Make a donation

Author Topic: Origin B2  (Read 3794 times)

Offline Golfgirl

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 23
Origin B2
« on: February 03, 2009, 06:57:17 pm »
Thought I'd put this in the Sat Nav section as it seemed the most appropriate but feel free to move if you like.....

Has anybody got an Origin B2 in their Mk 5?  I've been having real trouble with mine since I fitted it and was wondering if it was just me?

I have the exact same set-up as I had in my Mk 4 - the cradle & unit by the drivers A-pillar, the laser detector on the top right corner of the windscreen and the GPS on the dash by the tax disc holder.

It hardly ever picks up any satellites now and when it does it keeps losing them and then not finding them again.  It doesn't even seem to be trying to find them.  On the odd occasion it has been working, my speed still shows as 0 mph.  Is the windscreen in the Mk 5 tinted or anything that could affect it's operation?  I had no problems with it at all when it was in my Mk 4 so I have a feeling it may be to do with the car? 

FOR SALE!

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Origin B2
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 07:02:21 pm »

The Mk5 windscreen doesn't interfere like some brands do, with Sat communications. I've run Road Angels and PogoAlert and Pioneer and Alpine systems in my 06-build GTI without any probs.

HTH

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 07:34:11 pm »
^^^ As Robin says there is nothing about the Mk5's windscreen that should cause you any issues with GPS reception. I have used two different Road Angels with no issues in my ED30.

It's the likes of the heat reflecting (like a lot of the French cars have) or the Ford quick clear heated that will cause an issue.

Offline Golfgirl

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 09:44:16 pm »
I'll move the GPS antenna then to see if that's the problem.  Will post back here with my results :happy2:

FOR SALE!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 10:00:10 pm »

I don't know if this info will help, but my 'antennae' are all well forward on the dashboard near the base of the windscreen - The idea being to recieve more directly from the skies above.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Golfgirl

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 11:23:13 pm »
I think that could be the problem TBH....the angle of the Mk 5 dash is probably different to the Mk 4 so I'll try repositioning it.

FOR SALE!

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 11:15:37 pm »
Claire,

I traded my Origin B2 in for a Pogo Drive, I occasionally get the 0 mph problem, but switching off/on seem to cure it.

Sorry can't really help with the B2, mine worked fine the Veccy by the way, so no idea why your's is causing problems. Have you dropped it ?..ahem.... :surprised:
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline Golfgirl

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 07:22:19 pm »
Claire,

I traded my Origin B2 in for a Pogo Drive, I occasionally get the 0 mph problem, but switching off/on seem to cure it.

Sorry can't really help with the B2, mine worked fine the Veccy by the way, so no idea why your's is causing problems. Have you dropped it ?..ahem.... :surprised:

I thought about trading it in too but decided against it in the end.  It's not been dropped as far as I can remember - was in it's box for a few months after I took it out of the Mk 4 before putting it in the Mk 5.

FOR SALE!