Make a donation

Author Topic: Tyre Noise  (Read 8656 times)

RustyGTI

Tyre Noise
« on: July 03, 2010, 07:42:30 pm »
Thought I'd give an update after asking you chaps about tyre noise recently...

Took the GTi to Bathwick Tyres in Trowbridge to ask for some advice as to why my rear tyres were so noisy...after a quick inspection the chap concluded the tyres were not only wearing on the inner rim on both sides, but also that the wear was uneven...and that this is probably what's causing the pulsating droning noise. Actually now he has pointed it out I can actually feel the uneven tread depth on each tyre if I run my hand over the surface.

So, have it booked into VW next Thursday for a geometry check and might need to get two new rear tyres  :confused:, might change the Bridgestones from some Vredestein's once the cause has been found...

Am guessing other people have had this problem? I did phone the VW garage I bought it from and they claim they have had no other GTi's with this problem...hmmm <strokes chin>

PS: Thanks to those who posted a reply last time...

Offline Beddie

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
Re: Tyre Noise
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 08:49:13 pm »
Its a common problem unfortunately...  :sad1:
Affected both my MK5 GTI's and an Audi A3 i had, Dunlop tyres seem to suffer the most..

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Saint Steve

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 09:30:14 pm »
Dunlop loose their shape, I wouldn't adjust cars geometry personally as it's set differently to help the GTi's cornering ability, just put some vreds  tyres on and I've worn a set down with no uneven wear since, and I've worn a set since the dunflops.

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 11:16:00 am »
Had the same problem with mine too.

I had two bad bearings/hubs...  One was completely shot and the other was on the way out.

The only way to tell properly is to get the car on a lift and listen when you spin the wheel, as there is almost no movement.

The transformation in noise is unbelievable.  Both bearings inc fitting £120 supposedly a higher quality than the VW OE parts and cheaper than the £125 plus vat plus fitting each as quoted by VW.

Highly recommend you get them checked.
No Golf anymore. 
Enjoyed the last five years of ownership of Mk5 & 6 GTIs.
Plus an excellent forum for knowledge and new ways to deplete the bank account.
Thank You Everyone.

RustyGTI

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 05:20:13 pm »
Its a common problem unfortunately...  :sad1:
Affected both my MK5 GTI's and an Audi A3 i had, Dunlop tyres seem to suffer the most..

Hmm, I have Bridgestones but maybe they've gone the same way.

Did you manage to cure it by just buying a different brand?

I hope it's not my bearings as it's an Approved used Golf so you'd have thought this would have been checked. Mind you, thinking back I remember on the test drive they made a fair bit of noise...I thought it was due to the tyres being a hard compund, they must have known the tyres were shot back then surely...trouble is they weren't illegal...

Saint Steve

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 06:03:12 pm »
Bridgestones and Dunlops both suffer with unbalanced tyre wear. Your find the assymetric tyres wont suffer with unbalanced wear issue.Ive done 48k in my Ed30, with same wheele bearings, and quiet now as a kitten.

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 07:20:54 pm »
Where are you?

Perhaps a fresh set of ears could diagnose. Or loan someones quiet wheels & Tyres.

Been told replica rims can also be noisy.

BTW mine was also a used approved.
No Golf anymore. 
Enjoyed the last five years of ownership of Mk5 & 6 GTIs.
Plus an excellent forum for knowledge and new ways to deplete the bank account.
Thank You Everyone.

RustyGTI

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 07:21:07 pm »
Great, lets hope the Vreds do the trick!

Will look on the web this week to get some ordered...any recommendations as to where to get them from?

Thanks

Russ

PS: Am in Wiltshire...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 07:23:13 pm by RustyGTI »

Saint Steve

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 07:45:39 pm »
Camskill. Co.uk

I'm in Southampton.hampshire

you will find it hard to locate vreds as there's a general shortage of supply. Camskill have plenty of them and are priced fairly. Quick delivery, order by 11am , receive next day

Offline Mandy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 07:51:43 pm »
Camskill have the Vreds on offer at the mo, £87.95 a corner (225/40/18), currently cheapest price I have seen.

I shall be ordering 4 as my Falkens on the front are  :sick:
Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline Neimad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 10:38:11 pm »
Bridgestones and Dunlops both suffer with unbalanced tyre wear. Your find the assymetric tyres wont suffer with unbalanced wear issue.Ive done 48k in my Ed30, with same wheele bearings, and quiet now as a kitten.

The Goodyear F1 Assymetrics I most recently had on my rear sufferred with the dreaded inner unbalanced wear (or sawtoothing as it's also known), as did the Dunlops that the car started life with and the Goodyear F1 GSD3's that replaced them.  After it destroyed 3 sets of rear tyres I finally decided to have my rear camber adjusted -- I'd rather have evenly worn tyres and lose some cornering speed than keep feeding its habit for eating my tyres.

Saint Steve

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 10:42:25 pm »
Yours must of had an issue. Mine havent since changing to assyms from my dunlops wearing badly previously.

Neil

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 10:05:52 am »
I have a set of new Bridgestone RE050s all round on my GT TDi, the noise from the fronts is terrible. I`m considering changing the fronts for a pair of Vreds and hope it solves the issue. I`ve used Goodyear Assymetrics before with no issues at all but fancy trying something different . . Vreds it may well be  :smiley:

RustyGTI

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 12:36:07 pm »
I have a set of new Bridgestone RE050s all round on my GT TDi, the noise from the fronts is terrible. I`m considering changing the fronts for a pair of Vreds and hope it solves the issue. I`ve used Goodyear Assymetrics before with no issues at all but fancy trying something different . . Vreds it may well be  :smiley:

Yes, it's the Bridgestone RE050s that I have on the rear of my car and I've found them to be noisy - think it may be a combination of the compound and the fact they have worn unevenly...can't wait to get rid of them (although the annoying thing is they are still legal!!)

...I've got the car booked in Thursday to see if the geometry is right, if they don't recommend changing it I'm going to get some new tyres anyway and see how they go...probably Vred's or Conti's...

Neil

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 01:06:29 pm »

...I've got the car booked in Thursday to see if the geometry is right, if they don't recommend changing it I'm going to get some new tyres anyway and see how they go...probably Vred's or Conti's...

I`d considered having the geometry done too, it`s just a matter of finding someone local who knows what they`re doing.

I`ll wait and see how you get on :)