Make a donation

Author Topic: DSG, what faults to look for ?  (Read 13648 times)

Offline heavyd

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
Re: DSG, what faults to look for ?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2010, 02:21:57 pm »
It isnt really a clunk when it changes, just seems hesitant and takes a little longer from 1st to 2nd, whereas through the rest of the gears, its smooth and quite instantaneous. 40k service due in 7 months, so will wait and see what pops up when it happens.....

Offline Rich

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2010, 02:43:11 pm »
About 3 weeks ago, i leaving my house after abour 3 minutes of driving... i never floor it until the engine is warm i.e 7-10 minutes .... anyway, i was going up this hill very modestly slow at 30mph and suddenly the it came out of gear and the highline started to flash D, P, N, S all thought numbers flash

I stopped... put it in P... turned the car off... then back on and it was fine.... was quiet a scary moment though

Thats the only problem i've had
~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Nasir

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2010, 03:29:40 pm »
Rich get that checked, a faulty batch went through in 2008. Did you not get a letter?

Saint Steve

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2010, 05:45:11 pm »
It isnt really a clunk when it changes, just seems hesitant and takes a little longer from 1st to 2nd, whereas through the rest of the gears, its smooth and quite instantaneous. 40k service due in 7 months, so will wait and see what pops up when it happens.....

Whats it like in manual mode??
I found mine improved after its 40k dsg service. Oil change i think improved it

Offline Rich

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2010, 06:42:53 pm »
Rich get that checked, a faulty batch went through in 2008. Did you not get a letter?

Mines a 58 plate... not got a letter.

Will do though.
~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Offline alastairc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2010, 02:09:33 pm »
Mine is clunky between 1st and 2nd and viceversa  - i had a DSG remap and it is slightly better - unless you are in Sport and forget to go reallly slowly before changing down to 1st!

I treat it as a quirk!
Mk5 GTI DSG, Stage 2 Bluefin, Revo DSG Remap, Miltek Stainless Turbo back with Race cat, Forge Twintercooler, Carbonio Intake, Upgraded Disks and Green Stuff Pads, Konzept Open Fogs, Upgraded OEM Divertor, Leather, SatNav.

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 62
  • "Every great journey starts with a single step.."
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2010, 02:24:02 pm »
I get a bit of a clunk when using paddles changing up from 2nd to 3rd when cold..  Think it's always done it!  Apart from that, faultless!

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2010, 02:52:20 pm »

As Saint Steve says, DSG oil service will dramatically improve this, mine was exactly like yours with a lull between 1st and 2nd, since service its 80-90% better.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2010, 02:58:48 pm »
^^^^ Ross Tech Wiki tells all  :innocent:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/6-Speed_Direct_Shift_Gearbox_(DSG/02E)#Basic_Setting

Steve, fancy having a go at this, with each module where it says ON/OFF/Next what does that mean, I would assume you turn the basic settings on then off then click next is this correct?

Or does every setting need to be turned on.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

Offline pazz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2010, 08:57:04 pm »
Only thing i've noticed with my DSG is it's occasionally a little lazy to come out of first gear when I first start the car up to drive off, oh and sometimes when approaching a roundabout or stopping at lights i'll hear a 'clunk' just before I come to a stop - that's apparantly the clutch dis-engaging at the last minute so as not to stall - apparantly...

I also experience the laziness to de-select 1st on moving off from cold. The box just seems to hold 1st gear for a little longer.

Other gripes I have is the slight delay in changing from reverse to first. But this is to be expected when having what is at the end of the day an automatic.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2010, 10:12:56 pm »
Just done the DSG reset that SteveP suggested, it was very easy if you have basic experience of VCDS then will be simple, biggest issue is finding the right road conditions for the default drive.  But first impressions it has made a big difference to pick up shift smoothness and rev control on down shifts which always needed assistance with the throttle peddle.

So well worth doing.  :happy2:

Cheers for the info Steve  :notworthy:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2010, 10:29:19 am »
That looks a right PITA to complete.

When it says you need to have "ATF Temperature 30...100 °C (86...210 °F), see Measuring Blocks, Group 019."

What exactly is this?

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2010, 10:38:56 am »
I am guessing they are the measuring blocks that tell you the temp of the auto transmission fluid.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2010, 10:41:50 am »
Ahh ok that makes sense  :happy2:

So i need to go and drive the car first before doing it?

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2010, 10:44:06 am »
Correct Hedge, block 19 measures the Automatic transmission fluid temperature and clutch oil temperature.

it sounds a lot harder than it actually is, although you will need to take a little drive to get your ATF fluid up to temperature, as even idling mine stayed at 26 degress.

After that its only a question of sitting with the engine running foot on brake, and typing in the group number clicking go and then an on/off/next button.

I will admit its a little weird as the gearbox is doing stuff and occasionally moved the car. And the drive afterwards is fairly easy, and if you cant complete all the items it will continue in normal driving afterwards.