Make a donation

Author Topic: Glovebox Light  (Read 2388 times)

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
Glovebox Light
« on: July 07, 2010, 10:15:19 pm »
While trying to track down a rattle at the back of the glovebox somewhere, I noticed that the glovebox light doesn't seem to go off when its closed.  I had the panel off the side where you can see the light and shutting it didn't switch it off.  I found the switch at the back of the glovebox apperature and that works fine - its just the back of the glovebox doesn't seem to make contact with it to push it to off. 

Has anyone else noticed this?  Perhaps this rattle and the light staying on are related ... perhaps there is supposed to be a piece of plastic or something stuck to the back of the box to make contact with the switch.  Could anyone shed any light on the matter?
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Neil

Re: Glovebox Light
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 09:24:20 am »
Just yesterday I was cleaning out the glovebox, it felt rather warm in there when I opened it, kinda like the light had been on a good while. So I messed about trying to turn out the light and couldn`t. Perhaps I was messing with the wrong switch/bit, maybe it`s broken. I`ll see what peeps have to say on the subject  :smiley:

Neil

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 02:14:48 pm »
I`ve played about with the glovebox switch and mine seems to be working just fine.

That doesn`t help you though UB7RM  :confused:  :smiley:

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 10:06:49 pm »
The actual switch works perfectly, the slightest touch puts the light off ... its just its not making contact with the back of the glovebox when its closed.

Something now appears to be stuck in the recirculting fan and makes a hell of a racket when I put it into reverse.  Damn thing.  :sad1:
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 11:43:35 am »
Bit of an update if this helps others, I took the glovebox out yesterday trying to track down this fecking rattle thats driving me insane.  I discovered that the back of the glovebox has bowed in slightly meaning it wasn't making contact with the switch, my ghetto fix was to superglue a thick bit of card to the back of the glovebox door so that it now makes contact with the switch plunger.  Works a treat now  :happy2:  I know the ccm will shut the light off after a few hours but this must have been draining the battery to some extent every time the car was switched off - I'd recommend others to check as there was nothing especially amiss - I think its an inherent design issue.

Also cured the noise from the recirc fan, there was a strip of tape which had been wrapped around the wiring loom that had been sucked into the recirc flap and was creating a turbulence noise like when something is partially blocking a hoover  :happy2:

But couldn't find anything else loose thats causing this rattle - it sound like something clanking about in a fairly big hollow space  :fighting: :fighting:

Going to have another go today and take out the ccm to see if there is anything further back.  :chicken:
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant