Make a donation

Author Topic: Help needed with a my sale of my .:R32 via ebay, anyone offer advice?  (Read 9214 times)

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: Help needed with a my sale of my .:R32 via ebay, anyone offer advice?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 12:23:15 pm »
OFFS

had some good interest in it too

gunna take me all night to work out how to get this relisted without paying relist fee's

well if its someones account getting hacked then theres a car cloner on the prowl, maybe i should publish his email and phone number as on the original email

Report it to your local police - they will be very interested.

Regards,

Gareth

Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30 No:- 2101, 3Dr, Tornado Red, Rear Tints, RCD510 & Sound Pack, Arm Rest
Mk1 Golf GTi 16v Helios Blue, Too Many Mods To List .... MY First Car ! Owned Since 1996 !!! NEARLY READY !!!!!

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 05:35:48 pm »
Report it to your local police - they will be very interested.

....Most definitely!

I thought "scam" the second I read about them asking for a scanned V5 - A good forger would have exactly what's needed.

Yet another reason why I never ever use eBay. It's unfortunate but some people can't be trusted.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 07:08:39 pm »
Police are having a tough time fighting travelling criminals in high performance cloned vehicles - seriously pass the contact details on to your local constabulary.

Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30 No:- 2101, 3Dr, Tornado Red, Rear Tints, RCD510 & Sound Pack, Arm Rest
Mk1 Golf GTi 16v Helios Blue, Too Many Mods To List .... MY First Car ! Owned Since 1996 !!! NEARLY READY !!!!!

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 07:14:50 pm »
i will do  :happy2:

i'm now in full paranoid mode lol

i've got someone who wants to come and see it on sunday and is bringing their dad with them.  he says he's a named driver on his dads company policy so it means he will be fully comp on mine according to him. no documents no driving for him tho, even then i dont like the idea of test pilots

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2009, 07:23:10 pm »

i've got someone who wants to come and see it on sunday and is bringing their dad with them.  he says he's a named driver on his dads company policy so it means he will be fully comp on mine according to him. no documents no driving for him tho, even then i dont like the idea of test pilots

Im not to sure what you meant but i would not let any one test drive my car, by all means take him on a test drive, but you should be driving.

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2009, 07:32:53 pm »

that will be for cars he owns though, i doubt he will be covered for your car

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2009, 07:54:55 pm »
damn i hate selling cars, far to nieve at it

surely though you would want to drive a car you were intending to buy? i love the plan of not letting him drive it, or anyone until they own it.

so even if he turns up with proof of insurance then i should say no to him actually being in the driving seat? one of my mates said that i shouldnt let him drive it on sunday as his insurance company might not answer the phone for confirmation, that and the banks are shut so it would be his word and a bit of paper (would i put him off if he thinks its fine but i still say no?). the car wont move to a new home until all cash is cleared or is usable

should i demand bank transfer only with a cash deposit do you reckon? not just with the guy on sunday if he's interested, but as a general rule? not sure if i trust bankers drafts.

i could have avoided all this by px'ing it in when i bought the new one but they offered me a mere £6.5k  :surprised: so naturally words like.........."cha" and "right" and "monkeys my fly outta my xxxxx first" lol

selling cars, not fun with so many dishonest people about at the moment  :confused:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2009, 08:09:56 pm »
A test drive is to check the car is in the stated condition you can tell this from the passenger seat, i would only let them drive it if it was a deal breaker. There insurance will only cover them third party so if they stuff it you or they will be payingi think.
And bankers draft is the best way.  :happy2:

Offline Altered Carbon

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009, 09:59:51 am »
Just to echo what Topcat said - if he's on somone elses insurance as a named driver, he is almost certainly not covered fully comprehensive to drive yours. What I've done in the past is told anyone coming to view that if they want to drive the car, they'll need to bring down an insurance certificate with their details, specifically showing they are covered to drive my car i.e. with the make model and registration number stated of mine on it.

One of my mates let someone test drive their Lancia Delta Integrale years ago and they planted it into a drystone wall. They weren't covered = my mate £10k+ out of pocket.

2008 Candy White | Edition 30

Offline JonnyG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
  • Golf R
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2009, 11:04:43 am »
Yeah, I've never let anyone drive my car when selling private. 

I drive and ask them what they want me to do and follow their instructions (as long as it's safe and legal !! :grin: )

With regards payment I'd be very very careful these days ... make sure you have swotted up on how to identify forged notes if they are paying cash.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/security/index.htm

If they want to pay with a bankers draft, ask them to phone through to you the cheque number and issuing branch address and telephone number in advance.  Then check the bank details (address & tel. no. are correct) and ring the bank and ask them to confirm everything is OK with the cheque.  :happy2:
Golf R, 5dr, DSG, March 2010, Rising Blue, 19" Talladegas, Cruise

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2009, 11:14:51 am »
if you except banker s draft  make sure it clears first before you let him have the car,as this happened to a mate of mine when he sold his atra gti-he got payed by bankers cheque & let the guy have the car & documents thinking that bankers drafts are fool proof,took it to the bank & it was  forged & as every body else has mentioned make sure they are insured..sorry to be adding more to your worries

Offline albertz33

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2009, 12:42:01 pm »
Mate i was in your position last week selling my MK5 GTI, the only acceptable methods of payement are:

Bankers draft ( but pay this into your bank before you hand over the keys, the bank will know straight away if its a forgery, and can tell you if you can draw funds against it immediatley

Cash: cash is king, but again do the transaction in a bank, pay it in before you hand over the keys, that way the bank will spot genuine fakes etc, and once its in, theres no comebacks ( this is how i sold mine for 10K ) but phone your bank and ask if cash is okay because of money laundering laws, and bring ID with you.

Telephone transfer:  can take from one hour to 3 days, check with your bank, they will tell you how long it takes to clear.

Cheque: if the guy insists on paying by cheque - he gets the car 6 working days later when the cheque has cleared.

Best places to advertise i found were autotrader ( still the most viewed ) and pistonheads ( got alot of enquiries via site )

I was also nervous about it, and was sure i was being scammed, but it was genuine, and i sold my car successfully, good luck.

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2009, 01:43:29 pm »
thanks for all the advice guys, its genuinely appreciated  :happy2:

Mate i was in your position last week selling my MK5 GTI, the only acceptable methods of payement are:

Bankers draft ( but pay this into your bank before you hand over the keys, the bank will know straight away if its a forgery, and can tell you if you can draw funds against it immediatley

Cash: cash is king, but again do the transaction in a bank, pay it in before you hand over the keys, that way the bank will spot genuine fakes etc, and once its in, theres no comebacks ( this is how i sold mine for 10K ) but phone your bank and ask if cash is okay because of money laundering laws, and bring ID with you.

Telephone transfer:  can take from one hour to 3 days, check with your bank, they will tell you how long it takes to clear.

Cheque: if the guy insists on paying by cheque - he gets the car 6 working days later when the cheque has cleared.

Best places to advertise i found were autotrader ( still the most viewed ) and pistonheads ( got alot of enquiries via site )

I was also nervous about it, and was sure i was being scammed, but it was genuine, and i sold my car successfully, good luck.

fantastic, thanks for taking the time to write that.

i've now contacted the guy to say that i'm not comfortable with him driving and hope it doesnt put him off and he's fine with it which is good news

lets see what tomorrow brings

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2009, 12:10:27 pm »
Good Luck VC, hope all goes well.  :driver:
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2009, 01:49:50 pm »
Good Luck VC, hope all goes well.  :driver:

cheers mate, he should be here any minute. just been out for a drive in it and forgot just how good it really is, so different to the MK5

heres hoping