Make a donation

Author Topic: Abrasive polish....worth it?  (Read 2199 times)

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
Abrasive polish....worth it?
« on: June 23, 2010, 02:14:02 pm »
Hi there. Has anyone ever used Menzerna - Final Finish Polish, in particular on a red golf? I recently used some lusso pre wax cleaner which has made the car look lush however I can still see some swirls.
 Having looked into it a little it talks about how hard a clear coat is and not all flat colours having one!? I wanna give it a go by hand but don't want to end up rubbing through the paint altogether and I'm curious how effective these abrasive polishes are when applies by hand rather than by machine.

Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ta, Boothy.

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Abrasive polish....worth it?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 07:03:28 pm »
Menzerna polishes are great but very fussy. Apply when too cold or too warm and they don't breakdown as well. Hence it's best applied by machine.

The pro detailers on here can advice you on handpolishes. Try Autoglym Super Resin polish for hand polishing. Supposedly gives very good results.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 46
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 07:08:27 pm »
Wouldnt touch menzerna without a machine. Awesome awesome stuff though when used right!

AG super resin isnt abrasive its a filler. Something like megs step1 or sonus ssx1 is good for hand polishing, then follow with step 2 or ssx2 to bring back the shine, then a glaze to add the depth then a sealant and/or wax  :happy2:

Offline QD MBE

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 08:28:10 pm »
I use Mez range of polishes as well as Sonus stuff.

Great with a machine, never tried with by hand.

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 08:46:40 pm »
So could I use the sonus ssx1, followed by my existing lusso cleaners/polish and then the lusso wax? I just want something I can use to get rid of the swirls but continue to use my lusso products as I've been impressed with the results.

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 46
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 09:11:21 pm »
So could I use the sonus ssx1, followed by my existing lusso cleaners/polish and then the lusso wax? I just want something I can use to get rid of the swirls but continue to use my lusso products as I've been impressed with the results.

Yes mate, you use abrasive polish and follow with a polish to restore (non abrasive) the brand isnt important.

You wont manage more than a 60-70% defect removal by hand though.

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 12:54:58 am »
Cheers Jules. Might order a sample pot and see what difference it makes. Even 60% correction is better than nothing I suppose.

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 09:15:28 am »
Don't use any machine polishes by hand, the micro abrasives are designed to break down at different stages at heats you just can't generate by hand.  Fillers are your best bet with vag paints, something like megs nxt 2 is the best I've found.  Menz are awesome but intensive polish, rather than final finish is far more easy going on vag paint.  It finishes LSP ready and removes far more imperfections in one hit.  But, machine only!

Best product for hand correction is megs scratch x but in my experience, it has no effect at all on my diamond pearl paint

Offline S2 Ant

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 10:23:22 am »
Going against what you've jsut put, i dont particularly rate Megs stuff at all and its generally more pricey than anything else as well.

I recently toyed with some AG Paint Renovator on the GF's car as it had some light scratches and major swirls. Lots of elbow grease later the bonnet had the light scratches pretty much totally removed but the swirls were too much for my "Mr Muscle" arms lol

When i get a DA i'll try do the job properly tho
Ant

Offline autoperfection.com

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 28
  • autoperfection.com
    • autoperfection shop
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 03:29:57 pm »
Hi Boothy,

If you're polishing by hand we'd recommend going for something like Poorboys Super Swirl Remover 1, which is much better suited to hand polishing than most others, which are best suited to the higher speeds created by using a machine.
http://www.autoperfection.com/shop/Poorboys-Super-Swirl-Remover-1-16oz.html

If the swirls are really bad and you want as much correction as possible, you could go for Super Swirl Remover 2 first, which is more abrasive, but you will need to then refine this with the 1 afterwards.
http://www.autoperfection.com/shop/Poorboys-Super-Swirl-Remover-2-16oz.html

Have to disagree with Jules on the SRP though, whilst it does have fillers in it, it is actually abrasive, which is why it's used as a polish.

If you already have the Menzerna Final Finish you can use this by hand, but you have to be prepared to put in some serious elbow grease as it will take much longer to achieve results by hand, but it will work!

Hope this helps

Taryn and Jim  :happy2:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 03:31:33 pm by autoperfection.com »