Make a donation

Author Topic: MK5 newbie questions  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Syrag64

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
MK5 newbie questions
« on: July 01, 2010, 01:43:02 pm »
I'm new to mk5 ownership (but have modded mk3's before) I have some ideas but not sure if they would work the same as on a mk3 (if you get what i mean?)

1) Can i de-lock the drivers door handle with a rear handle?

2) I want to change to better lights (hid?) is it best to buy original hid headlights or can i just get the conversion kits (if so where is the best place to get them?)

3) I want better brakes (fast road use) what is the easiest/best vfm upgrade? I'm after plug & play if poss?

4) More power - not doing track days just fast road use - best vfm upgrade?

That will do for now, i've done a search of the forum and have some ideas but would appreciate other members ideas?

Thanks  :smiley:
Black 2007 GTI Manual, Stage 3 K04, R32 Bumper/Exhaust, WALK, adj rear ARB, KW1's, Twintercooler, Twintake, 18's (winters), 19's (summer) modified dectane LED rear lights, NQSBBK, Forge dump valve, Xenon look headlights with 5000k HID, 3" downpipe with sports cat, TT wishbones, uprated HPFP, Sach Uprated Clutch, Quaife LSD, VT & THS Engine Mounts.
To be fitted: Reverse Camera & uprated headunit.

Future plans: De-dent & Detail

Offline CarrG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 17
Re: MK5 newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 02:06:13 pm »

Hi and welcome,

3, R32/S3/Cupra 345mm front discs and caliper are a good vfm upgrade.
4, Simple remap will see good vfm gains.

Not sure on the lights or delock.  :happy2:
K1 Revo 2+
Ibis RS3
VW California 180 DSG "Candy"!

Offline Syrag64

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 03:24:05 pm »

Hi and welcome,

3, R32/S3/Cupra 345mm front discs and caliper are a good vfm upgrade.
4, Simple remap will see good vfm gains.

Not sure on the lights or delock.  :happy2:

Cheers

Is the 345mm disks/caliper a straight fit or do i have to get another parts?

What re-map is the best?
Black 2007 GTI Manual, Stage 3 K04, R32 Bumper/Exhaust, WALK, adj rear ARB, KW1's, Twintercooler, Twintake, 18's (winters), 19's (summer) modified dectane LED rear lights, NQSBBK, Forge dump valve, Xenon look headlights with 5000k HID, 3" downpipe with sports cat, TT wishbones, uprated HPFP, Sach Uprated Clutch, Quaife LSD, VT & THS Engine Mounts.

Offline Jaywoo-GTI

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 03:29:59 pm »
In answer to your first question, A de-lock kit is the cheapest and easiest way to go.

[ebay]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MK4-5-Golf-Bora-De-Lock-Door-Kit-DeLock-Barrel-Cap-/370095847016?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item562b6e7668[/ebay]

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 04:44:32 pm »
3) I want better brakes (fast road use) what is the easiest/best vfm upgrade? I'm after plug & play if poss?

if you want plug and play,

then you need to uprate your pads to a more fast road orientated pad such as ferrodo DS2500, Hawk HP+, mintex M1144 etc, changing the standard fluid to a higher spec fluid such as motul RBF600, and braided hoses, this should improve  braking power, feel and reduce the likely hood of brakje fade drastically.

The R32/S3/cupra 345mm upgrade would eb your next option, this isnt a plug and play, and requires new calipers, discs, pads, hoses, brake shields etc so not exactly plug and play, this will set you back about £600(new) not including fitting.  there are very often second hand sets for sale for around 250-300 on here which would be a bargain.

Remap wise

have a look about, read LOTS of reviews, go for something with a good customer base, and a good rating.  Dont buy with cost as your first priority, you pay for quality at the end of the day.

my short list would be shark performance, REVO and GIAC and APR.

also consider future modding possibilities, because believe me, we have all said we only want stage 1, only to upgrade and go way past it, so make sure the remap you choose will give you the options of upgrading in stages, and interact well with additional mods

Offline Syrag64

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 05:39:21 pm »

if you want plug and play,

then you need to uprate your pads to a more fast road orientated pad such as ferrodo DS2500, Hawk HP+, mintex M1144 etc, changing the standard fluid to a higher spec fluid such as motul RBF600, and braided hoses, this should improve  braking power, feel and reduce the likely hood of brakje fade drastically.

The R32/S3/cupra 345mm upgrade would eb your next option, this isnt a plug and play, and requires new calipers, discs, pads, hoses, brake shields etc so not exactly plug and play, this will set you back about £600(new) not including fitting.  there are very often second hand sets for sale for around 250-300 on here which would be a bargain.

Remap wise

have a look about, read LOTS of reviews, go for something with a good customer base, and a good rating.  Dont buy with cost as your first priority, you pay for quality at the end of the day.

my short list would be shark performance, REVO and GIAC and APR.

also consider future modding possibilities, because believe me, we have all said we only want stage 1, only to upgrade and go way past it, so make sure the remap you choose will give you the options of upgrading in stages, and interact well with additional mods

Thanks for the reply, when i say plug & play what i should of said was bolt on but fairly easy to do myself  :signLOL:

I will keep my eye open for some 345mm beautys  :wink:

Saint Steve

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 05:43:54 pm »
I'm new to mk5 ownership (but have modded mk3's before) I have some ideas but not sure if they would work the same as on a mk3 (if you get what i mean?)

1) Can i de-lock the drivers door handle with a rear handle?

2) I want to change to better lights (hid?) is it best to buy original hid headlights or can i just get the conversion kits (if so where is the best place to get them?)

4) More power - not doing track days just fast road use - best vfm upgrade?

That will do for now, i've done a search of the forum and have some ideas but would appreciate other members ideas?

Thanks  :smiley:

Welcome, i suggest you start reading some threads then chap with ALL your questions :wink: