Make a donation

Author Topic: Golf GTI Mk5 Tyre Noise  (Read 20688 times)

RustyGTI

Re: Golf GTI Mk5 Tyre Noise
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 12:44:18 pm »
Thanks all  for your responses...

I bought the car from VW and therefore hope the wheel bearings aren't shot as this should have been checked...and thinking back it has made this noise ever since I bought it.

I believe it's the tyres and as has been suggested above, probably the rears (Bridgestones), although tyre wear doesn't look too bad i.e. they still have a fair bit of meat on them.

Thing is, how do I stop it happening again?

Russ

Saint Steve

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 01:40:19 pm »
Fitted Vreddestein Sessenta's to mine, worn my 1st set down to 2mm and have no uneven tyre wear. Have had not to mess with the factory Geometry set up. Change your tyres and issue your running the currect pressures.

Offline Pullafacial

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 07:40:11 pm »
Don't buy kumo's, I bought my gti with these fitted to the rear and am on the way to getting tinitus!

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2010, 07:56:53 pm »
I've just watched the TV prog I mentioned earlier and it appears that most tyre manufacturers specifically test their products for road noise. So, how come some tyres have road noise at all?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 11:37:00 am »
It may be worth considering the Vredestein Ultrac Centos if tyre noise is the issue. I believe that they are replacing the Sessantas to comply with some 2012 EU Regulation on tyres noise.  See my review here:
http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/163809-vredestein-ultrac-centos/

Saint Steve

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 12:10:38 pm »
Ive just purchesed 2 Vred's sessanta's today ,delivered for £190 from camskill.co.uk

Your running too soft on your pressures.Vredestein recommend 40psi in my case a GTi. 225/40/18's.

Accoarding to the dealership, they are not being faized out, the assym design is still a new design :smiley:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 12:23:17 pm »
^^^^
What concerns me about bloody regulations is the question of what is being compromised in order to meet those rules. Personally I'd choose performance over noise without a second thought.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 12:34:10 pm »
Them Vred Cento's ain't asymmetric. IMO an asymmetric tread is always going to perform better.

Saint Steve

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 12:39:47 pm »
I heard it was the Vred Ultrac that are and the Ssessanta's are not being replaced Muckipup?

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 01:01:14 pm »
dont knock it until youve tried it robin!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2010, 01:10:39 pm »

dont knock it until youve tried it robin!

....What do you think I'm "knocking"? I'm just saying that, in my opinion, and experience from riding on both directional and asymmetric tyres that the asymms perform better, so I reckon it's unlikely the Vred Cento's will outperform the Sessanta's. They may be quieter though. :happy2:

RustyGTI

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2010, 10:44:59 pm »
Fitted Vreddestein Sessenta's to mine, worn my 1st set down to 2mm and have no uneven tyre wear. Have had not to mess with the factory Geometry set up. Change your tyres and issue your running the currect pressures.

Am pretty sure the pressures are correct as I'm going by those stated on the inside of the filler cap, unless I'm doing something wrong...

Oh and the tyres are potentially in the state they are in due to the previous owner / garage, as I've only had the car a few weeks... :smiley: Having said that I had a good look at them yesterday and there is some evidence of wear on the inner portion of each rear tyre, but not anything I would have necessarily worried about. Can the noise come from any amount of uneven wear?

Offline Lyons

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2010, 11:15:06 pm »
On a tyre related topic, can anyone tell me the differences between a 88w and 92y, and whether going for the former would cause any problems?