Make a donation

Author Topic: OEM LED Lights - Skyline Style!  (Read 91280 times)

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
Re: How to: Wire OEM LED Lights - Skyline Style!
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2010, 04:13:39 pm »
This thread is getting long so it may have been said before :ashamed:

I noticed that the Passat CC has all four tail lights lit up  :confused: wasn't following it long enough to see what came on when they hit the brakes

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #106 on: November 24, 2010, 04:20:38 pm »
An update from me:

We've hit a barrier at the moment but haven't given up yet. We want to use Osram LEDs (as VW do) so colour matches oem and we need a 'board' (whatever that is).

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #107 on: November 24, 2010, 05:30:06 pm »
'Board' as in circuit board RR.   :happy2:
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2010, 11:04:04 am »
Their here............

****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #109 on: December 07, 2010, 11:21:50 am »
^^^^
Do they use Osram LEDs like VW use, Lee?

What's the score now? Simple plug and play? Board involved?

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2010, 11:34:37 am »
Yes they use Osram LEDS.

No its not 'plug and play' because there are a few different ways of connecting these up but the level of difficulty depends on what functions you want the inners to perform.

As you can see from the photos there are 4 trailing leads from each unit. One for 'tail' 'fog' 'brake' and 'ground'.

These can either be spliced into the main loom at each outer tail light at the relevant points or joined together in the boot lid and then spliced at one of the outer tailights.

Or if you want twin reverse lights you can use the existing fog light feed and with some coding get the inners to perform 'tail' 'brake' and 'fog' functions. Then you'll have to link the left reverse light over to the right hand side.

I will provide more details about how I will wire them up with pictures at the weekend so Im afraid more waiting!!

Lee.

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #111 on: December 08, 2010, 11:06:24 am »
Iv just hooked these up to a spare battery I had and I must say I'm impressed  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #112 on: December 08, 2010, 11:13:16 am »

Iv just hooked these up to a spare battery I had and I must say I'm impressed  :happy2:

....Stop teasing us!

Based on your info (big thanks) Chris and I are going to give up on the extra indicator function as it seems to be the more difficult part to get right for MOT etc. We've just got to work out a way of mounting the Osram LEDs.

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #113 on: December 08, 2010, 11:54:31 am »
Good decision..

The dual colour LED's are alot more work as far as the circuit boards go because you need two seperate circuits. I know he used 'flexible' circuit board in these inners as the space is sooooo tight compared to the Jetta and Passat inners which you can get away with 'rigid' circuit boards.

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #114 on: December 12, 2010, 05:10:46 pm »
Hi guys,

Well Iv fitted them. Not had a chance to play around with the coding yet but Iv run out of time today as Im off out but I also changed my can gateway and fitted vw bluetooth and RNS 510.

The colours match perfectly but they look slightly different as the reflectors in the inners are different to the outers and dont reflect in the same pattern. The outer reflectors have alot more 'facets' (sp).

Ill do a better write up when I have more time...

« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 05:20:16 pm by apollo13 »

Offline bodger00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 20
  • A wish called Zonda
« Reply #115 on: December 12, 2010, 05:39:15 pm »
Can't wait to see a video of yours! :evilgrin: Have I already asked how much you paid to get these done?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 05:49:44 pm by bodger00 »

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
Re: OEM LED Lights - Skyline Style!
« Reply #116 on: December 12, 2010, 10:12:30 pm »
Bodger,

They cost me about £150 in total, thats with paying postage to and from Romania.

Unfortunately he's not willing to do anymore of these conversions as the Golf versions are too much work. He will carry on doing the Jetta and Passat inners though. 

All hopes lie with Robins mate. I have given him all the info I have and am sure he'll figure it out soon enough. I'll do a video tomorrow night.  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #117 on: December 12, 2010, 11:08:27 pm »
^^^^
Thanks for being a soldier and leading the way, Lee  :drinking:

All we have to do is sort out making some carriers for the Osram LEDs. Not easy but we ain't giving up just yet!

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #118 on: December 12, 2010, 11:44:39 pm »
No problem  :happy2:

If you need any more info mate just ask, I'll try and help if I can.

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #119 on: December 15, 2010, 06:18:35 pm »
Well I have had a play around with the coding tonight and finally got them how I want them  :happy2:

I have managed to turn off the centre portion of the outer lights but only in their taillight function so they will still illuminate when you use the brakes.I can't see any problems with MOT as I have only added light and they are set to the same intensity as the outer lights through VCDS.The outers only appear brighter because of the extra reflector housing.

Its hard to get a decent photo as their so bright but you get the idea.

So as it stands now this is what it looks like when I have my headlights on.

I will do a video but unless my arms and legs suddenly decided to take on a growth spirt I'll have to wait for the missus to lend a hand.  :drinking:

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 06:28:59 pm by apollo13 »