Make a donation

Author Topic: 3rd Service - Dealer has used Magnatec 5w40...  (Read 11899 times)

Offline mafri

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
3rd Service - Dealer has used Magnatec 5w40...
« on: July 23, 2010, 08:09:33 pm »
Today I had my 3rd annual service done - a good experience at the dealer, especially as they've agreed to replace one of my Monza 2s under warranty, which had a tiny bit of white worm around the wheel nuts...

However, now that I'm home I noticed a litre bottle of Magnatec Professional 5w40 in the door pocket, and sure enough the invoice says they've used Magnatec for the service. The back of the bottle says it meets VW 502 00 and VW 505 00, but to be honest I haven't got a clue what that means. I've always used Edge 5w30 before...

I'd like to presume that the dealers know what they are doing - but is 5w40 ok for my car?

I'm particularly keen to get it right as it's getting Revo'd on Tuesday!

Offline Bogwoppit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 7
Re: 3rd Service - Dealer has used Magnatec 5w40...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 08:36:18 pm »
Assuming you drive a GTi? If so, it's not the correct oil for your car. The oil needs to meet VW spec 504.00, go back and should loudly at them.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 09:58:25 pm by Bogwoppit »

Offline 94Luke

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 08:39:25 pm »
Assuming you drive a GTi? Is so, it's not the correct oil for your car. The oil needs to meet VW spec 504.00, go back and should loudly at them.

Saint Steve

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 08:47:17 pm »
Today I had my 3rd annual service done - a good experience at the dealer, especially as they've agreed to replace one of my Monza 2s under warranty, which had a tiny bit of white worm around the wheel nuts...

However, now that I'm home I noticed a litre bottle of Magnatec Professional 5w40 in the door pocket, and sure enough the invoice says they've used Magnatec for the service. The back of the bottle says it meets VW 502 00 and VW 505 00, but to be honest I haven't got a clue what that means. I've always used Edge 5w30 before...

I'd like to presume that the dealers know what they are doing - but is 5w40 ok for my car?

I'm particularly keen to get it right as it's getting Revo'd on Tuesday!

Oh no!!! wrong oil , as said should be longlife 504.00 in there. Was it Breeze in Shirley??

Offline Sparky Craig

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
  • Looking To Sell my R32 :(
    • My R32 Page
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 08:53:37 pm »
You mean Peter Cooper in Shirley Steve.... :)  :signLOL:

Saint Steve

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 08:59:29 pm »
You mean Peter Cooper in Shirley Steve.... :)  :signLOL:

Spread the the bubonic plague dont they  :signLOL:

Offline mafri

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 09:20:30 pm »
Everybody's right!

I bought my GTI new from Breeze in Shirley (they're the ones who put on a uni-directional tyre pointing at the back of the car......), and decided to move to Peter Cooper in Hedge End......

They've been pretty good up until now, in fairness - how much of a problem is the 'wrong' oil? Is there something I can point to which will demonstrate why they've got it wrong?

Is the situation bad enough that I shouldn't be re-mapping (at JKM!) on Tuesday?

Saint Steve

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 09:24:32 pm »
Im suprised that Hedge end Coopers have made this cock up, unless the cars history on their database was still on time and distance for your car and not long life regime?. Perhaps a call in the morning or pop round as the Workshops are open till 12 noon AFAIK.

Never had issues with oils before, but i did make them change the cars History on the database as longlife instead of T&D which it was when i checked.

Offline mafri

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 10:55:46 pm »
Looking at the service book, they've ticked 'no' to long life oil - despite the last service (carried out by them) being a 'yes'!

Would the oil be right if it was on time and distance...?

Aren't all oil changes supposed to be long life these days?

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 10:58:35 pm »
If I'm not mistaked VW has mandated that LL oil be used regardless of service regime.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Tarmac_Terrorist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 11:08:13 pm »
That's right - VW issued a technicl bulletin approx Feb 2009 IIRC stating that even cars on Time & Distance schedule should be filled with Longlife oil.

Martins of Basingstoke incorrectly charged me extra for Longlife in May 2009. I never bothered to challenge them though.

Winchester Motor Company (VW service centre) do actually use LL oil on T & D servicing as per the bulletin - these were the only dealers to to do this when I inquired around at my last service earlier this year.

I'm sure somone posted up the bulletin number on here about a year ago

Offline Russ_leeds

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 11:12:48 pm »
so the t&d schedule is no good then? dunno wat im on but ill check 2morro
Black 2007 gti, 18' monza 2, sat-nav, highline, i-pod dock, armrest, 35mm H&R springs, WALK, BCS tbe, autotech front and rear arbs, ITG maxogen, NQSBBK... and more to come

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 07:38:30 am »
I'm on time and distance servicing and they've always, as I understand is correct, used 5W 30.

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 08:12:48 am »
That's right - VW issued a technicl bulletin approx Feb 2009 IIRC stating that even cars on Time & Distance schedule should be filled with Longlife oil.

Martins of Basingstoke incorrectly charged me extra for Longlife in May 2009. I never bothered to challenge them though.

Winchester Motor Company (VW service centre) do actually use LL oil on T & D servicing as per the bulletin - these were the only dealers to to do this when I inquired around at my last service earlier this year.

I'm sure somone posted up the bulletin number on here about a year ago
.............my mate is a tech for vw (does mine for beer tokens) & he always uses the long life oil & mine is on time-distance.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 08:34:57 am »
so the t&d schedule is no good then? dunno wat im on but ill check 2morro

My service is done on T & D but I always ask them to use longlife oil.

You need to decide which schedule suits you best, Longlife schedule if you tend to drive longer distances, motorways etc... T&D schedule if you tend to do short trips, not as much motorway etc...

Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI