read 5417 times)

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 14
Hi All

As per the header really.

I have an early DSG GTI that did not come with MFSW or Paddle Shift.

With the option on a MFSW I was wondering if its possible to retro fit the paddle shift?

The car does have CC.

So can the paddles be bolted onto a MFSW assuming I can buy the paddles.  Will I need a new slip ring or controller?

Any help and advice regarding part numbers, part numbers to look out for in VCDS to check I have the correct versions and VCDS codes would be really helpful.

Cheers

Lee
No Golf anymore. 
Enjoyed the last five years of ownership of Mk5 & 6 GTIs.
Plus an excellent forum for knowledge and new ways to deplete the bank account.
Thank You Everyone.

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
Lee, are you saying you have a MFSW without paddles, or that you have a bog standard wheel and want to add MFSW with paddles?

If its the later then you will require MFSW, controller and slip ring.  I would imagine if these parts were installed then you could enable the paddles to shift the box.

As for part numbers or coding I unfortunately have no idea, but the parts should be the same as manual cars that just want MFSW, as the paddles use the same control box slip ring etc.

HTH  :happy2:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Pretty much spot on.
For some reason VW didn't fit MFSW or flappy paddles to early DSG cars.
Have a option on a MFSW that does not have paddles.

So just wanted to check I can retro fit the paddles to a MFSW.
And what other bits I need to find. Sounds like a new slip ring & controller.

Over to the wanted section. See if anyone has them left over from a MK6 MFSW upgrade :)
No Golf anymore. 
Thank You Everyone.

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
Sorry bud for some reason I totally forgot about this :ashamed:  Basically you are gonna need a new steering wheel cos the paddle shifts actually go through the back of the steering wheel,  there is 2 big holes in the wheel.

If you have cruise then its possible your steering controller maybe able to do the M/F and paddles? The slip ring will more than likely be the right C version ring? if not I have a spare one you can have for a tenner.

Darren :happy2:

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Sorry bud for some reason I totally forgot about this :ashamed:  Basically you are gonna need a new steering wheel cos the paddle shifts actually go through the back of the steering wheel,  there is 2 big holes in the wheel.

If you have cruise then its possible your steering controller maybe able to do the M/F and paddles? The slip ring will more than likely be the right C version ring? if not I have a spare one you can have for a tenner.

Sorry to be a pain Darren.
Just to clarify, are the DSG steering wheels different to MFSW?  Therefore I need a DSG SW and retro fit the MFSW buttons...
Keep hold of the ring - I will see if VCDS tells me the type I have.
Thanks for the reply.
Lee
p.s. On another note.  Got a help request on the general chat section.  Don't suppose you have M14 & M18 spline sockets I could borrow?  Or any idea where I can buy them locally?  I would like to replace a rear bearing/hub before Fridays MOT.
No Golf anymore. 
Thank You Everyone.

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
If you can only get hold of the dsg wheel then yes the buttons can be retro fitted onto it they are the same wheel and control box inside.  VCDS wont tell you the slip ring number you will have to take the cowling off from around the steering column and it will be on a stick on the side.

I have one of these spare if you wont it

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPLINE-BIT-M14-30MM-2PC-IDEAL-FORD-BELL-HOUSING-/270565040931?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3efeeee323#ht_3732wt_930

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
May take you up on that - going to try chase down the M18 for the hub.  Tried the usual suspects round Leeds without a sniff of success  :confused:

No one seems to know what I am asking for let alone sell them  :sad:

What time is best for you if I call round tomoz?

I can get hold of either DSG or MFW but can't seem to find a MFSW with DSG.  MF seem to be cheaper than DSG.
A guy in Huddersfield always seems to have a DSG wheen for sale on fleabay @ £175.
No Golf anymore. 
Thank You Everyone.

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
Buy it Lee then just get the buttons after?  £175 is cheap for a R32 wheel.

Just need to pop across to Warrington in the morning but should be back for around 1

Darren

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
May take you up on that - going to try chase down the M18 for the hub.  Tried the usual suspects round Leeds without a sniff of success  :confused:

No one seems to know what I am asking for let alone sell them  :sad:

What time is best for you if I call round tomoz?

I can get hold of either DSG or MFW but can't seem to find a MFSW with DSG.  MF seem to be cheaper than DSG.
A guy in Huddersfield always seems to have a DSG wheen for sale on fleabay @ £175.

I have a DSG steering wheel for sale very soon, also possibly the correct controller for sale as well, the wheel is as new 11,000 miles covered.  £150 for the wheel.  :happy2:

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
First dibs please TC.
No Golf anymore. 
Thank You Everyone.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
First dibs please TC.

No worries.  :happy2:

if the controller is the correct one, i will throw this in for 50 squids as well. I have just had to spend £140 on a new one for my Mk 6 wheel.  :sad1: