Make a donation

Author Topic: £7000 Detail  (Read 2633 times)

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
£7000 Detail
« on: July 21, 2010, 09:38:40 am »

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: £7000 Detail
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 01:10:35 pm »
I was going to post about this, can all the extra £££ over something that JPC can do really be worth it / or that noticeable. I mean the results from JPCs and other before and afters are so good that you can't really see any way to improve on them???
GTI Edition 30 No. 907, 3 door, Black. (Now Sold)

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 01:18:38 pm »
Ive commented on this on another thread.

Its not as though he has these jobs piled up every month. I would be surprised if he has done more than one.

Thing is, Its a headline attention grabber. "£7000"  it gets people talking (like we are now)

Think about this.....

Ferrari F40.  mint one = WORTH A FORTUNE!!

Full Concourse Restoration is going to take 4 weeks. I mean every nut and bolt gleaming. The carbon fibre panels machine polished, the full WHAMMY plus an £8000 wax (which i have too :pomppomp: )

I am going to want an hourly rate of about £45 to work on a car like that. Insurance liabilities have to be considered. Its irreplaceable. Please bear in mind, for servicing at BMW you will be paying about £120 main dealer. Ive just come back from the dentist and he charges what works out about £200/hr.

You only want to be doing a 40 hour week with a Job like a ferrari F40, you need all the concentration you have, so no silly hours.

£45 x 40 hour week - £1800

4 weeks - £7200.

So the owner of a priceless car, pays somebody £7200 For a MONTHS worth of work. In return he gets a car back that is absolutely astonishing. And it probably puts his F40 near the top of the "the F40" list (mileage dependant) for only £7200?

Thats money well spent!!

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 01:30:46 pm »
I undertand how the costs add up to £7k but would the results be that different from the ones that you've been posting on here which cost a fraction of that price?
GTI Edition 30 No. 907, 3 door, Black. (Now Sold)

Offline Rich

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 01:52:51 pm »
Whether he actually spends that amount of time.. who knows... he might only spend 3/4 of those hours?
~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 02:22:16 pm »
I undertand how the costs add up to £7k but would the results be that different from the ones that you've been posting on here which cost a fraction of that price?

The results wont be any better no. Without sounding like im blowing my own trumpet, im pretty sure in saying i know how to the achieve the best.

If i was doing the same work, Im sure the results would be the same.

The difference between the work I post, and the work being mentioned in the news report is things like under body restoration etc.

The majority of work I do is to suit a budget, which means i cant spend 150 hours on a car!  :happy2:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 02:23:07 pm »
Whether he actually spends that amount of time.. who knows... he might only spend 3/4 of those hours?

He is a very good detailer Rich, don't misinterpret what im saying.

Im sure he has the same drive and passion for it as i have so spending 4 weeks on a car would be awesome!!

Offline 94Luke

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 03:19:05 pm »
I'm with JPC on this one. Let's look at it like this....

There are a lot of cars that don't even cost this much, but the type of people who will pay for this service will have something like a 700,000 Koenigsegg.

So lets say you have a 40,000 BMW. You pay 400 for a detail, that's 1% of the car's value.

Now lets say you have a 700,000 Koenigsegg (which I will one day, mark my words  :innocent:), you spend 7000 on a detail, that's 1% of the car's value.

Maybe not so silly after all.

Oh, and with the publicity he's getting I'm sure he'll be get tonnes of business as I've seen this story everywhere!

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 03:28:43 pm »
But the process of detailing he has described and the things he uses are just what any detailer worth their salt would use and I can't see how it would take 1 month to achieve the best results - I mean even a whole week would be sufficient  :confused:  I reckon what differentiates him from most other detailers is that he is bloody good at marketing too - a bit like Paul Dalton.

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 07:36:46 pm »
The only thing separating everyone on Sunday and Paul dalton was this kind of coverage.

Then with a news story, elite detailer was put in the same bracket.

Elite has pretty much done what the same as Paul did 3 years ago. It takes a fair bit to get a story like that. Like knowing somebody or prices aimed to shock.

Fair does to him.

To anyone thinking it's impossible to spend a month on a car.... Have you seen a f40 engine bay? I could spend a week on that

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 12:59:06 pm »
The only thing separating everyone on Sunday and Paul dalton was this kind of coverage.

Then with a news story, elite detailer was put in the same bracket.

Elite has pretty much done what the same as Paul did 3 years ago. It takes a fair bit to get a story like that. Like knowing somebody or prices aimed to shock.

Fair does to him.

True, I can't see how he has any special skills other established but less prominent detailers don't, but as you say, if he can achieve that publicity, good for him.

To anyone thinking it's impossible to spend a month on a car.... Have you seen a f40 engine bay? I could spend a week on that

OK, I take that back.. I'd probably spend a week just staring and drooling over a car like that  :drool: :drool:   :grin: :grin:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 10:02:22 am »
I'd have been more impressed if he used this Wax

Ultimate Wax

A bit steep at £40,000 :surprised: :surprised: :surprised: :surprised: