Make a donation

Author Topic: Power output differences?  (Read 3875 times)

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
Power output differences?
« on: June 13, 2010, 06:30:43 am »
I currently have the MK2 Octavia vRS which is considered the family car and consquently I don't get to drive it as much as I would like.  Our second car is a 1999 Ford Focus aka the work horse, but something tells me its not long for this world, anyway when it expires the obvious weapon of choice is a MK5 Gti! However, after trawling through the many topics on here I have decided its got to be an Edition 30. I have a couple of questions about them and I feel confident I will get the answers on the forum.

Firstly can someone explain what is different between the engines found in the ED30, Cupra and S3, as I understood they all have the K04 turbo but the powers range from 230bhp - ED30, 240 - Cupra, and 260/265 - S3!!! The other question is what should I expect to pay for good example? I have seen quite a few for sale but there is one that has caught my eye but it seems a bit to good to be true................
2007/57 24k remapped 320bhp Candy White with Black wheels, a lot of extras - £11995.  :surprised:

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
Re: Power output differences?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 07:21:48 am »
S3 has other cams, other than that no big differences, to my knowledge  :smiley:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 10:32:49 am »
Hi fella  :smiley:

The ED30 is the same motor as the S3, just with different injectors and intercooler.  It only runs 230bhp stock due to being heavily detuned from the factory.
Had: Edition 30, 3 Door Manual, Pearl Black, Cruise Control, IPod Prep, Arm Rest, Auto Lights and Wipers

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 10:54:16 am »
By the way, 12 grand for a 57 plate 24k miles  :surprised:   Cheapest car I've ever seen, sounds like 17+ grands worth to me mate.
Had: Edition 30, 3 Door Manual, Pearl Black, Cruise Control, IPod Prep, Arm Rest, Auto Lights and Wipers

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 12:58:50 pm »
I think I seen that car advertised mate, beware though it's a cat d

If you are in to getting the most out of a car the way forward is the ed30, I wish I'd went for one now over the standard gti but if you are not to botherd about potential tuning I'd say the gti would be the best option as you will save yourself a good few squid 
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 02:12:46 pm »

The ED30 is the same motor as the S3, just with different injectors and intercooler.  It only runs 230bhp stock due to being heavily detuned from the factory.

IC is technically not the engine but yes different,. are you sure they have other injectors than S3? are they the same as gti ones?  :smiley:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 02:21:01 pm »
this may help ..... Edition 30 FAQ
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 04:49:02 pm »
Thanks for the info guys, I think its definately going to be the ED30 for obvious reasons, with the vRS you can only go so far without changing turbo injectors etc, where as the Golf can easily achieve 300+ on a stage 2. My plan is to transfer a few bits from the vRS over if they fit, Evoms and DP.
With regards the car I mentioned originally, I thought it was extremely cheap and would check into the history prior to purchase, but for the moment the old workhorse is performing so until that dies I will have to continue enjoying the hearse as and when I can!  :happy2:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 04:53:31 pm »
pagey the GTI wont remap to 300Hp. the normal GTI has an identical engine to the vRS and thus will make identical power. 

The Ed30 GTI has the k04 turbo, and that will remap past 300Hp, as will the GTI pirelli, leon cupra and S3.

your evoms will not transfer onto a k04 car either, as there is a DV take off on the pipe required on the k04 due to the front mount diverter valve.  everything else would be a direct swap etc.

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 05:06:01 pm »
pagey the GTI wont remap to 300Hp. the normal GTI has an identical engine to the vRS and thus will make identical power. 

The Ed30 GTI has the k04 turbo, and that will remap past 300Hp, as will the GTI pirelli, leon cupra and S3.

your evoms will not transfer onto a k04 car either, as there is a DV take off on the pipe required on the k04 due to the front mount diverter valve.  everything else would be a direct swap etc.

When I said 'Golf' I was refering to the ED30 mate, I was aware of the front mounted DV but I was hoping that I could just get the MAF to Turbo replacement pipe from Evolution Motorsport or maybe have a custom s/steel one made! None of this will happen til later in the year anyway.  :wink:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 05:07:44 pm »
is the evoms one pipe all the ay to the filter or is it sections?  if its sectioned maybe you  could just buy the turbo Dp section

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 05:38:25 pm »
Mine has a short pipe with a right angle bend coming up from the turbo and across the back of the engine, (this part is powder coated metal) this has the MAF included, then a 6" silicone pipe joins this to the rest of the pipe which is some form of plastic?!.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 05:41:26 pm by Pagey1255 »

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 05:46:50 pm »

IC is technically not the engine but yes different,. are you sure they have other injectors than S3? are they the same as gti ones?  :smiley:

No need to split hairs mate, the IC is not the same as the S3, and as its attached to all ED30's is worth mentioning.  And yes, I'm sure the injectors are different also   :happy2:

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 01:27:17 pm »
Spent a bit of time searching today and to be fair there isn't a lot of difference in price between the ED30 and S3 of a similiar age which is a surprise!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 03:38:16 pm »
the golf and S3 hold their money very well.  however if youdont mind sacrificing on the interior a bit, you could getthe cupra for about 8-10k now.