Make a donation

Author Topic: 3rd Service - Dealer has used Magnatec 5w40...  (Read 11902 times)

Offline Mako V12V

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
    • Astons, Porsches & Golf GTIs
Re: 3rd Service - Dealer has used Magnatec 5w40...
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2010, 05:39:41 pm »
Ditto!
VW Golf Edition 30, Candy White, 3dr Manual. Plus a stunning Aston Martin V12 Vantage!

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2010, 08:25:20 pm »
Not all stealers are using the wrong oil.  I think it seems to be those w@nker stealers who (a) think they can get away with it, and (b) don't give a toss about protecting the VW 'brand'.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline mafri

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2010, 08:36:36 pm »
Thanks to Sean and others for replying. Unfortunately, it was all a bit late for me, as I decided to leave it to the wisdom(!) of the dealer and to leave it.

I'm now going to get a oil and filter change to 5w30 at my local VW independent - they've got a decent rep, and (particularly as this isn't the first time they've let me down) the dealer won't be seeing any more of my money. That'll see me through to the next 'proper' service.

It's a pity, when I next change my car I will be reluctant to go VW as their dealer network is so poor - you'd think that VW HQ would wake up to that fact.
 :fighting:

Offline skifast

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2010, 09:32:16 pm »
give vw customer service a call and ask them what should be used  by vw dealers ,if the dealer has'nt done it right ,see if they can do anything about it.    i'm suprised that a main dealer uses castrol as vw's own brand of oil is quantum.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2010, 10:12:59 pm »
give vw customer service a call and ask them what should be used  by vw dealers ,if the dealer has'nt done it right ,see if they can do anything about it.
Sadly, you've probably got more hope of urinating through the eye of a needle.  Another forum member has already tried approaching VW UK HQ - after they put 10w40 in it - VWUK tried to state that 505.00 was a better spec than 504.00!!!!!  :fighting:

i'm suprised that a main dealer uses castrol as vw's own brand of oil is quantum.
That isn't correct.  Quantum is VW UKs brand for the 'independent motor trade' - Quantum, whilst being made by Castrol for VW UK - is not officially recognised by VW Germany (for the sake of main dealer servicing).
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline skifast

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2010, 12:44:31 am »
thanks for explaining the relationship between  castrol ,quantum and vw.as a mechanic friend of mine looks after my car he orders from TPS so my car gets the quantum 5w 30 oil.Who tells the tech in the dealers which oil to use? does he decide,or is it on the job sheet

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2010, 07:37:33 am »
I imagine it depends on what the best deal they can get on a big drum of the stuff and nothing more academic than that.  Last year my dealer was using Mobil 1 oils, this year they used Quantum. 
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2010, 12:06:11 pm »
thanks for explaining the relationship between  castrol ,quantum and vw.as a mechanic friend of mine looks after my car he orders from TPS so my car gets the quantum 5w 30 oil.Who tells the tech in the dealers which oil to use? does he decide,or is it on the job sheet
You're welcome.

The job sheet from VW Germany will state the correct specification oil, but the brand of oil is purely dependent on the bulk oil supply contract for the individual dealership.  Most are Castrol, but some are Shell, and a few are Mobil.
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2010, 12:09:24 pm »
I imagine it depends on what the best deal they can get on a big drum of the stuff and nothing more academic than that.  Last year my dealer was using Mobil 1 oils, this year they used Quantum.
Official dealers should not be using Quantum (unless this has been specifically agreed in advance with the customer).

But I think I know why they are using Quantum . . .
------