Make a donation

Author Topic: Theo's Edition 30  (Read 16682 times)

Offline theo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 8
Theo's Edition 30
« on: June 29, 2010, 08:56:37 pm »
Right, well after some prompting here it comes...

The story started last year when i got the itching to get another hot hatch. At the time I was driving a Range Rover Sport 4.2S/C which was a great car and amazing in the snow with the engine noise that made your knees weak. The fuel cost was crippling however, so i decided to look around for another car.

I managed to stumble across this site and decided that the GTI was going to be the car for me. I then spent plenty of time looking for a car. After selling the Range and nearly buying Neil's white ED30 (Which as we all know is going through some major mods now he decided to keep it) I started looking again. I really wanted a CW Ed30 DSG but with nothing around, I ended up getting a very good price on a DBP Ed30 DSG...

This is how it started out

I got the car home and gave it a little clean and fitted the Bra! (excuse the iphone pics)

So having been looking at cars and looking around the forum for a while, reading peoples build threads and getting an idea of what mods are around and reading the reviews section, I put together a list of what I thought would be a sensible and thought out selection of performace mods.

I spent a while speaking to different tuners about their thoughts and getting quotes for parts and work to be done, and the culmination of this was booking the car in with VW Racing.

So as some of you know, the car has been there now for a week and a half, I was meant to pick it up on Friday, but due to some matters out of my control it is still being worked on. I was hoping to have it for inters, but am now hoping to collect it this week!

So the list of things that VW Racing are doing is as follows:

Revo Stage 2+, Revo DSG 2, APR HPFP, VW Racing TBE, Forge Twintake, Forge Twintercooler, Forge DV, Forge hoses, KW V3's, VW Racing front and Rear ARB's, WALK, BSH Catch Can... *scratches head to think of anything i have missed*

So thats kind of where things sit at the moment.

I am currently looking at track wheels and am quite tempted by the anthracite PR1.2's that VWR are currently doing and have put on their mk5. We will see though.

I think i fell into the modding pool at the deep end!

More to come when I finally pick the car up... Watch this space!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 08:58:08 pm by theo »

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: Theo's Edition 30
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 09:05:32 pm »
Its not really a build thread as its close to completion after one post.  :laugh:

Lots of great mods you have chosen their. The car is going to feel mental once you get it back.  :evilgrin:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 09:08:54 pm »
Blimey all or nothing eh?  :congrats:

Big props to ya!  :drinking: :drinking:

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 09:10:36 pm »
WOW! What a day you are going to have when you pick her up, the difference will be astonishing!  :drool: :scared:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 09:21:07 pm »
Lots of mods matey.  What about engine mounts ?   :popcornsoda:
Had: Edition 30, 3 Door Manual, Pearl Black, Cruise Control, IPod Prep, Arm Rest, Auto Lights and Wipers

Offline Gti_Mad

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 09:23:32 pm »
wow u must of had lots of cash burning a hole in your pocket my friend i must say..... how much did all that cost if you dont mind me askin you ??  :happy2:

Had the ED30, but not got the balls.

Mk5 silver 5door Ed30 1707- now sold
Mk6 silver 3door Golf R- current

Offline theo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 09:26:14 pm »
Engine mounts are on the list when there is a bit more available cash along with an LSD. Again, going to do some looking into the various options and decide where to go from there!

Oh I missed one thing off the list above, also adding some VWR Brakes onto the car!  :laugh:

Shame it wasn't done for inters as I would have liked to get some runs in but will have to be patient.

Offline theo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 09:30:30 pm »
wow u must of had lots of cash burning a hole in your pocket my friend i must say..... how much did all that cost if you dont mind me askin you ??  :happy2:

the simple answer is quite a lot. I kept an eye on the for sale section on here and got a few bits when as and when they popped up, and it also pays to shop around to get the other parts, I was fortunate with a GB on the Twintercooler too. Also spent a while shopping around for prices on fitting and labour. All i can say so far is a big thanks to Kate at JKM for helping me get a lot of parts and Matt and Simon at VWR for putting up with my ever increasing list of parts and their helpful service!  :happy2:

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 11:06:43 pm »
wow! awesome theo! thats probably going to be the fastest shiney black car on the forum now!  :laugh:

great stuff dude, i hope you have a nice drive home and please report your findings for us all to drool over!!  :driver:

Black Edition 30 DSG - Gone but not forgotten!

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 11:08:45 pm »
wow! awesome theo! thats probably going to be the fastest shiney black car on the forum now!  :laugh:

great stuff dude, i hope you have a nice drive home and please report your findings for us all to drool over!!  :driver:

I'll let you off with that one Nick as mine isn't shiney anymore!  :laugh: :wink:

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 08:58:58 am »
Over 100bhp gain in one sitting, my kind of man  :happy2: :grin: Be good to hear your thoughts when you get it back mate..  :jumping: :driver:

Offline CarrG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 09:15:16 am »

Very Nice.  :happy2: Thats going to be one massive change.

I enjoyed doing mine in stages tho with a rolling road after each critical mod.
K1 Revo 2+
Ibis RS3
VW California 180 DSG "Candy"!

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 09:47:43 am »

I'll let you off with that one Nick as mine isn't shiney anymore!  :laugh: :wink:

you see what i did there! :innocent:

i liked doing mine instages too CarrG, but if i was to do it all over again i would do it in one hit now i know, would save labour costs too  :happy2:

Black Edition 30 DSG - Gone but not forgotten!

Offline theo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 12:34:44 pm »
Thanks Ben.  :happy2:

@CarrG I was tempted to do the mods in stages so I could get an idea of the gain each provided, but at the same time, I had the option to do it in one hit and the deal offered was too good to pass up  :party: I'm looking forward to feeling the result. I dont know i will notice it so much as I have had the VWR car for the last week and a bit!

Still getting excited tho  :party:

Offline CarrG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 02:25:41 pm »

Nice one and good luck.  :happy2:

Haven't heard much about the VWR TBE. Is it non res?

Look forward to your review.
K1 Revo 2+
Ibis RS3
VW California 180 DSG "Candy"!