Make a donation

Author Topic: vag com  (Read 3031 times)

Offline scooba

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
vag com
« on: June 18, 2010, 06:54:42 am »
Hi ,   If i wanted to buy a vag com ,what is the best one to buy ,I have a ed30 2008 dsg gti ,I just thought it may be a handy tool to have ,I looked on ebay and found some for around £70 ,Autel  i think

Thankyou  Scooba

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: vag com
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 07:48:48 am »
The best one is the proper one which is about £250. PM NHN.
Otherwise all of the cheapo ones on ebay are dodgy fakes. People on here have bought them and found they don't work. You could be lucky and manage to get hold of one that works.

Otherwise have a look in the the VCDS register and see if there's anyone close to you who may be able to help out with whatever you need.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 07:53:44 am »
Totally agree with Stealthwolf here. Save your money (or send it to me  :laugh:) if you are thinking about the cheap Ebay Chinese knock offs.

You can't beat the real Ross Tech ones, and they come with full lifetime support as well and work with the very lastest versions of VCDS.

The older ones (even if you get them to work), will normally only work with older versions of VCDS up to about Rev 408 or so. The genuine version of the software has now ticked passed version 900+ and fully supports the newer modules and models (including the RNS-510)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 07:55:27 am by Norbreck21a »

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 08:39:16 am »
I would say get a real one too, I was sent a dodgy fake one by a friend before I got my proper one and it didnt not work properly at all, I did however manage to buy my proper one sexiness hand from here for £100, tbh it's been a god send, especially as I managed to set the airbag light of on the ed30 the day before I was px it lol
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 10:10:18 am by 182_blue »

Offline scooba

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 09:52:06 am »
Thanks guys, this is what i wanted to hear.I dont mind paying for the right one ,just dont want aggro or rubbish so please advise  :happy2:

Offline Smudgster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 09:47:25 am »
I have a genuine one for sale m8. I used it to code my Bluetooth and RNS510 plus have a general mess about. Sold my 2008 Ed30 now so it is surplus. Its in the sale section for £225 delivered!!! 110% genuine not a ebay chinese copy!!!

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 10:27:37 am »
Think I am going to get flamed here, but here goes.

If you are just mucking about on your own car. Look out for an 812 version on fleaBay. It will cost about £20.
You need the 812 beta software usually supplied with the cable. And you need to make sure the time on the laptop is march 2009.

I don't really agree with ripping off guys who have written and developed such good Software.
But if Ross-Tec sold a lead that was for a DIY mechanic "locked" to one car, say by VIN number for the £50-100 mark I would be in the queue.
No Golf anymore. 
Enjoyed the last five years of ownership of Mk5 & 6 GTIs.
Plus an excellent forum for knowledge and new ways to deplete the bank account.
Thank You Everyone.

Offline S2 Ant

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 01:27:58 pm »
I've just got myself a VAGCOM cable thats compatible with my Golf. Software is the VCDS 908 and works fine and was far from £250!
I wanted one for the occassional use on my car and didnt wanna spend that kind of money on one as its overkill quite frankly. Was bought via someone on another forum i use
Ant

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 03:07:59 pm »
I've just got myself a VAGCOM cable thats compatible with my Golf. Software is the VCDS 908 and works fine and was far from £250!
I wanted one for the occassional use on my car and didnt wanna spend that kind of money on one as its overkill quite frankly. Was bought via someone on another forum i use

I'm all ears here, any hints or pointers Ant? I could do with a cable but can't justify £250 for the once or twice a year I'd use it. As it is I borrow the lead and laptop from my local VW indie for 10 mins once I'm 100% on what I'm doing (by researching on forums and asking him his advice!) in return for a beer or two but I don't like taking the piss by borrowing it very often as it's his livelihood....
Andy
7R

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 03:50:14 pm »

I'm all ears here, any hints or pointers Ant? I could do with a cable but can't justify £250 for the once or twice a year I'd use it. As it is I borrow the lead and laptop from my local VW indie for 10 mins once I'm 100% on what I'm doing (by researching on forums and asking him his advice!) in return for a beer or two but I don't like taking the piss by borrowing it very often as it's his livelihood....

if you only use it once or twice a year as you state i don't think he'll mind  :smiley:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline scooba

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 07:12:41 am »
I want the vagcom as a just in case tool.The day I need it I wont have one ,My sons GTI ED30 ,has only done 11k miles and is mint and covered till next june on vag warrenty ,He keeps his cars for years  so the vagcom will one day be usefull I am sure just want the best with right cable

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 08:34:44 am »
Buying a genuine cable is the best solution.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 08:54:18 am »
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 09:04:35 am »
Buying a genuine cable is the best solution.

x2  :happy2:

Please do not promote or post links to non genuine copies of the Ross Tech Cables on this site.

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
Stu...