Make a donation

Author Topic: I fancy some mpg.....  (Read 5282 times)

Offline FamilyDub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 2
  • ...who needs a diesel?
Re: I fancy some mpg.....
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 05:12:48 pm »

I came from a mapped Grande Punto 1.9 TD to the GTI... You'll reaaaaaallly enjoy the torque in the right band, but you need to short-shift like a MoFo...

Derv doesn't compare to petrol... :chicken:
MKV GTI | Reflex Silver | 5-dr, Family-Spec | 17" w/anthracite Finish | Manual | Highline | Cruise | Revision 'D' DV | Dirty Pipes |

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 05:15:40 pm »

I came from a mapped Grande Punto 1.9 TD to the GTI... You'll reaaaaaallly enjoy the torque in the right band, but you need to short-shift like a MoFo...

Derv doesn't compare to petrol... :chicken:

Exactly why the only acceptable way to have some fun in a diesel is to DSG it!  But it still wont be as much fun as a turbo petrol!

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 05:22:36 pm »
white GTD looks  :drool: but they are somewhat pricey , and you need to forget what second hand machinery you 'could' have bought with 24k!
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2010, 06:51:48 pm »
Don't do it! I did the same last year, got rid of my ED30 and bought a A3 140 S-Line! Worst decision I ever made hence me being back in an S3 three months later  :pomppomp:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2010, 06:58:20 pm »
I had an Edition 30 DSG remapped to 300bhp ... sold it and bought a Z4M Roadster .... and have sold that for a 320d coupe auto ... to save on costs !   

I was getting sick of the fuel bill, even in the 8 months I owned the Z4M.  Nothing wrong with the car at all but I wanted economy and auto for the first time in 25 years of driving.  I have always had performance cars and this  is the slowest car I have owned in 20 years!

Am I liking it  ?   Oh yes !!   The 320d auto is nippy enough and 40+ mpg everywhere ... with the auto it is one superb car.  No, it is nowhere near as quick as the Z4M let alone the Edition 30 but I am happy (and I can still remap  :laugh:)

Would I have changed from the Edition 30 to a Golf Bluemotion - in a word .... no !   Going from 6 to 60 .... or in the case of the Z4M, 5 to 60 ... to say 11 with a Golf Bluemotion would have been just too much to stomach.

Going from 5 to 60 to allegedly 7.8 with the 320d is about the best I can handle.  Still enough go for decent overtakes but whilst retaining economy and £125 road tax ....

The Golf GTD or A3 170 TDi give roughly the same performance as my BMW ..... and I wouldn't recommend any less coming from an S3 !   You don't need to have a silly loss in performance to retain some fun which either of these (or a 120/320d) will give.  Oh, and don't rule out the 123d .... having driven one they are stunning and still give over 40mpg. 

Just my views FWIW

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2010, 07:23:36 pm »
I'm thinking the same, going through some changes at work at the moment so don't want to commit to changing cars but if it settles down I'm off to buy a 320d m sport 3 series coupe.  650 miles to a tank, cheap tax and a car I really like, fingers crossed :smiley:

Nasir

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2010, 08:11:21 pm »
I personally would never own a diesel without a decent auto box as the shortened rev range makes it very un-sporty.  Just my opinion mind!  :signLOL:

So it's not just me who thinks that then :happy2:

The other thing to consider is the MK6 Bluemotion Golf is like Rocking horse $hit as the delivery on them when I last looked was over 6 months!  :confused:

Why were you looking? :laugh:

Offline Thor

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2010, 09:00:59 pm »
Im getting to that point of gettin sick of paying tax and insurance and loads of fuel! So was thinkin of a bluemotion mk6? Has anyone had any experiences? Reviews? I think a white one would look pretty slick? 

Mitch

Just get the S3 mapped Mitch, fuel economy on my ed30 has improved  :happy2:  if i stay off  the loud pedal  :laugh: :laugh:
Gone but not forgotten - Edition 30 No.2239
                                     Mk6 GTI

Ifti

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 09:07:46 pm »
The wife has a MK5 Golf Bluemotion 1.9.
Ive been using it recently since I sold my ED30, until something else comes along that I like (still undecided!).
Boring to drive. Just gets from A to B, with nothing in between.
I have average speed cameras to put up with during most of my journey to work as well now, so was no fun in the Ed30 either!

BUT.........

£30 per year road tax
Low LOW insurance
Regularly get 70-80mpg. One one work run the highest I ever got (70mph motorway, 50mpg on A roads, over 23 miles) was 86mpg!
Around £60 to fill up the tank, and one tank can easily do around 700+ miles (Computer reports around 800 but we've never taken it down so low to try out!)

So yes they are rubbish to drive, no fun at all, but if its money you want to save, its a good overall runner!
I plan to put all the extra money we've saved into the mortgage, as we are planning to move into a bigger house in a couple of years. the more I pay off now, the closer I am to the M3/RS4  :drool:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 09:09:37 pm by Ifti »

Offline true-blue

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2010, 09:23:21 pm »
I've got a golf MK6 GT140 CR Diesel, so no the full fat GTD, as a company car.

It's not balistic, but it's much more fun than the low power 105bhp 1.9tdi mk5.

It's very smooth for a diesel and pretty punchy - feels like it's got a lot more than 140 bhp tbh

It's also economical or very economical depending on how you drive. 40 mpg if you drive like a lunatic, 60 if you drive at a steady 70 mph.

It's very refined on the motorway, suprisingly quiet at 80 -90 mph inside.

Give one a try you might be pleasantly suprised!    :happy2:

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 09:45:11 pm by true-blue »
Octavia Vrs MKII - KO4, forge twintercooler, S3 Injectors, APR HPFP, RS4 FP Valve, Pipeworx 3'' DP and Sports cat, Piper non res exhuast, ITG Maxogen, Quaife Dif, sachs clutch kit, NQSBBBK with RS4-2 pads, H&R SS Coilovers with adjustable koni inserts.
Good for 328 BHP on JKM's rollers !!

Saint Steve

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2010, 09:24:36 pm »
My Fuel econamy has actually dropped in this very hot weather on my stage 2 car. Im not running a larger intercooler so ive reloaded my stock map, untill this hot weather subsides to improove my mpg.As soon as it cools down, i will re-install my stage 2 as colder intake temps will help in improving mpg which generally the Bluefin map does improve.

Offline Dec

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2010, 09:40:04 pm »
I have a 2.0tdi 140 Audi A3, and it is the most boring car ever. I'm only 19 so didnt come from an S3, only a Mk3 golf 16v that had a few bits done and was RR'd at 170bhp. So it was a bit of a drop, but the 16v was nice and revvy, and fun to drive, but the A3 is just boring tbh. I needed better economy along with cheaper insurance though, so it suits its purpose, but if I had the chance to travel less then I would definitely upgrade to something newer + quicker.

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 46
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2010, 10:17:59 pm »
Sell it and get yourself a house mate, then get another or something similar.

I sold my R32 last year to buy a property, I got myself a mini cooper s works, purely as it didnt lose a penny over the time i owed it and sold it for what i paid. Im now in an S3 and im 24 (as of last thursday anyway  :wink: )

Offline Jono76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2010, 10:34:33 pm »
Must admit i'm looking to get out of my GTi for financial reasons  :ashamed: :ashamed:

I don't drive like an idiot but struggle to do better than 28mpg over a full tank of V-Power.

I've been looking at either an Octavia CR170 Tdi vRS with DSG or a Superb CR170 Tdi Elegance with DSG (how much car for your money :happy2: :happy2:)

Been for a thrash this evening and will miss the GTi SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much but needs must :sad1: :sad1:

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2010, 07:50:36 am »
Cough....know what you mean about better economy...

This is my current tank (and that's with nearly 45 miles already on the tank).

Oh, it's an old 2005 GT 2.0TDI remapped to 185bhp, and fully loaded. Not too shabby ?

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr