Make a donation

Author Topic: 7mm wheel Spacers - worth fitting?  (Read 1211 times)

Offline Drapoon

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
7mm wheel Spacers - worth fitting?
« on: June 28, 2010, 02:07:44 pm »
I was at a good friends this wkend when he mentioned he has a set of wheel spacers spare that he didn't know what they were for but they might fit my car.

We lined them up & they looked like they were the correct offset so he gave me them to me. I've done a bit of research & see an element of risk is involved when fitting them so I'm in two minds. They are only 7mm & not hubcentric.

So a couple of q's:

Will there be enough lip left so all the force isn't going through the wheel bolts?

Is it worth it for a mere 7mm?

They are to fitted behind Monza 2's

cheers for any advice :happy2:

« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 02:12:46 pm by Drapoon »

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
Re: 7mm wheel Spacers - worth fitting?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 02:35:45 pm »
I'd defo ditch them and go hubcentric.

Dont do this but if you go out to your car right nowand remove all 5 wheel bolts assuming your on level ground nothig will happen, now if you fit these spacers with no spigot the car will end up in your lap.

You are well out of the design envelope by supporting the car on only its bolts you'd need some pretty exotic material bolts to do that. You're adding forces from tension only to sheer forces as well.

Might be ok on a track with run off areas to catch your wayward wheels but not on the road.

For what they cost its not worth risking it - they come up on here for 50-80GBP every now and again