Make a donation

Author Topic: homemade carbon fibre grill thingy.  (Read 2321 times)

Offline jaffa666

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
homemade carbon fibre grill thingy.
« on: June 20, 2010, 06:41:08 pm »
Happening troops, had a bit of a fun wknd, well when I say fun I mean more expermental.
got myself a grill and decided to have a little go wrapping it in carbon fibre, not the vinyl stuff, the real deal.

In all fairness would have been about 100 times quicker with vinyl 1000 times easier, and the better half would have been a million times less angry with me at making our small kitchen a carbon fibre workshop for 3days, lol. (nothin beats the real macoy though)

my mate who's makes baths for a living, gave me a hand and to be honest prob couldnt have done it without his help, (his moto is "If he cant make it out of fibreglass....It cant be made, lol) which gave me a bit of confidence. as its kinda like the same stuff but my mate says its alot harder working with carbon.
For our 1st attempt I think we done a not too bad job, its not 100% brilliant but wasnt expecting it to be as good as it turned out.

Carbon been laid and 1st clear coat has been applied.  Was thinking to myself this isnt gonna work out, lol.

A  few more layers
of clear coat had been added and rubbed down. and lipstick had been put in place to see how it was looking. started thinkin to myself this might not be as bad as had 1st thought. lol.

rubbed down a bit more and a cpl caots of laquer and put on the car to see how it looks, and surprised at how good it actaully looks.

Like I said not 100% perfect but looks fairly decent i thought. its back off the car just now as my mate is gonna take into his work and machine polish it, to try and bring it up a little bit better. and we were learning little tricks and tips all the time, so will only keep getting better with the more we do.

let me know what your thoughts are, as we were thinking about a little business venture, and doin these on a p/x basis, u send us ex-amout, and we send you a carbon grill, when u recieve it, you send us your standard grill, when we recieve that we send you ex-amount back. (obviously if you are local then just we can just meet up and swap grills and cash. we will need to work out how much and if its gonna be worth while doing this, as there is quite alot of work involved. and the misses being angry with me is gonna reflect on the price, lol.

Offline Greeners

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
Re: homemade carbon fibre grill thingy.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 06:45:02 pm »
Looks very good!  :happy2:

And I'm sure you could get more than a few interested in this!

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 06:54:48 pm »
That looks pretty good for DIY :happy2:

Offline jaffa666

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 06:58:48 pm »
Looks very good!  :happy2:

And I'm sure you could get more than a few interested in this!

cheers mate, hopefully get a bit of interest and see what happens, its not 100% but reckon the more we do the better we will get.
if some one is looking close enough to see the wee niggly bits then their looking far to close at your car, lol.
hopefully the wee niggly bits will become less and less and eventually go away with time and practise, but not a bad 1st attemp, some one walkin past will just think hmmmm, look..... that bit is carbon fibre, thats kool, and not walk past and say look at that poor attempt at a carbon fibre job.  :signLOL:

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 07:07:45 pm »
Looks like you and your mate have done a cracking job there, as has been said im sure there will be a few people interested in this  :congrats: :drool:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline S2 Ant

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 07:17:02 pm »
I really like how that looks! I wanna do something like this for mine and lose the plate mounting etc cos it just looks messy!
It really tidies up the front of the car with that done  :congrats:
Ant

Offline jaffa666

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 07:22:55 pm »
I really like how that looks! I wanna do something like this for mine and lose the plate mounting etc cos it just looks messy!
It really tidies up the front of the car with that done  :congrats:

Yeah will need to do the magnet trick, for the reg plate, I have it done to my standard grill, and will be doin it to this aswell, only takes about an hour 2 do.

if you want it carbon on your car, but dont want to go through the ball ache of doin it then, you know where I am, :wink:

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 07:54:52 pm »
excellent job, nice someone is having a go against all that fony carbon vinyl  :congrats:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 09:19:48 pm »
What sort of price would you be looking at to do something like this for us guys?
Looks ace, like the real thing.

Offline jaffa666

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 10:37:15 pm »
What sort of price would you be looking at to do something like this for us guys?
Looks ace, like the real thing.

Not really sure yet, will need to sit down wi ma mate, and try figure out how much all the stuff cost and things like that.
not only the cost of material but the fact it takes the best part of 3days to do.

I am thinking prob about 100-120 with a p/x with ur grill.  this is just a rough price off the top of my head, it may be more it may be less, once we have worked it all out. dont know how that sounds to the guys on here.

will see what kind of interest we can get, and see if its gonna be worth while doing, obviously if we get enough interest, then we can see about buyin the carbon, and resins etc, in bigger quantities at a lower price, and will obviously reflect on the price we sell them at.

sure the ppl on here will soon let there opinions on this idea be heard.