Make a donation

Author Topic: MPG? - Standard 2005 GTI  (Read 13952 times)

Offline Allardice

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
MPG? - Standard 2005 GTI
« on: June 27, 2010, 02:21:37 am »
Hi,

Just wanted to check something with everyone about the fuel consumption on the GTI as it is not as good as I expected.

Since I got the car the best I have averaged is 27mpg over a full tankof fuel and more recently I have got only 255 miles (23.5mpg) from a tank. Although I have been driving with some enthusiasm I still expected more.

Any thoughts?

Offline big al

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
Re: MPG? - Standard 2005 GTI
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 03:56:20 am »
Its all down to how you drive really, how long for, etc.
Make sure your car gets up to temperature before you thrape it. I get about 33mpg on my 05 gti, standard, only minor mods, ie exhaust, intake.

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 04:25:50 am »
Also depends on the roads your use...short journeys etc?

I was always in low 20's at best  :evilgrin:

Thats what I bought it for  :laugh:
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 04:42:11 am »
i have seen 15mpg but i have also seen 46mpg. average around 30mpg.

it all down to short trips or long trips.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 06:52:17 am »
It varies, as others have said, on the type of journey and how heavy your right foot is.

I have gone to work during rush hour and struggle to see anything above 25mpg. Same journey home when no one's about means 30mpg. On motorways, the best mpg was above 40mpg!

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Britishlion

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 13
  • I have an eBay business !
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 07:48:07 am »

I dont know if this is true or not.

But I read that if you DONT use 98/99 ron fuel you can expect less MPG as the engines in these are designed for high octane fuel.

Do you us 95 RON ??

While your on the the best GTI forum, get your wife to peruse my.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BRIGHTSPARKS-CONSULTANTS-WEB-STORE

Offline alastairc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 08:19:04 am »
40mpg! I should be so lucky. On the motorway over 160 miles i thought 27mpg was good......

On the back rounds round here i only seem to get 12-15mpg  :happy2:
Mk5 GTI DSG, Stage 2 Bluefin, Revo DSG Remap, Miltek Stainless Turbo back with Race cat, Forge Twintercooler, Carbonio Intake, Upgraded Disks and Green Stuff Pads, Konzept Open Fogs, Upgraded OEM Divertor, Leather, SatNav.

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 09:36:42 am »
mixed driving average 33mpg lowest 20 mpg best 42mpg car has r-tech stage one map runs on esso 97 as thats the best i can get where i live

Offline bodger00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 20
  • A wish called Zonda
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 10:12:53 am »
On the back rounds round here i only seem to get 12-15mpg  :happy2:

:surprised: 12- 15MPG

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 10:41:20 am »
I'd echo the above.  On my 20 minute commute of town driving and a blast on a dual carriageway Its usually around 26 mpg.  I have taken the car on a long and relatively slow cruise and have seen around 44 mpg.  I've found it to be a bit jekyl and hyde consumption wise, take it nice and easy and its very good for what it is, push it and the mpg plummets.

With regards to 95 / 99 ron fuel, quoted from golfgti.co.uk:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards FSI owners mainly.

The higher the octane rating of the fuel the longer the FSI engine will run in FSI mode.

You see, when the FSI is running in 'Fuel Stratified Injection' mode it creates a lot of NoX (NoX - Very bad as far as emisions go) due to it being such a lean burn, so it has a NoX Cat which abrorbs the NoX, once its full the Nox probe (fancy lambda probe) senses this and the engine switches back to normal running and can safely clear the NoX out with the other gases through the main Cat so it can switch back into in FSI mode again.

The problem with octane levels is, and this is just an example depending on driving styles.

Out of 100 miles average :-

95RON - 90 miles normal, 10 miles FSI (lots of NoX made in FSI mode)

97+RON - 60 miles normal, 40 miles FSI (some NoX made in FSI mode)

Now regardless of what anyone says this is how the engine is built and as its more efficient in FSI mode VW always recommend the highest octane rating for this reason, they did introduce a 1.4FSI for the uk market that is made to run on 95RON fuel for longer but you want to see the size of the NoX Cat, more like a tanker. lol

And after all that, you will get better miles to the gallon running 97+RON regardless of it being an FSI, its they way they are made these days, the ecu recognises when the fuel mixture combusts and will adjust it accordingly, the cheaper the fuel the more retarded the timing, the more retarded the timing the less power, the less power the more you 'need' to put the foot down.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The engine operates in two modes, 'power' mode and 'lean' mode (FSI).  The engine will only go into lean (FSI) mode when there is no demand for power and engine speed is steady (cruising).  Hence why there is such a big difference in mpg observed between the 'demanding' drives and more sedate cruises.

From my own personal experience and based on my driviving, I've found that 95 ron makes a noticeable difference to the power available at the 'top end' but its not so noticable at 'sensible' rpm's such as you might use around town and such.  I would also say that for my commute i.e a lot of stop starts and basically no opportunity for the engine to go into 'FSI' mode, 95 made next to no difference to the mpg.  Different story for longer cruises where the engine was able to go into 'FSI' mode, mpg was worse. 

I tried 95 for about a month and came to these conclusions and am back to running on 99 exclusively.

Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 11:05:26 am »
The majority of my journeys are town driving and I have never got less than 300 miles from a tank.  For reference I was in a real rush a few days ago, I had 1hr 20 mins to do a journey the sat nav said would take 1hr 40. Driving very hard down mainly country lanes I did it in an hr dead and averaged 31.8mpg. Averaged 38mpg driving normally on the way back and climate was set to 20deg the whole time with outside temp of 28deg. I'm also revo stage one.

I don't believe I could get my mpg as low as you are showing, there must be something wrong. I'm sure I have a coil or spark plugs on the way out which can't be helping me.

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 02:48:03 pm »
I've a 2005 GTI thats standard too, but with DSG.

I've come from an Ibiza Cupra TDi that I used to see 45-48mpg on a long run, and no less than 40mpg generally.

As I only got the car yesterday I can't really judge, I put £15 of petrol in a totally empty tank (95 RON as only had £15 cash and didnt trust the garage to use my card), then stopped off and put £60 of BP Ultimate to fill up, again not the best fuel I know, but it was a motorway service station - and at £1.32 a litre I just wanted to go home after paying lol!

On the way back cruising at about 75 I was seeing 31mpg ish, but it will take some time im sure to adjust to my driving style, I just did a short run and got 32.5mpg.

As long as I get 350 miles from a tank i'll be happy, (although not if it costs £75 to fill up lol) as the Cupra got about 385 miles to £50 - but then you don't buy a GTI for fuel economy!

Fill up with 98 / 99 RON and maybe add some millers into the tank and see if that improves your mpg? I guess a faulty lambda probe could cause your car to be running too rich and using too much fuel...

Offline stumk5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 07:18:35 pm »
hi,

i have a 2005gti DSG, i get ave 28mpg and thats with steady driving, if i give it some beans then i get low 20's.

My previous car was a impreza(you could see the petrol gauge going down when pressing the loud pedal) so these figures are great for me.

stu

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 07:29:38 pm »
I've a 2005 GTI thats standard too, but with DSG.

I've come from an Ibiza Cupra TDi that I used to see 45-48mpg on a long run, and no less than 40mpg generally.

As I only got the car yesterday I can't really judge, I put £15 of petrol in a totally empty tank (95 RON as only had £15 cash and didnt trust the garage to use my card), then stopped off and put £60 of BP Ultimate to fill up, again not the best fuel I know, but it was a motorway service station - and at £1.32 a litre I just wanted to go home after paying lol!

On the way back cruising at about 75 I was seeing 31mpg ish, but it will take some time im sure to adjust to my driving style, I just did a short run and got 32.5mpg.

As long as I get 350 miles from a tank i'll be happy, (although not if it costs £75 to fill up lol) as the Cupra got about 385 miles to £50 - but then you don't buy a GTI for fuel economy!

Fill up with 98 / 99 RON and maybe add some millers into the tank and see if that improves your mpg? I guess a faulty lambda probe could cause your car to be running too rich and using too much fuel...

I used to get a regular 375 to a tank on my Ed 30 (no point thrapping it TO work..........).  My cayman S today gave me just shy of 390 (round trip to inters), slightly larger tank i think, but on the motorway at a steady 75, it shows 32.5 ish.  Giving a bit on some nice roads near inters saw low 20's......... :evilgrin: :evilgrin:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 07:32:09 pm by stokeballoon »

Offline Britishlion

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 13
  • I have an eBay business !
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2010, 09:19:21 pm »

so do you guys recommend using 99 ron (as now sold in tesco) ???

While your on the the best GTI forum, get your wife to peruse my.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BRIGHTSPARKS-CONSULTANTS-WEB-STORE