Make a donation

Author Topic: Finally got a chance to finish the mapping on my car... dyno results  (Read 4637 times)

Offline gazbutS3

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
Re: Finally got a chance to finish the mapping on my car... dyno results
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 07:53:13 pm »
gaz, post your graph up in that thread, and then if PDT can change the scales on his graph we could make a good comparison between the two.  iirc yours was similar at the last RR day??

will do after dinner pal

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 07:55:21 pm »
gaz, post your graph up in that thread, and then if PDT can change the scales on his graph we could make a good comparison between the two.  iirc yours was similar at the last RR day??

will do after dinner pal

dinner at this time of day.  never, you must be about o have tea, because dinnertime is at midday :grin: :laugh:

ill just get my coat  :sad1:

Sy :grin: :happy2:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 07:57:08 pm by vRSy »

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 08:23:41 pm »
Awesome results mate. Looking forward to seeing what mine will make on DD rollers on Sat (same mods, just without the the cooler and standard Dbilas). Although it aint going to be as high as that even though I have the same mods, just without the the cooler and standard Dbilas (not hybrid).
I will however be running early in the morning so that should help as the temps on sat according to the weather should only top 18oC. Just unsure what settings to run, as I don't have VAGCOM  :sad1:
Any ideas?

As for the temps on the day, it wont really affect things as the Dyno (all dyno dynamics will have) has a weather station so it will forward/back calibrate the results so the weather on the day wont affect the final result.

i.e if its an extremely hot day the dyno will add to the compensation figure that determines the losses due to increased temps. On a cold day the dyno will do the opposite and take power off the actual figure. This way if you have a car that you get on the dyno quite often (we get customers that ask us to map their car at the beginning and the end of a season which is ofen a difference of temps of around 30 degrees ambient temps) it will still make the same power regardless of the weather conditions. this way it removes the variables and allows you to concentrate on  facts as you are mapping / testing

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 08:25:56 pm »
it makes a different when runnin the std cooler though, mine suffers heatsoak on the dyno in this weather, but is ok if i do it when its cold

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 08:30:35 pm »
it makes a different when runnin the std cooler though, mine suffers heatsoak on the dyno in this weather, but is ok if i do it when its cold

That's more where my problem may lie Sy. But very interesting about the DD rollers and the weather variences, clever stuff that. :wink:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 07:52:03 am by Vtec Abuser »

Offline 94Luke

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 09:17:36 pm »
Awesome results mate. Looking forward to seeing what mine will make on DD rollers on Sat (same mods, just without the the cooler and standard Dbilas). Although it aint going to be as high as that even though I have the same mods, just without the the cooler and standard Dbilas (not hybrid).
I will however be running early in the morning so that should help as the temps on sat according to the weather should only top 18oC. Just unsure what settings to run, as I don't have VAGCOM  :sad1:
Any ideas?

As for the temps on the day, it wont really affect things as the Dyno (all dyno dynamics will have) has a weather station so it will forward/back calibrate the results so the weather on the day wont affect the final result.

i.e if its an extremely hot day the dyno will add to the compensation figure that determines the losses due to increased temps. On a cold day the dyno will do the opposite and take power off the actual figure. This way if you have a car that you get on the dyno quite often (we get customers that ask us to map their car at the beginning and the end of a season which is ofen a difference of temps of around 30 degrees ambient temps) it will still make the same power regardless of the weather conditions. this way it removes the variables and allows you to concentrate on  facts as you are mapping / testing

That's a pretty nifty feature, not heard about that one before. So what temperature is it calibrated to where it doesn't compensate at all?

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 10:47:52 pm »
its not just temperature that you take into account, its also humidity, barometric pressure, intake air temperature etc..... so determining the absolute temperature that they zero calibrate at isnt as simple as it seems.

If your car starts to heatsoak on the dyno then the dyno needs better cooling, ideally a dyno run should match as closely as possible to a road run in both intake temps and pull time, but most dont. We spenat ages testing different fans and even though we now have an OK setup it still isnt ideal, so I have now invested in 2 more fans that are capable of this:

I predict a few number plates going on a journey  :signLOL:

Offline 94Luke

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2010, 02:45:21 pm »
Haha that looks like a very powerful fan. Do they do fans that mimic airspeed as the speed of the wheels increases? Like the wheels doing 70mph the fan is blowing 70mph? Always thought that would the most accurate way of seeing what power the car is making as it is moving along.