Make a donation

Author Topic: I fancy some mpg.....  (Read 5280 times)

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
Re: I fancy some mpg.....
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2010, 08:15:46 am »
Im running a candy 140PD Rocco with 19's, H&R -35mm springs, R rear lights, RNS510, Premium bluetooth, Forge shortshifters

Standard it gets MDI, RDS510, privacy glass, 18x8" wheels, better seats than a golf, better looks than a golf.

I have averaged 55mpg since the day I got it and get 600 miles+ to a tank.

Insurance=buttons
Tax=buttons

Its missing DSG unfortunatley.

More importantly its worth more now than the day I bought it - its a nice feeling

Offline FamilyDub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 2
  • ...who needs a diesel?
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2010, 09:43:25 am »

I came from a mapped Grande Punto 1.9 TD to the GTI... You'll reaaaaaallly enjoy the torque in the right band, but you need to short-shift like a MoFo...

Derv doesn't compare to petrol... :chicken:

Exactly why the only acceptable way to have some fun in a diesel is to DSG it!  But it still wont be as much fun as a turbo petrol!

^^^ That was kinda my point.  :happy2:

To be honest, the only brand I would now consider getting a derv is a BMW. We've had FIAT, VAG and BMW diesels over the last 3-4 years and the BMW dervs are by far the best.

Our other car is only a sh1tty 116d and even that's ok compared to the VAG 1.9/2.0 we've also ran.  I tried to get SWMBO to insist her work give her a 330d coupe, but they weren't having it! I wonder why... :laugh:
MKV GTI | Reflex Silver | 5-dr, Family-Spec | 17" w/anthracite Finish | Manual | Highline | Cruise | Revision 'D' DV | Dirty Pipes |

Offline SteveTDCi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2010, 07:19:51 pm »
I had a bluemotion on demo for a week and ........ it was nice, the car itself felt good, the power was lacking but then it would be next to the cupra. on short trips like 3 miles it averaged 50mpg and on what i would call a short run at sensible speeds it averaged 62mpg, that was a 10 mile round trip, fast motorway work saw an average of 51mpg where the cupra averages 29mpg over the same route. The car had only covered 500 miles so i would expect all the figures to increase by 3-4mpg.

How quick was it ... not very, its quite high geared so to get any go you do need to drop down a gear but its got enough go to keep up with the traffic. The engine was smooth and quite, road tax is £0 and the spec is ok. Would i buy one, well if saving the planet was a concern then yes, it makes much more sense than a prius ( which was rubbish ) in act i'm now moving our fleet from Ford to VW and they will all be getting Golfs. Will they be getting the Bluemotion ..... no, i've picked the Match 1.6TDi with bluemotion tech, it doesn't have the bodykit but does have more toys, RCD510, cruise,armrest, hi line etc and the bluemotion pack adds start stop, yes you have to pay road tax - £35 but otherwise its still next to nothing. So yes i'd buy one ... BUT to change from the cupra would cost me around £7000 and that buys a LOT of V power

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2010, 07:45:03 pm »
MPG = overrated in my opinion  :wink:

Currently the fridge is on over 28mpg for the last 900 or so miles with my trip oop norf.

Anything more would just be greedy.  :laugh:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2010, 07:47:19 pm »
MPG = overrated in my opinion  :wink:

Currently the fridge is on over 28mpg for the last 900 or so miles with my trip oop norf.

Anything more would just be greedy.  :laugh:

i agree, im making 28.7 over the last 1900miles.   not bad considering that includes quite abit of logging(upto the speed limit of course :wink:), dyno runs, and the usual fast road malarky.

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2010, 04:57:18 am »
Not had a read of all the replies but saw the 2.0TDI engines emntioned and I would second that if you are going to change. You will get great mileage and still have a little bit of grunt if you need it.

I dont know the exact power of the 1.6 Bluemotion but since driving a 1.1 I have found it very frustrating driving on motorways. So the 140/170 engine would be ideal if it was me.

The S3 though...that would hurt getting shut of it...killed me selling the Eddy  :sad1:
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline MitchGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2010, 12:44:50 pm »
Ive got myself in a right dilema! Im torn between more power now and mpg! Im going to remap the S3 i think then see where it takes me from there!

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2010, 12:55:33 pm »
Ive got myself in a right dilema! Im torn between more power now and mpg! Im going to remap the S3 i think then see where it takes me from there!

Don't go for MPG, I tried that and regretted it sooo much, remap the S3 and then fall down the slope like I am :laugh: :grin:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline marty341

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2010, 01:38:42 pm »
If i were lucky enough to own an S3, i would do everything in my power to keep hold of her!

My brother has a stage 3 S3 and it is brutal fast! he still returns low 30s mpg driving normally. (keep her) :happy2:

« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 04:18:17 pm by marty341 »