Make a donation

Author Topic: Paint thickness  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Tuffy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Paint thickness
« on: July 19, 2010, 04:44:13 pm »
Hi all
Runing my car into local vw dealers tomorrow for them to look at some rust coming through on the off side drivers wing, just want to be armed with some info when they try to hit me with the wing has been painted before so warranty is void. wondered if anyone knows what the reading on a ptg meter woud be on a golf wing from the factory?

Offline S2 Ant

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 21
Re: Paint thickness
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 05:39:55 pm »
Not sure what it would be but if you check around the car then similar parts should be comparitively similar. ie the wings similar etc. Normally if something has been painted the quality will show between panels anyway but also if you check thickness, its likely to be a lot thicker than the factory paint job
Ant

Offline Tuffy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 06:49:50 pm »
Not sure what it would be but if you check around the car then similar parts should be comparitively similar. ie the wings similar etc. Normally if something has been painted the quality will show between panels anyway but also if you check thickness, its likely to be a lot thicker than the factory paint job

I haven't actually got a ptg reader so what would the average reading be?

Offline autoperfection.com

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 28
  • autoperfection.com
    • autoperfection shop
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 11:58:07 am »
Hi Tuffy,

Hopefully we're not too late! 

It's difficult to say for sure, but you should be looking at around 115 on average, but having said that, it can vary massively, so just use that as a very rough guide.

Hope this helps

Jim  :happy2:

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 01:07:42 pm »
Hi Tuffy,

Hopefully we're not too late! 

It's difficult to say for sure, but you should be looking at around 115 on average, but having said that, it can vary massively, so just use that as a very rough guide.

Hope this helps

Jim  :happy2:

x2

its not odd to see readings like 145 either. and down to 105. Just as long as its in that kind of range on a golf.

If your looking at readings of 180- and above id say thats its likely the car has had a re-paint

Offline Tuffy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 08:07:02 pm »
Thanks fellas. the readings were around 120 so indicated an original paint job, still dont think they will carry the work out thou .
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 08:50:54 pm by Tuffy »

Offline Frodo-anni

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 08:11:14 pm »
When i had my mk4 inspected the readings ranged from 140-156, which was deemed to be original.

All the best, dont be but off straight away, arm yourself with as much info as possible.
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391