Make a donation

Author Topic: Drove one of these today.........................  (Read 2015 times)

Saint Steve

Drove one of these today.........................
« on: June 30, 2010, 08:06:12 pm »
Meet up today whilst at work (by total luck) with an old friend that i have dealt with long ago before seeing the light and joining the Volkswagen bandwagen.

I used to be a fan Of Peugeot's, had a couple of 307's and 407's for my sins.

Anyways cut a long story short, Havent seen him for about 6-7 years having moved away and now back in Durley (hampshire.)

His Peugeot dealership now has Mitsubushi under his wing. So low and behold, he has this sat on his driveway...................

its the Evo X 330 SST. Yes Matt, another hi performance company that offer it with a Twin clutch.

Looks an absolute animal 3500 miles on the clock,shame it wasnt the 360 or even the 400 version but never mind, looks like a right angry S.O.B. :party:

We got chatting and told him what i drove bla bla bla, and much to my surprise he said," here's the keys go for a blast and see what you recon "  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:. I cant remember him saying the recon bit as the keys where already out of his hand and in mine!!.

So dumped my Skyvan on his driveway :jumpmove:, and that was me off for a wee jolly to see what this Monster was like and how it compares in Performance to my Eddy.

Took it around the back roads near by, and have to say it was nice in someways but a let down in others.

Im sure Redrobin has driven one of these a while ago, but it left me abit disapointed tbh.

Standing starts were really good, traction was incredible, but power around 50+ was abit breathless in feel.Compared with my Eddy, its just felt abit Gutless in a straight line, but a hell of lot better in cornering.

On the twistie bits, it hung on like a leach, very jumpy and jolty over bumps, very skitish, and not as able to deal with poor road surfaces as the golf generally feels on most surfaces.
The Paddles were in fixed positions, which ment that if you wanted to take a corner at speed, you would have to move your hand from the wheel to upshift, which annoyed the hell outa me!!.The VW design of rotating with the wheels rotation allows without moving your hands from the wheel to remain in full control all of the time.
The Sound system was nothing short of amazing, cant remember its name, but has the sub in the boot, with powerfull speakers to handle the sound.
Seats where gorgeous, full race Recaro's and extremily supportive.

Gearchanges in sport mode, where to be honest, very jolty again and no where near as smooth as the DSG.

We both agree'd its a better car with the Manual as the SST just isnt suited to this type of car.

I can now crossed this car off my list of ones i want to drive. I can only think the 300 version is even worse in performance, and that the 360-400 ones are the ones to go for.................. but at near £50k, thats Nissan GTR territory.

Oh and if you thinking whether its a good size family 4 door that will fit 4 full size adults with lots of legroom, and room for some Big bags in the boot..... then again forget this car.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 08:15:47 pm by Saint Steve »

Offline MAT ED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
Re: Drove one of these today.........................
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 08:19:15 pm »
got a bit of a thing for these  :innocent: mates got the lightweight version in white running 600bhp  :evilgrin: :driver: its bonkers and i would not get the auto box as i dont like it at all  :rolleye:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 08:39:25 pm »
Sorry fella's that does nothing for me, looks like it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down... :signLOL:

Older versions yes...but not that one... :sad1:
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline Gti_Mad

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 08:41:15 pm »
my mates got an fq330 fast as fook  :driver:

Had the ED30, but not got the balls.

Mk5 silver 5door Ed30 1707- now sold
Mk6 silver 3door Golf R- current

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 08:52:34 pm »
^^^^
I drove one of these a while ago. Very much enjoyed its performance when driven hard but the cabin isn't a great place to be when simply cruising. Didn't have any issues with the paddle box. Badly needs a much louder exhaust. Plenty of room in the back and even a reasonable boot but I don't want a saloon car. Looks what it is.. Japanese and not German. But I don't like Nissan GTR's either.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 08:54:23 pm »
I tried one too, to big for me, cheap inside , it went well but just not for me

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 09:03:26 pm »
Had a dabble with a FQ 360 Limited edition a few weeks back.  Similar to below, whole different ball game than the Golf.  Loved it.  But something about it was not for me, then the Cayman popped up.................... 

Ugly as sin, but the technology is fantastic, then engineer side of me spent ages chatting about all the systems it had.  Great fun, but not for me.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 09:10:56 pm »
i drove my mates FQ300 in germany.  iwasnt impressed with the perfOmance tbh, But the steering and handling made the mk5 hassis feel numb.  would i swap, no way.  he traded it in after a year for a focus ST and doesnt regret it

Offline Thor

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 09:11:45 pm »
Am i correct in think thats the one with the thimble for a fuel tank,  :stupid:  IIRC  when Evo magazine ran one on the long term fleet they struggled to get 200 miles from a full tank.

The FQ 360 it replaced though  :party: :party:
Gone but not forgotten - Edition 30 No.2239
                                     Mk6 GTI

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 08:20:19 am »
my mates scooby wr1 only manges about 180 miles to a 60 litre tank

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 08:32:51 am »
my scooby does about 250 miles to a tank or under that if driving harder  :surprised:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 03:16:58 pm »
my mates scooby wr1 only manges about 180 miles to a 60 litre tank
:surprised: I nearly bought one of those instead of the ed30!
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD