Make a donation

Author Topic: Snow foam lance's  (Read 1566 times)

Offline MitchGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
Snow foam lance's
« on: July 13, 2010, 12:31:41 am »
Been looking at getting one for a while now but spotted the hose pipe ones what are they like? If it worth investing in one? Will water pressure make a big difference? Am i going to loose out by not getting a jet wash and jet was lance?

Mitch

Offline autoperfection.com

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 28
  • autoperfection.com
    • autoperfection shop
    • Email
Re: Snow foam lance's
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 09:34:17 am »
Hi Mitch,

You wouldn't necessarily be missing out, as you can still hand wash the car effectively using the right techniques and products, however, if you can add a pre-wash snow foam stage to your regime it will not only help to clean the car much more thoroughly, but it will also massively cut down the risk of inflicting swirl marks, as you will remove most of the dirt and grime before making contact with the paintwork.

If you don't have a pressure washer the best option to go for would be the Gilmour foam lance.
http://www.autoperfection.com/shop/Gilmour-Foam-Master-II-Foam-Lance.html

This attaches to your hose pipe and you do get a good covering of foam out of it and it works very well, however, it is slightly more watery than it would be if you were using a foam lance with a pressure washer.   The Gilmour is slightly more expensive than the foam lance, but you don't have to invest in a pressure washer, and it means you don't have to get the pressure washer out each time you want to wash the car. 

If you're looking at getting a pressure washer with a foam lance, then a good machine to start out with would be one like the Karcher K2.90M, or the next one up,  the Karcher K2.91MD Plus, which produces a slightly higher water pressure and therefore has a bit more oomph.  You can then of course, attach a Karcher foam lance to either of these.
http://www.autoperfection.com/shop/Karcher-K2.90M-Pressure-Washer.html
http://www.autoperfection.com/shop/Karcher-K2.91MD-Plus-Pressure-Washer.html
http://www.autoperfection.com/shop/Autoperfection-Snow-Foam-Lance-Various-Fitments.html

Hope this helps!

Taryn and Jim  :happy2:

Offline MitchGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 12:34:45 pm »
thats interesting thanks very much for the info, ive spoke to other detailers and they have told me to stay clear of the hose pipe ones? but they just seem alot easyer like you said wont have to whip the jet wash out for washing just one car and buying one obv, im still unsure weather im going to be dissapointed by it!

I need one asap tho as im looking at getting my first machine for polishing and need to keep a good cleaning regime after to try and prolong the finish!

cheers, mitch

Offline autoperfection.com

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 28
  • autoperfection.com
    • autoperfection shop
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 12:49:47 pm »
Hmm - if I'm honest, I can't see why any Detailer would say to keep clear of a Gilmour  :confused:  Of course, a pressure washer and foam lance is going to be the number one choice, but if that's not an option for whatever reason, the Gilmour in my opinion is an excellent alternative.

With regards to whether you'll be disappointed by it or not, I suppose really that all depends on what your expectations are  :smiley: 

Personally, I love using the foam lance and we even clean our conservatory windows with it and whilst I rate the Gilmour very highly, I simply don't think we could do without our pressure washer and foam lance.

Hope that helps!

Taryn  :smiley:

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 05:35:22 pm »
The Gilmour ones just aren't as effective as a pressure washer + snow foam lance. Most people end up buying the latter, hence it's just a waste of money. Better value to just buy a pressure washer and get a lance. Done properly, it really does look like snow on your car!

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Tuffy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 12:42:53 pm »
In the winter months when the car is covered in filth i wouldn't be without my snow foam lance.
Spray on and watch the dirt run off! The more dirt you can remove before washing the better!  :happy2:
Think i would spend the extra if you can and buy one for a preasure washer, but thats just my opinion
Great fun too!  :happy2: