Make a donation

Author Topic: Blue Bullet DRL - Version 2 (OEM Style)  (Read 26789 times)

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Re: Blue Bullet DRL - Version 2 (OEM Style)
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2010, 11:49:50 am »
Let me know how you get on.

If it works i may do a bit of re-wiring :happy2:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2010, 11:54:28 am »
You just need to take a feed from the headlight positive to switch a relay so when the headlights are on the DRL's go off. Simples  :happy2:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2010, 11:56:22 am »
But mine are wired into the headlight.

Will that make a difference? I'm no electrician and only understand basic principles of electric circuits for firing demolitions :smiley:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2010, 11:58:54 am »
IMHO the best way would be to run an ignition switched 12v to power the DRL's but run this through the swtiched side of the relay, then power the relay from the headlight so when they go on the DRL's turn off.

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2010, 12:06:14 pm »
IMHO the best way would be to run an ignition switched 12v to power the DRL's but run this through the swtiched side of the relay, then power the relay from the headlight so when they go on the DRL's turn off.

Yes, that's what the (very) simple instructions on the box that I am looking at suggest. Red goes to the switched live which can be taken from the black wire behind the headlamps (in Carl's and my case but probably same for Mk5) , the yellow splices into the feed for the side light and will kill the DRLs if the side light is switched on and the black to the battery negative (or, more easily, where is then connected and clamped on to the bodywork by the as Carl has also done).

I think the red/yellow thing can be done from the wiring behind the headlamp without giving any thought to relays but could stand corrected on that one
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:08:09 pm by muckipup »

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2010, 12:09:19 pm »
If it has three wires then it shouldn't require the relay  :happy2:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2010, 12:11:06 pm »
Dave let me know if you find which one will kill the DRL.

Although i think it looks good with both on it would be nice to be able to switch them off it that particular law comes into effect in this country :happy2:

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2010, 12:18:49 pm »
^^ Deffo Carl. It would also look more OEM from a setup point of view, plus I always feel the DRL's on the 2008 > A4's (for example) take away the effect of the Xenons at night as it looks like they're all one light unit. I'm a big fan of the Xenons so using them as a 'sole light' would be the preferred way to go for me personally, if I ran DRLs.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:44:32 pm by rdfcpete »
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2010, 12:22:12 pm »
Yeah, that was my thinking too Carl - I'll probably split the yellow and put a spade connector in there just in case.

I won't be able to fit them tonight but will try and suss the wiring this evening and let you know how I get on.

Pete/Carl/anyone - so the Audis have their DRLs switch off with the sidelights or the main lamps??
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:28:56 pm by muckipup »

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2010, 12:32:52 pm »
I don't know that they all do Dave. Some do but i think some don't. I know they dim when they use Indicators but thats because they are part of the Main light cluster.

My neighbour has an A5 but is away on holiday at the moment. When he gets back next week i'll ask him can i have a look what his do :happy2:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2010, 12:48:17 pm »
On a side note:

Out of curiosity i just had a look on ETKA for the cost of 1 LED Light unit for an R8 V10

Yours for the bargain price of

£4441.50

Thats nearly £9k for a complete set  :surprised: :surprised: :surprised: :surprised:

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2010, 12:55:20 pm »
I don't know that they all do Dave. Some do but i think some don't. I know they dim when they use Indicators but thats because they are part of the Main light cluster.

I think they do differ, but yesterday evening when it was near dusk I saw an A4 with the Xenon headlamps on and DRLs illuminated too. Whether the driver had switched it to do that or whether he has a button to turn the DRLs on manually I dont know, but certainly that particular one did so.

I don't recall seeing any A5's without the DRL strip on at night, so I presume the same applies...
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2010, 01:00:10 pm »
Dave let me know if you find which one will kill the DRL.

Although i think it looks good with both on it would be nice to be able to switch them off it that particular law comes into effect in this country :happy2:

....Although not law, and may never become so (we simply don't know how the cookie will crumble), it seemed to make a big difference to the police who stopped me when I demonstrated my DRL's automatically switching off when other lights were switched on. However, I expect that a big factor will have been the round 'foglight' format and foglight position of my Hella's. Looks more OEM on a Mk5 GTI though. I love the Audi style LED strips though.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2010, 01:11:56 pm »
It's pointless having LED DRL's on at night because they're what's called a passive light and hardly illuminate the road.

Robin I disagree with you there.

My DRL's give quite a lot of light actually and light up the area immediately to the front of the car quite well. Also LED can't be that bad considering the R8 V10 has LED headlights.

But DRL are designed to get you noticed rather than illuminate the road. Which is what i got them for. From what I have been reading lately manufacturers are starting to do more research into LED technology as they can get more light for less power than halogen or HID.

....LED headlights are a different strength and spec from DRL's according to Hella who have done a lot of LED headlight design development for VAG and probably other manufacturers. The Hella DRL's are definitely not to be used as 'active' beam lighting according to their published information. Yes, the LED DRL's give some illumination but at night it's not enough to be legal or, more importantly, reliable without other lights.

DRL's are strictly an additional light to increase being seen by other motorists (hence the term 'passive') - We're agreed about that, Carl.

I gotta dash off to the recording studio now but if I can find the info again I'll post later.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2010, 02:00:34 pm »
I wasn't doubting they aren't good enough to be used as main lighting.

Just saying the ones I have are very bright and do provide a lot of illumination. I wouldn't use them as sole illumination though.

Maybe I mis-interpreted your post to mean that Any LED is no good for sole lighting. That was what I was disagreeing with as I have an LED torch that only uses two CR123 lithium batteries yet gives 500 Lumens of light output from one bulb. Which is more than enough to temporarily blind someone and illuminates the ground upto about 250m away. I often use it as a search tool amongst other things  :wink:

Apologies if I mis understood your post :drinking:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 03:27:54 pm by vRS Carl »