Make a donation

Author Topic: retrofit paddle shift  (Read 11998 times)

Offline aidogti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
retrofit paddle shift
« on: July 18, 2010, 01:02:10 pm »
hi lads i have a 2005 gti with dsg and was wondering what is needed to fit the paddle shift.... i dont have MFSW

do i need the hidhline computer?

do i need MFSW?

thanks lads...

Offline keano

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
Re: retrofit paddle shift
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 01:43:29 pm »
not too sure, but in my opinion they are a waste of time lol.

impresses the friends though  :popcornsoda:

Offline S2 Ant

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 02:01:30 pm »
I tend to use mine all the time, much easier driving with both hands on the wheel and shifting than messing around with pushing the stick back and forth.
Altho i tend to just be in auto a lot of the time to be fair
Ant

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 04:01:34 pm »
You need a new wheel, paddles and controller i believe. NC 35 on here has just bought my old wheel and did this mod to his.  :happy2:

Are you mad.  :stupid:  The driving experience is a whole lot better with paddles when pushing on.  :driver:

Offline ILoveTuna

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 07:30:36 pm »
You need a new wheel, paddles and controller i believe. NC 35 on here has just bought my old wheel and did this mod to his.  :happy2:

impresses the friends though  :popcornsoda:

Are you mad.  :stupid:  The driving experience is a whole lot better with paddles when pushing on.  :driver:

I agree could not live without my paddles,  dropping it down a couple when approaching a roundabout is great fun! Dont think i would like my GTI half as much without them...  :happy2:

Offline gtlee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 07:34:31 pm »
You need a new wheel, paddles and controller i believe. NC 35 on here has just bought my old wheel and did this mod to his.  :happy2:

Are you mad.  :stupid:  The driving experience is a whole lot better with paddles when pushing on.  :driver:

+1 cos I've retrofitted MFSW with paddles to mine!
Golf V 5DR DSG GT Sport,,Xenons,Full leather,18'Charlestons,Lux pack,storage pack,folding mirrors,front armrest, retrofited--mk5 gti  grilles,fog lamps grilles,GTi rear bumper,coloured coded sideskirts, VIM RNS-510 C,MK6 MFSW with paddles,GTi DSG gear lever,Cruise control,Highline.Rain sensor with window auto closure,TPMS.7P6 Bluetooth.

Mods to come: RVC, and.................

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 07:37:00 pm »
If it's any use I have a brand new steering wheel control unit part number 1P0959542, £76.84 + vat from the stealer. Open to offers above £40. However I don't know for sure what is the correct part number you need. Check first

I'd hate for you to get a bit you don't need.
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline aidogti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 08:22:24 pm »
ok louCyffer, ill find out the part number

so how mch would the MFSW cost??

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 09:31:21 pm »
Hi mate, further to loucyfers offer of a wheel controller, I have an R36 wheel that has paddle shifters, let me know if your interested.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline aidogti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 09:51:35 pm »
Richie83 what price you looking for r36 wheel.. Pm me

thanks

aidan

Offline aidogti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 08:49:52 am »
lads to i need the full MFD in the cluster to complete the paddle shift????

cause i dont have full MFD in my car...

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 09:04:25 am »
you dont need the full MFD/highline to have the paddles I only have the midline computer and my paddles were original fit.  PM on its way about the wheel.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 07:04:15 pm »
Yep just done mine.

If you need any help let me know
No Golf anymore. 
Enjoyed the last five years of ownership of Mk5 & 6 GTIs.
Plus an excellent forum for knowledge and new ways to deplete the bank account.
Thank You Everyone.

Offline rachel

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 11:25:18 am »
Hi NC35!

I've just bought a 55 plate GT TDI with DSG, and am really interested in retro fitting the MFSW with Paddle Shifters!

The Setup i currently have is: Standard Steering Wheel + Mid-Line Display on the clocks.

I've just done a bit of digging around on the interent for possible parts to help along the way, and have found a steering wheel in germany which i was wondering if this fits the bill?

steering wheel:
[ebay]http://cgi.ebay.de/Leder-Lenkrad-Lederlenkrad-DSG-VW-Passat-Jetta-Golf-5-/230523723605?pt=Autoteile_Zubehör&hash=item35ac48df55#ht_677wt_907[/ebay]

I'm now wondering what other bits i need to complete the job, so as you've done it to yours, is there any chance you could offer some advice + help as to what i need to do this conversation?

cheers for any help!

Rachel  
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 12:05:17 pm by Top Cat »

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 04:31:53 pm »
ok louCyffer, ill find out the part number

so how mch would the MFSW cost??

Buttons from the dealer are £70 per side :surprised:. They often come up on german eBay, however.
Hi NC35!

I've just bought a 55 plate GT TDI with DSG, and am really interested in retro fitting the MFSW with Paddle Shifters!

The Setup i currently have is: Standard Steering Wheel + Mid-Line Display on the clocks.

I've just done a bit of digging around on the interent for possible parts to help along the way, and have found a steering wheel in germany which i was wondering if this fits the bill?

steering wheel:
[ebay]http://cgi.ebay.de/Leder-Lenkrad-Lederlenkrad-DSG-VW-Passat-Jetta-Golf-5-/230523723605?pt=Autoteile_Zubehör&hash=item35ac48df55#ht_677wt_907[/ebay]

I'm now wondering what other bits i need to complete the job, so as you've done it to yours, is there any chance you could offer some advice + help as to what i need to do this conversation?

cheers for any help!

Rachel 

Rachel, there are a couple of threads on here documenting such retro fits. I think that Darren (MortyGTTDi) is a guru of same. With a bit of homework it should be straightforward. But in earlier models there is a compatability issue with streeing controllers & slip rings. So before you take the plunge on the Bay, read round as many of these threads as you can, or you may end up with a wheel that won't work properly.
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)