Make a donation

Author Topic: Blue Bullet DRL - Version 2 (OEM Style)  (Read 27335 times)

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
Re: Blue Bullet DRL - Version 2 (OEM Style)
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 07:29:23 pm »
Cheers Carl,

That shouldn't be a problem although I'll hold off to see if Robin enlightens us  :wink:

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 08:54:00 am »
^^^^
Will be visiting my garage after breakfast..

Meanwhile Darren posted this in another thread:

RR I just turned the fogs off in VCDS other than that the DRL's don't work off the cars can bus system so don't need any coding

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 11:36:10 am »
Here we go.. I hope this may be of some help:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 02:08:47 pm »
Cheers Robin

Will try that on the Slingshot and see how it goes  :happy2:

Offline bodger00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 20
  • A wish called Zonda
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 09:36:50 am »

I thought I had but they stayed on even when the lights went off so in the end I just found a switched live in the fuse box and wired them into that :happy2:

Hi Carl,  I think I'll give these DRLs a bash myself  :happy2:. Where did you end up finding the fuse for the switched live (or was it spliced into a wire in the engine bay as with your Version 1 DRLs)?

Dave

Muckipup - Please take a picture when you are done I'm interested to see what these particular DRL's look like on a GTI.
 :happy2:

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 11:05:17 am »

I thought I had but they stayed on even when the lights went off so in the end I just found a switched live in the fuse box and wired them into that :happy2:

Hi Carl,  I think I'll give these DRLs a bash myself  :happy2:. Where did you end up finding the fuse for the switched live (or was it spliced into a wire in the engine bay as with your Version 1 DRLs)?

Dave

Muckipup - Please take a picture when you are done I'm interested to see what these particular DRL's look like on a GTI.
 :happy2:

Sorry mate, I am afraid that I am another one of those Octavia VRS owners like Carl who comes 'tresspassing' on mk5gti forums  :ashamed:

...however, it does mean we can compare notes across the Mk5 platform and share info....like this....which is a recent posting on Briskoda relating to switched live connections in the fusebox (with piccies)  :happy2:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/155963-how-to-remove-top-storage-box-and-location-of-switched-live/

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 11:36:46 am »
This is basically how i connected mine:

On the Battery you will see where the Negative Terminal Clamp runs off and connects to the car body by the suspension strut. There is a 13mm nut there. undo that and using a ring clamp connector on the black wire place it over the bolt and tighten up the nut.

The Live Red wire i ran to the headlight connector block on the passenger side as it was closest to the battery.

Back of the headlight connector looks like this ( the point were the wires go into the connector block )

1 3  5 7
        ( :  :  :  : )
          2 4  6 8

The dots are all a seperate wire. The wire in position No.3 on my vRS is Black in colour and is a switched live. I tested this as i said earlier by disconnecting the Connector from the back of the headlight unit and placing the bare red wire into each connector until i got the lights to light up. I then switched the ignition off and they went out.

Front of the connector looks a bit like this (there are 2 rows of connectors i just couldn't draw it  :grin:)

(= = = =)
   1 3  5 7                           

Once done all i did then was splice into the wire in Position no.3 and then seal it in with heat shrink and electrical tape

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2010, 11:29:20 am »
I had a play around with a multimeter at the weekend. The black wire is also a switched live on mine (no surprise, as we have the same car  :rolleye: ) but I could have sworn it was at position 1 - either way, it's the black wire.

The reason for looking though, was to see if there was an unused wire which was a switched live until the headlamps were on at which point it killed the current to it i.e. DRLs for the daylight as I think was mentioned as standard with other cars....well, I didn't find one!  :laugh:

I wasn't expecting to find anything as the sidelights can be already activated as DRLs through VCDS so no need for another DRL circuit. Simply wiring into black wire as you have done is good enough for me anyway.

EDIT:

Err, I noticed this from the ebay ad for the DRLs...

Notes:-

Yellow wire to connect to the headlight positive side to turn DRL off when main dipped beam lights are truned on like most Audi vehicles if required (not compulsory), red is positive and black ground, easy DIY fitment.

So I'll shut-up now and stop pi$$ing around with multimeters  :ashamed:

How did you get on Carl - did you figure a way to tie them into the dusk sensor so they're literally DRL's and turn themselves off when the Xenons come on?  :smiley:

From above, keep them on auto and splice the yellow in to the main headlamp wire, I guess.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 01:23:24 pm by muckipup »

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2010, 05:18:02 pm »
How did you get on Carl - did you figure a way to tie them into the dusk sensor so they're literally DRL's and turn themselves off when the Xenons come on?  :smiley:

From above, keep them on auto and splice the yellow in to the main headlamp wire, I guess.

Doesn't work, i tried it and the DRL stay on no matter what  :happy2:

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2010, 07:46:12 pm »
^^ RR was going to find out if and how its possible, as he thinks his dealer might be able to inform him  :smiley: I doubt anyone else has managed it as I did a thread a while back and asked on a few of the US forums. They've not managed either from what I found, unless anyone has evidence to the contrary...  :happy2:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2010, 07:57:52 pm »
To be honest i think it's impossible as you only have 2 wires.

If you wire into a power system how would it know to kill the power to the wire branching off to turn the DRL's off.

It would prob need it's own controller to do it that way :happy2:

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2010, 07:59:50 pm »
^ Quite possibly the case Carl.

Obviously the factory ones rely on communication with the dusk sensor in some shape or form, so whether it can be bodged from there on I don't know, but as you say with only 2 wires you're perhaps limited with an aftermarket DRL function.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2010, 09:12:10 pm »

^^ RR was going to find out if and how its possible, as he thinks his dealer might be able to inform him  :smiley: I doubt anyone else has managed it as I did a thread a while back and asked on a few of the US forums. They've not managed either from what I found, unless anyone has evidence to the contrary...  :happy2:

....Oooops! I forgot.. Sorry.. I'll try and give him a call tomorrow and ask. I do remember him asking me if I wanted my DRL's switched manually or to auto-switch on with ignition and off whenever any other light was switched on (including under the oem Auto Lights function).

Didn't the Hella wiring instruction I posted help?

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2010, 09:56:16 pm »
The Hella ones appear to have a connector block on them. Which maybe how it works.

Whereas the ones i have literally have a +ve & -ve wire thats it :smiley:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2010, 10:23:00 pm »
^^^^
In some countries, the legal requirement (either proposed or established) is for DRL's to be switched off whenever other lights are switched on. Hence Hella's design easily allows this. My VW dealer friend was asking me if I wanted to override it as it isn't (so far) a legal requirement in the UK.