Make a donation

Author Topic: Blue Bullet DRL - Version 2 (OEM Style)  (Read 26737 times)

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
Re: Blue Bullet DRL - Version 2 (OEM Style)
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2010, 11:27:55 pm »
^^ Not to worry RR  :smiley:
I think its probably pie in the sky functionality for aftermarket DRLs but the whole concept is interesting. Could the 'foglight as DRL' option in vcds play a part in something like Carls setup or similar?

That's good news however if the dealer mentioned its possible to configure?
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2010, 09:02:05 am »

Could the 'foglight as DRL' option in vcds play a part in something like Carls setup or similar?

That's good news however if the dealer mentioned its possible to configure?

....Is there actually an option in VCDS to use the foglights as DRL's on the Mk5 GTI or Octy?

My dealer didn't only mention the possibilities, he succeeded in doing mine. I'll call him this morning.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2010, 09:31:53 am »
^^^^
I just spoke with him and he might have a read of this thread.

He followed the Hella wiring diagram which I posted earlier and in VCDS he disabled the oem foglights so that their 'no bulb' warnings wouldn't keep appearing.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2010, 09:32:23 am »
Depends on the Octy & the Can Version in the car.

Would imagine it's the same with the GiT :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2010, 09:48:44 am »
^^^^
My Hella's are specifically made for the Mk5 Golf.

I've lost track, Carl: Are you having problems making your lights switch on with ignition but off when other lights are activated?

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2010, 09:56:58 am »
You can wire it in one of two ways

DRL come on and stay on with the Ignition switch on. No matter what other lights you turn on

DRL come on/off with side lights (which kinda defeats the object of them)

As i said due to only having 2 wires i think it's limited on how to get these to function any other way without incorporating a controller somewhere :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2010, 10:24:30 am »

You can wire it in one of two ways

DRL come on and stay on with the Ignition switch on. No matter what other lights you turn on

DRL come on/off with side lights (which kinda defeats the object of them)

As i said due to only having 2 wires i think it's limited on how to get these to function any other way without incorporating a controller somewhere :happy2:

....So you can't wire it a third way so they function like mine? (assuming you wanted to).

It seems I got more wiring possibilities with my +£200 Hella's :evilgrin:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2010, 10:38:26 am »
Well i can't on the Blue Bullet as i dont have Auto lights on that.

I tried wiring in to the Auto Light on the Silver Slingshot but even when the headlights came on the DRL stayed on.

I suppose there might be a way of wiring in to light sensor but as i don't want to feck up the sensor then i'll leave it as it is now.

There is no law in the UK that they have to turn off with other lights etc. The only time they have to do anything is if they are in-built directly into the headlight unit (like the Audi A3,A4 etc)
then they have to dim when indicators come on etc. But as there is a prominent gap between the DRL and indicator on mine then it's fine.

I wouldn't want to wire them into the foglights anyway as that means i have to have the lights on which defeats the object of DRL in my opinion. The reason i got them was to stop driving around with my Headlights on all the time.

So i will suffer with them just switching on/off with the ignition and keep the £165 i saved for a BSH Throttle body pipe in the upcoming group buy  :booty: :booty: :evilgrin:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2010, 11:07:24 am »
^^^^
The only difference having the Auto Lights feature is that it gives an additional 'instruction' to switch off the DRL's when the Auto Lights switch is turned on and any lights are actually activated. So if you go through a tunnel with Auto Lights switched, your headlights will automatically switch on and your DRL's switch off, and then after exiting the tunnel the reverse will automatically happen.

AFAIK there's no DRL legislation in the UK as yet. The UK has been one of the slowest European countries to even take part in international consultations (surprise, surprise!) and when doing so has been generally anti. I think it will be left to the car manufacturers to imitate Audi and follow generic European regulations. DRL's will be almost a marketing feature rather than their full safety advantages be recognised.

It's pointless having LED DRL's on at night because they're what's called a passive light and hardly illuminate the road.

Either way, I think that your DRL's look very OEM and very cool, Carl, as well as having that added safety advantage which I believe so strongly in.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 11:09:48 am by RedRobin »

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2010, 11:11:58 am »
It's pointless having LED DRL's on at night because they're what's called a passive light and hardly illuminate the road.

Robin I disagree with you there.

My DRL's give quite a lot of light actually and light up the area immediately to the front of the car quite well. Also LED can't be that bad considering the R8 V10 has LED headlights.

But DRL are designed to get you noticed rather than illuminate the road. Which is what i got them for. From what I have been reading lately manufacturers are starting to do more research into LED technology as they can get more light for less power than halogen or HID.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 11:14:04 am by vRS Carl »

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2010, 11:24:02 am »

Hi Carl,

You got these ones right?....http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRL-5-LED-SMD-HIGH-POWER-E-MARKED-SKODA-ALL-MODELS-/250622481471?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM

Aren't there three wires - red, black and yellow or do I understand that the yellow had no effect in doing anything for you?

A little bit academic for me as I think I would prefer them on all the time anyway.

Edit - just had mine delivered as I wrote this  :laugh: so I'll see what I can suss out

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2010, 11:26:45 am »
Yep but I since found them cheaper here

DRL CLICKY

The yellow is an earth wire only and has no other function :happy2:

EDIT - if you find a way of getting it to work I'm all ears. I've got another set coming to act as boot lighting  :happy2:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 11:28:27 am by vRS Carl »

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2010, 11:31:58 am »
Yep but I since found them cheaper here

Now you tell me  :signLOL:

The yellow is an earth wire only and has no other function :happy2:

I wonder what they are on about on the ebay ad above then as they said...

Yellow wire to connect to the headlight positive side to turn DRL off when main dipped beam lights are truned on like most Audi vehicles if required (not compulsory), red is positive and black ground, easy DIY fitment.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2010, 11:34:45 am »
Hmm that's interesting. Never used to say that and I'm sure the instructions just said it was a earth  :confused:

That maybe the answer.

Sorry about the price I only found that yesterday when looking for them for the boot :ashamed:

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2010, 11:47:09 am »
No worries, chief - it fades into insignificance with the amount I've pi$$ed away on this car anyway...but as a Scotsman, even a tenner hurts sometimes - I can get a lot of deep-fried mars bars for a tenner  :grin:

Going back 25 years to GSCE physics (which I didn't too particularly well in!  :ashamed:), I am wondering if the yellow simply wires into the side/headlamp so that when they are switched on, there is a equal and opposite voltage to the switched live such that there is no 'potential difference' in the circuit.

I'll give it a try myself just to answer the question on here but will probably still go with your approach  :happy2: