Make a donation

Author Topic: The new 3"" system now a small sound clip  (Read 35083 times)

Offline luca

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Re: The new 3"" system now a small sound clip
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2009, 06:24:30 pm »
Think you smoked one too many today joe :signLOL:

Tornado red ED30, Revo stage 2, ITG Panel filter, 3" Blueflame turbo back exhaust, leon cupra front brakes, ecs dogbone mount, WALK kit, Eibach sportlines, Satin black Monza II's, VWR/sachs paddle clutch

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2009, 06:58:37 pm »

Think you smoked one too many today joe :signLOL:

OR:

^ 3" or 2.75" spliff? ^

Posted before but both stiil good to watch imo.

I'm told that herb isn't so clean as it used to be in my day :sad:

8)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 07:00:20 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2009, 08:17:11 pm »
does mat have a cat? i though it was straight through? also why does a cat make it purr?  :smiley:

Cat... Purr.. You know..

:signIWS: i have 2 dogs  :P

and yes mine does have a cat on i thought it did not but it does

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2009, 09:26:09 am »
 :ashamed: :ashamed: :ashamed: ill get my coat  :chicken:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2009, 11:34:25 am »
Any chance of a ball park figure for the cost of the BF system please guys? Just an idea of cost as this is quite high on my to-do list.

It's also a bit of a myth that back pressure = low end torque... It's all to do with the scavenging effect within the exhaust pipe. At lower RPM with a larger exhaust, exhaust gas velocity it lower meaning the pressure waves moving through the exhaust are less powerful. This is more of problem at lower RPM because at higher RPM, the pulse frequency is much higher and the gas flow is closer to constant. The scavenging effectively sucks exhaust gas out of the engine rather than leaving the engine to push it out. By reducing this effect you are making the engine work harder, hence the apparent drop in low end torque. It's still there, but less is being transmitted to the wheels.

However, having said all that, it's less of an issue with turbo car's as the turbo vanes are in the exhaust stream meaning the pulses are diminished somewhat and there is less scavenging effect in the first place, therefore less to loose. So in theory, on the GTi, you shouldn't really notice much drop in low end torque (especially with a turbo anyway). Infact, it's almost win-win because you aren't loosing low end torque because you weren't relying on the scavenger effect in the first place (as with a N/A engine) but you are lowering back pressure with means more power at higher rpm due to less of a pressure drop over the length of the system.

Sorry for my rambling/thinking out loud... quiet day in the office. I thought it might be relevant.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2009, 11:37:40 am »
Animal we have a group buy on this at the moment look in the special offer section.

But basically it is £ 764 for the full turbo back system fitted.  :smiley:

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2009, 11:40:11 am »
Cool, thanks.

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2009, 11:49:38 am »
Any chance of a ball park figure for the cost of the BF system please guys? Just an idea of cost as this is quite high on my to-do list.

It's also a bit of a myth that back pressure = low end torque... It's all to do with the scavenging effect within the exhaust pipe. At lower RPM with a larger exhaust, exhaust gas velocity it lower meaning the pressure waves moving through the exhaust are less powerful. This is more of problem at lower RPM because at higher RPM, the pulse frequency is much higher and the gas flow is closer to constant. The scavenging effectively sucks exhaust gas out of the engine rather than leaving the engine to push it out. By reducing this effect you are making the engine work harder, hence the apparent drop in low end torque. It's still there, but less is being transmitted to the wheels.

However, having said all that, it's less of an issue with turbo car's as the turbo vanes are in the exhaust stream meaning the pulses are diminished somewhat and there is less scavenging effect in the first place, therefore less to loose. So in theory, on the GTi, you shouldn't really notice much drop in low end torque (especially with a turbo anyway). Infact, it's almost win-win because you aren't loosing low end torque because you weren't relying on the scavenger effect in the first place (as with a N/A engine) but you are lowering back pressure with means more power at higher rpm due to less of a pressure drop over the length of the system.

Sorry for my rambling/thinking out loud... quiet day in the office. I thought it might be relevant.

well said  :happy2:

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2009, 11:57:25 am »
Thanks!  :smiley:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2009, 12:02:40 pm »
^^^^
Usefully informative, animal! :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2009, 12:42:12 pm »
Don't take it as gospel. It makes sense in my head and I think I've managed to get it down properly. I just wanted to try and dispel this commonly held misconception that back-pressure is needed for torque. It's all about exhaust gas velocity as low RPM.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2009, 12:47:40 pm »
Don't take it as gospel. It makes sense in my head and I think I've managed to get it down properly. I just wanted to try and dispel this commonly held misconception that back-pressure is needed for torque. It's all about exhaust gas velocity as low RPM.

Very true, but as far as I understood there was little to no scavenging effect on a tubo car post turbo in the exhaust??.. Only turbulence caused by the wastegate opening if you have an internally gated exhaust..

The reason you can get away with a larger diameter downpipe that then steps down to a smaller diameter later on in the exhaust is that the exhaust gasses exiting the turbo are much hotter, ie, more velocity and as they cool going down the exhaust they need less space..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2009, 12:56:57 pm »
Yeah, the rules are different for turbo engines. I forgot until I was half way through writing that the GTi is forced induction (doh!) which is why I added the bit at the end about it being less of an issue on the GTi. But yes, there will be a change in density as the gas cools so the change in diameter wouldn't be the end of the world. Although at the same time, any change in the pipe like that would still cause turbulence in the gas flow which effect the rate of flow?

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2009, 01:33:17 pm »
Yeah, the rules are different for turbo engines. I forgot until I was half way through writing that the GTi is forced induction (doh!) which is why I added the bit at the end about it being less of an issue on the GTi. But yes, there will be a change in density as the gas cools so the change in diameter wouldn't be the end of the world. Although at the same time, any change in the pipe like that would still cause turbulence in the gas flow which effect the rate of flow?

Yeah, thats what I mean, you can get away with a step down but its certainly not ideal. You need the smoothest flowing system possible with the smallest silencers too, big silencers, even if they have a straight through design end up being huge expansion areas where the exhaust gasses will loose heat and  therefore velocity..

The most critical part is having the optimum diameter. 70mm for K03 / 76mm for K04 seems to work well.. Although I think 70mm on a K04 also works well, but you will loose some potential top end power..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2010, 04:14:45 pm »