Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk6 Rear View Camera  (Read 3310 times)

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
Mk6 Rear View Camera
« on: July 13, 2010, 12:22:41 pm »
Apologies to admin but I posted this on the Mk6 forum and had no replies - its too slow on that forum!!!

Quick question for anyone with a Mk6 with rear view camera... does the camera only come out when operated?  I have just seen a Mk6 in a showroom and looked for the camera but didn't find it when lifting the VW badge at the back. The salesman said that the car does have one but that you cannot see it just by lifting the VW Badge...  Any ideas?

Offline MAT ED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
Re: Mk6 Rear View Camera
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 12:25:46 pm »
hello mate long time no see

Steve p is your man for the cam as he has fitted a few

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 12:25:54 pm »
Long time no see/hear.  :smiley:

Yes car needs to be in reverse for the camera to pop out.
There is a little plate under the badge at the bottom where it appears from

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 12:57:40 pm »
Thanks for the replies... I'm still in the Middle East (Saudi) and underwent financial puragtory over the past 12 months  :grin: :grin: :grin:    I have been without a car since I got here, but the family will be coming over to stay within a month so I thought I needed to get a car sorted out asap.  

Everyone drives nasty American SUVs and saloons (sorry Sedans!?)  or reliable but boring Jap motors and while some of the 2nd hand cars like Audi RS4s are tempting, they way people abuse cars makes me not want to touch the 2nd hand car market at all.  So I started thinking about buying a GMC Yukon/Acadia, or Ford Explorer... etc... 4x4 fuel hungry, large engined (which is good  :evilgrin:), practical as I have 3 kids now but ultimately a boring and soulless driving experience.  Plus everyone I have spoken to here advises me not to even think about buying VW as they are expensive to maintain and have huge depreciation compared to popular American and Japanese marques.  So I firmly decided to be sensible and practical about it and went straight to the VW showroom yesterday and priced up a Mk6 GTI  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  

Finding the showroom was a comical experience... I had to stop 5 taxi drivers who had never heard of VW - they kept saying BMW?  So I positioned myself next to a VW Caddy van and pointed out the VW badge to the next taxi driver and even then he said... BMW?   :confused:  I told him to drive to the nearest mechanic garage and asked the mechanic who said..yes, yes... BMW and proceeded to give directions in Arabic... so I gave up and went to the Porsche dealer who pointed me in the right direction.  

I can basically get a colour of my choice, full leather (I asked for cloth but it is more expensive because the cars they have are pre-specd and almost fully loaded and cheaper than a custom order?!), rear camera, 18" Monzas, 5 door, sunroof, DSG, RNS 500 or whatever it is - with a full TFT screen like the Sat Nav, Adaptive damping, Xenons... all for 21k pounds.....  I priced it up on VW UK and it comes to about 33k pounds.  Only problem is that is LHD and if I brought it back to the UK, I would be stuck with it... I could sell it in Dubai when I leave as they sell well over there, but that comes with its own logisitical problems as I don't live there.  I did go to the GM showroom after and looked at the GMC Acadia.. its nice enough for a family with a drop-down DVD player and sat-nav and three rows of seats, but I don't fancy driving it tbh.  

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 01:07:06 pm »
sounds like fun illyun!  :grin:

what ever happened to your ed30??

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 01:24:24 pm »
sounds like fun illyun!  :grin:

what ever happened to your ed30??

Still have the Ed30... I was in the UK for 3 weeks until last Friday to put my household items into storage and the Mk1 into storage.  The Ed30 is playing up though... same issue as a couple of months ago when it cut out.  I put Ross-Tech on it and it got a fault code complaining about fuelling again... JKM replaced the High pressure fuel sensor and Lambda sensor which we thought had fixed the issue, but the high pressure fuel sensor keeps failing - I had VW put another one on just so I could drive around for 2 weeks until it cut out again on a sliproad leading to a dual carriageway last week.  Its going back into JKM this week.  I am convinced it has something to do with one of the mods and maybe a combination of something wrong from the factory but I am not sure what.  I will find out later this week or early next week hopefully...   I'm keeping the Ed30 for good though and planning to use it for the occasional trackday and shows when I come back.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 08:24:09 pm »
Hey Illyun!  :happy2:

Let me know if you need that MK1 looked after!  :wink:

What happened to the MK2?

cameluk

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 09:44:07 pm »
Camera has a second flap which opens  when reverse is selected

Held it open with the pen to take the pic :ashamed:

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 12:18:53 am »
Hey Illyun!  :happy2:

Let me know if you need that MK1 looked after!  :wink:

What happened to the MK2?

Lol ... I am sure you would look after the Mk1 and I'd probably see pics of a tuned familiar looking Mk1 tearing down Santa Pod in a years time  :laugh: :laugh:  The Mk1 is in storage along with the Ed30 and I had to sell the Mk2 last year sometime  :sad1:  I will get another Mk2 16v when I return to the UK, but that will probably be in 3-4 years time.   :pomppomp:

By the way.. saw your Ed30 featured in VW Driver... looking good  :driver:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 12:23:42 am by illyun »

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 12:19:21 am »
Camera has a second flap which opens  when reverse is selected

Held it open with the pen to take the pic :ashamed:

Thanks  :happy2:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 12:21:53 am »
Camera is ace mate.  :happy2:

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 12:24:57 am »
Hi Hedge... the camera is a neat bit of equipment.  How's it going anyway?  Still working at Virgin Media?