Make a donation

Author Topic: S3/R32 Splash Guards - How to adapt for GTI?  (Read 8021 times)

Offline alex_chung

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: S3/R32 Splash Guards - How to adapt for GTI?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 09:40:55 pm »
Fairly obvious Alex.  Just offer the disc up and push the guard away slightly around the circumference, then when you get the disc mounted, check it will rotate without catching the guard.

Ideally it should be close enough, but not touching not to allow stones and shyte to get caught between the disc and guard (ask TC about the noise that makes!)

HTH

ps the disc is the first thing you fit so it makes it easy.

Figured as much. I have the splash guards from the Leon Cupra, take its the same part as the GTI one?
Thanks!
Alex

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 09:50:59 pm »

When I first fitted my S3 rears ages ago, I tried the s3 guards that came with them, and could only get one out of the 3 bolts to fit.  To get the GTI ones off I had to cut a piece out, due to the guard being fitted to the hub, and then the wheel bearing housing and wheel mounting flange being fitted.

The guard is whole, and not like a letter 'C' like the fronts are.  So RR you will have cut a segment out of the new ones to get them to fit.  (in fact the s3 variants are similar in shape, but profiled differently, and with differently centred holes).

....If I'm understanding correctly, the S3 guards I've got will only fit if cut (no problem) but can only use one fixing hole (a problem unless another hole can be drilled) but the profile is different anyway (unsure if it will fit).  :confused:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 08:09:44 am »
Sorry robin, I thought these would fit. I thought you had different hubs.  I will refund you if you like but there's no need to send them back

sorry mate. 

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 08:11:15 am »
Sorry robin, I thought these would fit. I thought you had different hubs.  I will refund you if you like but there's no need to send them back

sorry mate. 

Apparently RR himself thought the S3 rear brakes included the S3 alloy hubs  :sad1:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 08:39:52 am »
Sorry robin, I thought these would fit. I thought you had different hubs.  I will refund you if you like but there's no need to send them back

sorry mate.  

....I know you sold them to me in good faith. I'm afraid it's also my ignorance in not understanding the hubs difference (as danish Jake says).

The ideal would be if you had another buyer and I could post the guards on to them and then you could refund.

If not, I think a refund would be fair but I would insist that they are returned to you so you might at least be able to sell them elsewhere and not be so out of pocket. I wouldn't feel happy having a refund and keeping the goods, much as I appreciate your gesture. :drinking:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 08:58:25 am »
 :grouphug:  :drinking:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 11:14:57 am »
s3 rear and r32 rear guards dont fit as they are 4wd hubs fairl obivous tbh . gti ones still fit with tweeking as said millions of times i guess vwr binned yours for the same reason they left my suspension loose !

:surprised: Sounds like fun. NOT!

Offline dan.payne

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 01:34:35 pm »
Oh crap does that mean I need to get S3 Alloy Hubs to get my R32 rears fitted with the splash guards? I am sure I saw somewhere that someone had modded the splash guards to fit?
Alex

absolute no need to panic, just bend the standard gti splash guards gently away from you and the are fine  :happy2:

exactly what I did, no drama whatsoever  :smiley:
GTi Edition 30 Phase 2+ :jumping:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 10:54:01 pm »
I sold them in good faith thinking they'd fit but obviously not. I'd only bin them mate so it would be a waste posting them

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 10:59:33 pm »
I sold them in good faith thinking they'd fit but obviously not. I'd only bin them mate so it would be a waste posting them

....Make them into frisbees? Pizza plates?  :laugh: