Make a donation

Author Topic: My MacBook Pro SSD Upgrade!....  (Read 9437 times)

Ifti

Re: My MacBook Pro SSD Upgrade!....
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2010, 10:57:37 pm »
Ok if you're happy thats fine but, as far as I'm aware,the OS has to send the command to the ssd controller to instigate "TRIMming" when the system is idle. 

sandforce controllers don't use TRIMming. The way they save data to the memory blocks is also different, and this us what enables them to give higher write speeds then normal.
Sandforce are apparently very secretive about how their drive continues to perform so well without needing any cleanup operations. I'm sure their secret will come out soon though!

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2010, 07:47:55 pm »
Hmm, seems that I was misinformed about Mac OS X 10.6.4 supporting TRIM.   :ashamed:

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2010/06/17/mac-os-x-10-6-4-still-no-support-for-trim-function
Without traction power is nothing!

Ifti

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2010, 09:28:36 am »
There is some secrecy as to how the Sandforce controller actually works. Its stated that it doesnt need TRIM as it does the operation on-the-fly.

I installed the SSD and put my SuperDuper image onto it, as shown here in my video (1st post)
After a while the drive seemed to suddenly increase in speed, as shown in my second video (1st post)

Didnt know why this was, and I didnt care!

Anyway, I updated to 10.6.4 when it was released. Reboot my MBP and the drive seemed slower on boot again. Application launch times and general usage was still fast - it was just the boot.

After a few hours, I noticed the boot was much faster again!

Co-incidence again?????

I have now updated my iTunes.
Again the drive performed as normal etc, but was slower on boot.
Again, after a few hours, I reboot again, and now my MAC is booted very fast again, 1-2 rotations of the loading circle.

Surely this cant be co-incidence any longer.
I have a feeling that after each update etc, the SSD, or Sandforce controller, either cleans itself up, or optimises itself as the MAC is idle, or if Im just casually browsing the Internet. It may even do it when the MAC is in sleep state?? Im not sure. All I know is that after a large update, the SSD seems to take a few hours to 'cleanup' and then its back to its usual speedy state. I assuming this is the 'TRIM on-the-fly' feature with SandForce controllers?