Make a donation

Author Topic: A1 Wheels  (Read 17261 times)

Offline robern2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
A1 Wheels
« on: June 19, 2010, 04:40:31 pm »
A big thanks to Nigel and the guys at A1 wheels in Wolverhampton who turned my wife's wheels around in a day.
The powder coated finish is superb, and makes the wheels a joy to clean....so to speak.

Offline swiftlupogti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Re: A1 Wheels
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 06:57:28 pm »
they look stunning!im glad i live in wolves only 5 mins from A1..because no doubt my monza 2's will need a refurb when the whiteworm starts!!heard nothing but good things about these guys

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 08:10:16 pm »
^^^^
Good to hear that Nigel and his team are still giving such great customer satisfaction and service. Looking at their premises it's a perfect example of never judge a book by its cover.

Here's my thread about my experiences with A1:   http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,726.0.html

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 07:05:02 pm »
they look stunning!im glad i live in wolves only 5 mins from A1..because no doubt my monza 2's will need a refurb when the whiteworm starts!!heard nothing but good things about these guys

Never had to go to them, but I drive past most days.
Food to see more local lads on here! I am up in Bushbury.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 06:14:21 pm »
Those of you who have used A1 - If you book, can you wait while the wheels are done or must the car be left with them?

I assume the wheels need re-balancing when the tyre is re-applied, do they do this too?

Thanks.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 12:24:29 pm »
Those of you who have used A1 - If you book, can you wait while the wheels are done or must the car be left with them?

I assume the wheels need re-balancing when the tyre is re-applied, do they do this too?

Thanks.

It's not exactly a five minute job Pete and there's not a lot to do there  :laugh:   You can have them do a same day service, or you could ask if they have any loaner wheels and leave the wheels with them for longer.

And yes they re-fit the tyres, re-valve and balance.  :happy2:

Offline robern2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 01:58:03 pm »
they did mine in a day. I took the tram into brum snooped around then picked the car up at 6. For me it was pref to going back another day to collect wheels.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 08:44:14 pm »

Thanks.

It's not exactly a five minute job Pete and there's not a lot to do there  :laugh:   You can have them do a same day service, or you could ask if they have any loaner wheels and leave the wheels with them for longer.

No, totally, but didn't know if it was an hour per wheel or a fixed duration. I'm a while away from Wolverhampton so if I've got metrics, I can plan around that  :wink:

Cool, cheers Nath.

they did mine in a day. I took the tram into brum snooped around then picked the car up at 6. For me it was pref to going back another day to collect wheels.

When did you arrive at A1 with the car out of interest?
If it was early AM, then at least I can account for a whole day out the schedule. Ta  :happy2:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline robern2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 02:02:44 pm »
Hi,
I popped up tp A1 wheels when the world cup was on, arrived at 08.30.
Never having been to brum before the thought of spending the day snooping around and using the tram (£4.50 for the whole day) was ideal.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 08:12:01 am »
Nathan, what do they do with TPMS valves?  I'm thinking about getting my RS wheels done, and they have the radio-type bolt-in metal valves.  Oh, and do the match exactly the OEM colours?

And does anyone have a web link, or contact details?  :smiley:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 11:28:31 am »

Nathan, what do they do with TPMS valves?  I'm thinking about getting my RS wheels done, and they have the radio-type bolt-in metal valves.  Oh, and do the match exactly the OEM colours?

....My name's not Nathan, it's Smarty Pants  :laugh:

The TPMS valves like my TyreSure can easily be removed and reinstalled.

A1 don't have a website (unless this has changed recently). Contact Nigel:  01902 871422 - They're in Wolverhampton.

HTH  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 12:37:42 pm »

Pretty much as Robin has said, if they know in advance about the valves they will ensure they have whatever they need in stock. I recently had some 18'' Monza's refurbed there and when I went to have the tyres fitted they realised they were the hollow type BBS and didn't have the correct metal valves. The local VW dealer didn't have them in either but then Nigel realised he had a set in for a Porsche which were identical and used those and charged me the trade price from VW for their valves. Helped me out of a tricky spot, can't fault the customer service!  :happy2:

Offline mrbeck

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 07:13:38 pm »
Anyone able to give me a rough estimate on how much A1 charge?

I have a set of 18" Zolders on my Golf, two of which are kerbed.  Would like to repair the damage and change the colour to black.
2008 VW Golf GT Sport TSI 1.4 (170PS)

OEM + Cruise Control (Retrofit), R36 Omanyt 18" Alloys, R32 Rear Lights, VW Polo Stubby Aerial, VW Front & Rear Mud Guards, Team Heko Wind Deflectors, Dubmeister Pressed Plates, ABT Wolfsburg Plate Surrounds, Autoform Boot Liner.

Offline ILoveTuna

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 07:20:22 pm »

Never had to go to them, but I drive past most days.
Food to see more local lads on here! I am up in Bushbury.

Small world i was brought up in Bushbury went to Northicote!!  :happy2:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=urao5ivm4msm394n7s0ramnmkt&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 07:56:08 pm »
Million dollar question...... :popcornsoda:

Can A1 refurbish the BBS pescaras back to almost OEM colour??  :smiley: