Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk5GolfGTI from Finland! - New wheels on page 2  (Read 3654 times)

Offline Dandan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Mk5GolfGTI from Finland! - New wheels on page 2
« on: July 04, 2010, 01:17:06 pm »
Hi guys and girls!
Im a 23y-old student from Hyvinkää Finland (50km north from Helsinki). Just bought my very own GTI yesterday and looking forward picking her up tomorrow. The car is built 2005 and driven for 67k km. Now my budget has left me around 1k euros to upgrade my new baby. There's just so much you can do to your GTI that Im not sure what I'd like to upgrade first with the 1k left. The car is currently almost as stock as it gets, tho with beige leather seats. Here's few upgrade options I had in mind:

1. New springs to lower the car abit for looks. Was thinking like Eibach Sportline -45mm, Eibach Pro-Kit or H&R -35mm.
Only problem is that Im still not convinced that the rest of the stock suspension can handle the lower springs and not sure which springs to get.

2. 2nd hand RNS-510 would fit the 1k upgrade budget pretty well too.

3. New 19" alloys with tires. But this option would mean I'd have to buy new winter tires for my current 18" detroits. Dont know if this would fit my budget anymore.

Will eventually do some body kit upgrades aswell but that's for next winter or so. Would love to hear your thoughts especially considering the suspension upgrades.

Finally, here she is:

« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 05:30:14 pm by Dandan »
Best things in life are not things.

Offline danishmkvgti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
Re: Mk5GolfGTI from Finland!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 01:50:53 pm »
it's a rare one with the beige interiour  :smiley:
Get yourself a RNS-510 from mortygttdi(darren) from this forum as first mod.
Regarding springs i can highly recommend the H&R springs along with st. dampers, it's an excellent starting point.
Instead of 19", consider some grippy tires, they will make a world of a difference, as i see you have Bridgestones on it, deffo not a good tire in my opinion.
When you have had it for a while and enjoyed the power it has, then find a local  workshop that can chip it for you, then you will feel you have gotten a new car all over again  :happy2:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 02:23:43 pm »
Hi and Welcome along... :driver:

Cheers,

Wayne

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 02:36:00 pm »
hi and welcome..

Offline Dandan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 05:14:43 pm »
Thanks guys!
Have alrdy spoken with Darren and was just curious about the warranty (if he has any) and how we'd handle the payment but havent got a reply from him.

Special thanks to danish for the tips and thx for the welcomes guys!  :drinking:

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 06:56:04 pm »
Thanks guys!
Have alrdy spoken with Darren and was just curious about the warranty (if he has any) and how we'd handle the payment but havent got a reply from him.

Special thanks to danish for the tips and thx for the welcomes guys!  :drinking:

We are all here to help you spend your money on the way down the steep modding slope  :grin:

Cue RR and picture  :wink:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 09:45:49 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  :happy2:

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 09:54:39 pm »
Welcome Matey    :smiley:

I agree with Danish 100%  :happy2:

RNS510 and H&R springs on standard shocks! I personally think the H&Rs work great with the standard shocks and the RNS is just amazing!

Offline Dandan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 05:58:07 am »
Cool, thx Monte for the advices. I think both the H&R springs and the rns will fit my budget. Have not yet heard any horrow stories about stock dampers breaking with lower spings. And everyone who have driven that setup have said it handles much like with 100% stock suspension but just a little firmer. That's exactly what Im looking for.  :smiley:

Would anyone know some cheap online store that sells and possibly delivers suspension parts to Finland? Everythings so expensive here in our cold country :stupid:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 06:46:19 am by Dandan »

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 04:39:55 pm »
Welcome along fella  :pomppomp: :happy2:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 09:53:11 pm »
Welcome Dandan!  :drinking:

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 11:24:27 pm »
Cool, thx Monte for the advices. I think both the H&R springs and the rns will fit my budget. Have not yet heard any horrow stories about stock dampers breaking with lower spings. And everyone who have driven that setup have said it handles much like with 100% stock suspension but just a little firmer. That's exactly what Im looking for.  :smiley:

Would anyone know some cheap online store that sells and possibly delivers suspension parts to Finland? Everythings so expensive here in our cold country :stupid:

This is where I got mine mate (alot cheaper than tha UK too)  :happy2:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390207819675&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Offline Dandan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 06:13:16 am »
Ebay that is then. Im not too big Ebay fan especially when it comes to ordering abroad but that one seems trustworthy  :happy2:

The car truly is a dream come true! The testdrive was impressive but now that I actually own the car it feels that it drives even better  :laugh: The only little thing is that we found some corrosion on the passenger side doorstep. The paint has worn off and there's some rust bubbling thru. I can put some photos here later.

The corrosion problem is being prosessed by the VW-Finland and if the corrosion warranty does not cover it the salesman agreed to pay for painting it. The local dealer here had never seen anything like this. The rust is in such an unusual place that he could not tell if the warranty will cover it or not.

Have anyone in our forum painted their stock bumbers and skirts? I was thinking about asking em to paint those parts to match the rest of the car while they're doing the doorstep.

Thx again for all your warm welcomes!  :drinking:

-Dan

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 12:33:27 pm »
hello and welcome , the interior doesnt half lighten it up  :happy2:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 01:40:28 pm »
Ebay that is then. Im not too big Ebay fan especially when it comes to ordering abroad but that one seems trustworthy  :happy2:

The car truly is a dream come true! The testdrive was impressive but now that I actually own the car it feels that it drives even better  :laugh: The only little thing is that we found some corrosion on the passenger side doorstep. The paint has worn off and there's some rust bubbling thru. I can put some photos here later.

The corrosion problem is being prosessed by the VW-Finland and if the corrosion warranty does not cover it the salesman agreed to pay for painting it. The local dealer here had never seen anything like this. The rust is in such an unusual place that he could not tell if the warranty will cover it or not.

Have anyone in our forum painted their stock bumbers and skirts? I was thinking about asking em to paint those parts to match the rest of the car while they're doing the doorstep.

Thx again for all your warm welcomes!  :drinking:

-Dan
where i work they took in a 57 plate gttdi 4 motion with corrosion on the drivers side door step