Make a donation

Author Topic: Hi guys  (Read 2607 times)

Offline MaverickFSI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 2
  • Tornado Red Ed30 DSG
    • Email
Hi guys
« on: June 16, 2010, 01:19:31 pm »
Hello all,

My name is Pete, I'm probably violating forum rules but I don't drive a Mk5 GTI I'm sorry to say. I drive a '92 Corrado which started life as a G60 but recently I sold the engine and I've managed to get my hands on a 2008 Golf FSI BWA engine to replace it, which has only done 10k  :surprised:.

The sale consisted of;

Engine
Gearbox
Clocks
ECU
Keys
Running gear
Loom
Turbo

... and for all this VW goodness - £900  :happy2:

I'm not well educated on the the more modern VW motors, so I joined here in the hope that if I have any questions regarding the engine someone may be able to help.

I've done a little research and learned that the BWA engine is the newer variant of the earlier AXX engine and the most spoke of difference I could find is that their Euro emissions differ slightly. What is the general consensus on performance? Does it differ at all? And what sort of power can you run on factory internals?

Cheers.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 06:50:24 pm by MaverickFSI »
Great balls of fire!

Retro Dubs on the go;

'91 Corrado 20vT - Project still going... and going...

Offline gazbutS3

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
Re: Hi guys
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 03:00:42 pm »
Hello pal ,sounds like an interesting project :happy2:

The BWA is the later version of the original K03 engined regular GTI and will tune to 270ish bhp max on the std K03 turbo, but you can bolt the K04 turbo from the GTI Edition 30 (BYD code IIRC) and tune to a reliable 330-350ish bhp :smiley:

Offline MaverickFSI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Tornado Red Ed30 DSG
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 03:28:56 pm »
Hello pal ,sounds like an interesting project :happy2:

The BWA is the later version of the original K03 engined regular GTI and will tune to 270ish bhp max on the std K03 turbo, but you can bolt the K04 turbo from the GTI Edition 30 (BYD code IIRC) and tune to a reliable 330-350ish bhp :smiley:

That's pretty good, I can see why people opt for the 1.8T and 2.0FSI's, very tunable.

Sorry to keep asking questions but what induction kit would you recommend for this engine?
Great balls of fire!

Retro Dubs on the go;

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 03:50:54 pm »
Welcome along matey, a lot of people including myself use the ITG Maxogen Intake, there are also options such as the Forge Twintake and the Evoms kit  :happy2:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 06:36:29 pm »
Sounds like a great project mate.  Post up build thread if you can as I am sure lots will be interested to see it.

Welcome along  :drinking:

Offline MaverickFSI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Tornado Red Ed30 DSG
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 06:44:59 pm »
Welcome along matey, a lot of people including myself use the ITG Maxogen Intake, there are also options such as the Forge Twintake and the Evoms kit  :happy2:

Cheers for the feedback, i'll look in to those different options. Are there dedicated places you specifically buy Mk5 parts from? For example where did you buy your ITG intake from?
Great balls of fire!

Retro Dubs on the go;

Offline MaverickFSI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Tornado Red Ed30 DSG
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 06:49:36 pm »
Sounds like a great project mate.  Post up build thread if you can as I am sure lots will be interested to see it.

Welcome along  :drinking:

Yeah, should be a good one. To my knowledge this conversion isn't very common, unlike the 20v T's so not 100% sure what, if any, problems I'll run in to, but all good fun  :smiley:. I'm really not looking forward to making the clocks fit in to a Corrado dash  :laugh:

Yeah I'll post up what I have done so far, which is just removed the G60 lump, so not much at the moment. However, the engine turns up this Saturday, so the good times can begin  :happy2:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 06:52:54 pm by MaverickFSI »
Great balls of fire!

Retro Dubs on the go;

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 06:50:03 pm »
Hi and Welcome...  :driver:
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 08:58:43 pm »

Welcome mate!

Got the ITG direct from Andy Jackson at ITG 02476305386, Very helpful chap.

You'll find tons of info on here mate, enjoy  :happy2:

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 09:42:48 pm »
Sounds like a great project mate.  Post up build thread if you can as I am sure lots will be interested to see it.

Yeah, should be a good one. To my knowledge this conversion isn't very common, unlike the 20v T's so not 100% sure what, if any, problems I'll run in to, but all good fun  :smiley:. I'm really not looking forward to making the clocks fit in to a Corrado dash  :laugh:

Yeah I'll post up what I have done so far, which is just removed the G60 lump, so not much at the moment. However, the engine turns up this Saturday, so the good times can begin  :happy2:

yes build thread with plenty of pics is a must :happy2:

Offline MaverickFSI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Tornado Red Ed30 DSG
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 10:30:30 pm »

yes build thread with plenty of pics is a must :happy2:

I've just posted a build thread in the 'Members Ride' section. More pictures to come  :grin:
Great balls of fire!

Retro Dubs on the go;

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 09:07:54 pm »
Hey Mav!  :drinking: