Make a donation

Author Topic: VWR panel filter  (Read 9704 times)

Offline Lyons

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
VWR panel filter
« on: June 30, 2010, 04:55:52 pm »
I know theres plenty of topics on these already, but i have a couple of specific questions.

First of all, the performance side of things is something i have no clue about. Im really just looking for something to give the car a slight growl to the engine.

Is the VWR filter louder than OEM?

If not, is there anything else that can do that without getting into the big money of a induction kit or exhaust?

If so, where can i get my hand on one?

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
Re: VWR panel filter
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 04:59:58 pm »
I suspect you will find that with the standard airbox, and forced changing the filter will provide little or no increase of induction sound.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline paulk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 05:15:07 pm »
i had the vwr filter with the carbinio intake and was still silent like oe....if you want growl then you need a intake...

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 05:19:52 pm »
much as i like VWR their filters are crazy money new nowadays, equaly good options for less money

Offline Thor

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 06:44:45 pm »
much as i like VWR their filters are crazy money new nowadays, equaly good options for less money

+1  I'm sure somebody around these parts told me they are made by pipercross, but i've had a drink since then. :laugh:

I know some folks are running green cotton and k&n and are happy with them  :happy2:
Gone but not forgotten - Edition 30 No.2239
                                     Mk6 GTI

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 09:28:37 pm »
yep, to be fair they hiked the price up a lot. it does help a bit but only a little. green cotton or k&n do just about the same, it is a quick solution if you want to keep the airbox/ engine cover standard and increase a little breathability. its never going to be like a proper CAI like the evoms/ITG etc but depends on your plans. i was planning to keep my car standard, then went for map, then panel filter. but you will always as soon as you start want to do more. save up and get a proper induction kit like the ITG, it rulez  :happy2:

Black Edition 30 DSG - Gone but not forgotten!

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 07:49:33 am »
I would suggest keeping the OE filter until such time as you can save up for an full induction kit  :happy2: (ITG or Forge Twintake my recommendations)
nothing that fits the OE airbox/cover is going to give you much (if anything!)

Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline B3n

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
  • Boom!!!!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 10:43:35 am »
Ive got a VWR panel filter fitted to mine and there is no noise difference to a standard filter plus my bum dyno doesnt feel any difference in the car since having it fitted! Then again i do think it is making a difference somewhere.

My Flickr    Instagram: Chappers84

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 11:09:43 am »

I would suggest keeping the OE filter until such time as you can save up for an full induction kit  :happy2: (ITG or Forge Twintake my recommendations)
nothing that fits the OE airbox/cover is going to give you much (if anything!)

.... x 2

The only difference AFAIK is going to be a longer lasting filter than the oem paper one and probably improved dust retention.

Any panel filter in the oem box can't possibly compete with the performance gains from an aftermarket tubular high-flow intake.

The Forge Twintake and ITG intakes are fully reviewed in the Product Reviews section.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 11:16:38 am »
Does any one know if fitting of a non paper panel filter such as the VWR one should be declared to insurance, as its not strictly a modification, just replacement of OEM with a better quality product?

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 02:31:06 pm »

Does any one know if fitting of a non paper panel filter such as the VWR one should be declared to insurance, as its not strictly a modification, just replacement of OEM with a better quality product?

....Tricky question, probably depending on the individual insurer. A panel filter itself is a consumable, so, like tyres, I'd say of no interest to the insurer. But I'm only guessing. PM Tony@Greenlight? Or ask him to post an answer here.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 02:41:55 pm »

....Tricky question, probably depending on the individual insurer. A panel filter itself is a consumable, so, like tyres, I'd say of no interest to the insurer. But I'm only guessing. PM Tony@Greenlight? Or ask him to post an answer here.

It is an odd one, I suppose it might come down to weather it is deemed to affect the performance of the vehicle.... which is probably a little dubious with these filters.  My assumption would be that if the manufacturer say 30% increase in airflow, then you would probably only see 10-15% in real-world conditions.

So my peak airflow was 160.78 g/s 10% would be an extra 16 g/s which is an extra 20hp which I find very hard to believe you would get that with a full in-duction kit let alone a new filter!  :confused:  I suppose my premise could be wrong and the 30% more airflow doesnt equate to a 30% increase in intake air mass......

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 03:15:16 pm »
any non OE change should strictly be declared to the insurers so you are fully covered.  :happy2:
you could argue that its a small, hidden (within airbox) part that gives little or no gain so its low risk and prob not an issue if you dont declare.
However if you have other modifications (declared or otherwise) I would expect an insurer to go over you car checking.
We all assess risk in dfiferent ways though, so take the facts, know the rules and make your own judgements.

the restriction for the OE intake isnt just the filter,so the gains for a filter only swap just arent there.
by all means try it but dont expect anything near 20 bhp  :signLOL:

Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 04:25:23 pm »
Yeah its always best to be sure, and to be honest although I like the idea of increasing the engine air flow, im not worried about performance increase.

And the above calculations were more of a theoretical, and more a skeptical look at a manufacturer claim!  If a panel filter was all that was needed to give a KO3 KO4 stock power then everyone would have done it   :booty:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 04:47:56 pm »

Yeah its always best to be sure, and to be honest although I like the idea of increasing the engine air flow, im not worried about performance increase.

And the above calculations were more of a theoretical, and more a skeptical look at a manufacturer claim!  If a panel filter was all that was needed to give a KO3 KO4 stock power then everyone would have done it   :booty:

....Absolutely right!

I think that an APR Carbonio ram intake attached to the oem box with panel filter barely adds 3 or 4 bhp but they claim more. A remap will help but in my own experience all I felt was a slightly improved throttle response. There may have been an extra 4 or 5 tq but nothing to get excited about.

Improving efficiency is still a beneficial thing to do though.